SportsWrath

QB Hell

Virginia Giant

Avoid QB Hell  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Giants handle the QB situation

• Trade up for Murray
    • Draft Haskins (possibly having to trade up a few spots)
    • Ride with Lulu
    • Trade for Rosen (17th pick)
    • Trade for another QB with extensive experience (Like Winston/Bridgewater)
    • Trade for a younger/less experienced QB (Beathard, Kizor)
    • Trade down in 2019 to trade up in 2020
    • Trade for another specific player (name them)

Grier in 2nd wouldn't be bad. Would trade back into 1st even for him. He would have to sit a year and the Giants would have to make it a point to get him reps over that year.

I don't think that's a problem, any QB the Giants draft will be waiting a year atleast, maybe two.

I have a problem with drafting a QB you cannot start immediately. When the Giants drafted Eli Manning and brought in Kurt Warner and started him for 6 games, everyone would have been better off in hindsight just starting Eli Manning. QBs need to learn the game out on the field taking meaningful snaps. It is only when the red flags start popping up during the season should you pull that rookie franchise QB and replace him with the veteran backup QB.

If the Giants draft a QB this year, he has to start and not sit on the bench. If he can't handle it in year one, we'll spend the next four years making excuses for him. If there isn't a QB who can come in and start, don't draft a QB.

Thats sound football policy right there. But of course how do you explain Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahones, Tom Brady, to name a few?

Rivers sat two years behind Brees.

Carson Palmer sat a year behind Kitna? I think.

Goff sat behind whoever was there and was even pulled a few games.

I guess it just depends on the QB.

Some might learn better in the class room the first year, others learn better on the field.

Just one of the fun things of the NFL, you can ruin you're QBs career simply by playing or not playing him his first year.

Rivers sat two years behind Brees.

Carson Palmer sat a year behind Kitna? I think.

Goff sat behind whoever was there and was even pulled a few games.

I guess it just depends on the QB.

Some might learn better in the class room the first year, others learn better on the field.

Just one of the fun things of the NFL, you can ruin you're QBs career simply by playing or not playing him his first year.

John Kitna- thats good knowledge right there! Wasnt he a god squad member along with Warner?

Thats sound football policy right there. But of course how do you explain Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahones, Tom Brady, to name a few?

Yeah I'm exactly the opposite. NCAA to NFL is a huge jump and I'm not so sure letting Eli sit the whole year his rookie year wouldn't have led to more success earlier for him and the Giants. Some QB's are ready right out of the gate, many others benefit from a year of learning the system, learning how to be a pro, a full year of not having the expectations, etc. Any QB we pick, even if we get Rosen, should sit behind Eli for the whole year with spot playing time towards the end of the year in garbage time.

My last response to you would be to learn about a topic before you respond to it.

Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years behind Brett Farve, Patrick Mahomes would probably be the same QB if he didn't sit behind Alex Smith simply because the Chiefs run a prolific scoring offense and the tradition continues with a QB coach like Andy Reid. I look forward to seeing him repeating that performance because a career isn't established on one year worth of stats. I'm glad Tom Brady because you would fail to name another QBs between the two.

:D

What the hell are you trying to say? next time you feel like writing just log off your Tandy 2000 and walk around the streets of Massapequa for a bit. Sounds like youre breathing in some black mold.

My last response to you would be to learn about a topic before you respond to it.

Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years behind Brett Farve, Patrick Mahomes would probably be the same QB if he didn't sit behind Alex Smith simply because the Chiefs run a prolific scoring offense and the tradition continues with a QB coach like Andy Reid. I look forward to seeing him repeating that performance because a career isn't established on one year worth of stats. I'm glad Tom Brady because you would fail to name another QBs between the two.

:D

Hello gents. How has everyone been? Thought I'd stop by for a visit and offer my .02 on this thread.

To me, it's not about getting a QB at any cost...it's about getting the right guy. I'm not sure that can be done this year. I'm not a fan of Josh Rosen in any way. I wasn't enamored with him coming out of UCLA and he did nothing this year to change that perception. Haskins is not the homerun pick I'd feel super confident in as the next franchise QB, and although Murray certainly is intriguing, let's face it, he's going to be a Cardinal, and certainly the risk-reward for trading up to #1 I think is too cost prohibitive.

If Ryan Finley is sitting there in the third I wouldn't be upset if they took him. I think he has tools to be a successful NFL QB. But I'm most inclined to wait until next year. A trade down to get another first rounder in 2020 and have two shots and/or the draft capital to move up in that draft is what I'd advocate for.

There are 4 guys expected to go in 2020 that I'd be more excited about than taking any QB in this draft...that being Fromm, Tua, Herbert, and K.J. Costello. And the least talked about, yet could be the real prize in retrospect years from now, is actually Costello.

