SportsWrath

Snacks Traded!!!

Iceman_NYG

My problem is they arent getting anything for the moves they have made, and two starting quality players are gone. There is nothing to say, heck the odds are there is very little chance they end up with a single starter who ever plays a down for them with these picks.

They're getting draft picks and cap room. Which is all you can do in football when you rebuild.

Snacks cost a lot of money and he is about to be 30. A fifth is what you get for him.

Jj watt wouldn't command much more in a trade.

Apple is young, inexpensive and has upside. Hence a 2 picks, one in the top 100

They can use the money and picks for players and trades to fill much more important areas. They actually have a lot of nice young players on defense that have talent and shown potential...at every level..line, Linebacker and secondary.

I just want to hear a reasonable explanation for trading Snacks period..... and why for that cheap.

easy

1) he isn't a schematic fit in Bettcher's D

2) he's a 350 lb 30 year old.... short shelf life for guys that size

3) by the time the Giants are competitive again, he'll be 32 (at least), and even if he can still play his contract will be up

I totally get the move.

The two players behind him are also just as good.

Tomlinson is good already and is going to get better. We won't miss snacks as much as people say.

Don't know much about the corner to replace apple, but if it's the kid I think, then I'm happy because the kid I'm thinking about doesn't play much...but I noticed his skills when watching preseason

easy

1) he isn't a schematic fit in Bettcher's D

2) he's a 350 lb 30 year old.... short shelf life for guys that size

3) by the time the Giants are competitive again, he'll be 32 (at least), and even if he can still play his contract will be up

I totally get the move.

So you trade a guy whos arguably the 2nd best DT in the league for a 5th? A 5th? Let that sink in.

Tomlinson is good already and is going to get better. We won't miss snacks as much as people say.

Don't know much about the corner to replace apple, but if it's the kid I think, then I'm happy because the kid I'm thinking about doesn't play much...but I noticed his skills when watching preseason

BW Webb will be the starter, Grant Haley I think is the slot corner now.

I think the preseason star you may be thinking of was Donte Deayon, but he was recently waived. He was one of my favorites, but was far too undersized. Or maybe it was Haley, he showed well also.