That said, I'd love for both Murray and Haskins to go in the top 5, with Tampa Bay rumored to be all-in on Devin White...pushing one of Quinnen Williiams, Josh Allen, or Nick Bosa to the Giants at #6. If that happens, good for the Giants. Gettleman will have the ability to move up for one of the big 4 next year without a trade down this year if that happens, although having two firsts next year certainly would make that easier.

The fall-back to all of this would be White or Oliver at #6...I have some concerns on each but in both cases the upside is certainly worth the pick. I'm very excited to see what will happen on April 25th!

That said, I'd love for both Murray and Haskins to go in the top 5, with Tampa Bay rumored to be all-in on Devin White...pushing one of Quinnen Williiams, Josh Allen, or Nick Bosa to the Giants at #6. If that happens, good for the Giants. Gettleman will have the ability to move up for one of the big 4 next year without a trade down this year if that happens, although having two firsts next year certainly would make that easier.

The fall-back to all of this would be White or Oliver at #6...I have some concerns on each but in both cases the upside is certainly worth the pick. I'm very excited to see what will happen on April 25th!

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Especially Josh Allen, I think he's going to be a dominant, gold jacket level player.

Good to see you around, Jim.

Hello gents. How has everyone been? Thought I'd stop by for a visit and offer my .02 on this thread.

To me, it's not about getting a QB at any cost...it's about getting the right guy. I'm not sure that can be done this year. I'm not a fan of Josh Rosen in any way. I wasn't enamored with him coming out of UCLA and he did nothing this year to change that perception. Haskins is not the homerun pick I'd feel super confident in as the next franchise QB, and although Murray certainly is intriguing, let's face it, he's going to be a Cardinal, and certainly the risk-reward for trading up to #1 I think is too cost prohibitive.

If Ryan Finley is sitting there in the third I wouldn't be upset if they took him. I think he has tools to be a successful NFL QB. But I'm most inclined to wait until next year. A trade down to get another first rounder in 2020 and have two shots and/or the draft capital to move up in that draft is what I'd advocate for.

There are 4 guys expected to go in 2020 that I'd be more excited about than taking any QB in this draft...that being Fromm, Tua, Herbert, and K.J. Costello. And the least talked about, yet could be the real prize in retrospect years from now, is actually Costello.

Hey Jim- hope you're doing well.

I have a problem with drafting a QB you cannot start immediately. When the Giants drafted Eli Manning and brought in Kurt Warner and started him for 6 games, everyone would have been better off in hindsight just starting Eli Manning. QBs need to learn the game out on the field taking meaningful snaps. It is only when the red flags start popping up during the season should you pull that rookie franchise QB and replace him with the veteran backup QB.

If the Giants draft a QB this year, he has to start and not sit on the bench. If he can't handle it in year one, we'll spend the next four years making excuses for him. If there isn't a QB who can come in and start, don't draft a QB.

Temp, youre always wrong.

Thats some great insight right there... welcome back Jim.

1st rounders need to start year 1 or it's a failed pick in my book.

2nd rounders and even late first round guys can take a year and I'm good with it.

Clock is accelerated for QBs

Patrick Mahomes is a failed pick?

2nd rounders and even late first round guys can take a year and I'm good with it.

I disagree....

Thats ridiculous- we happen to have the luxury of an able QB right now. Most teams who start new QBs right away dont have that.

A thought;

1; The Giants will never be able to land Rosen simply because I think Washington and San Diego LA are going to offer more than what the Giants ever will or what DG will give up for "used" rookie.

2; Manning is still the starter next year so any QB drafted will have the benefit of not having to be slammed into a starting offence week 1 with the worst pass blocking Oline in the NFL, so I think that allows the Giants to go after any of these QBs who arent "day one" guys.

3; Haskins is supposedly falling down teams draft boards, might be able to get him at #17.

A thought;

1; The Giants will never be able to land Rosen simply because I think Washington and San Diego LA are going to offer more than what the Giants ever will or what DG will give up for "used" rookie.

2; Manning is still the starter next year so any QB drafted will have the benefit of not having to be slammed into a starting offence week 1 with the worst pass blocking Oline in the NFL, so I think that allows the Giants to go after any of these QBs who arent "day one" guys.

3; Haskins is supposedly falling down teams draft boards, might be able to get him at #17.

I honestly dont think the Giants will draft a QB in the first round. As I stated before... its going to be Defense rusher with the 6th pick and OL with the 17th. Maybe trade down...

I honestly dont think the Giants will draft a QB in the first round. As I stated before... its going to be Defense rusher with the 6th pick and OL with the 17th. Maybe trade down...

Yep... I dont want Haskins even at 17... I prefer Wil Grier in the 2nd round.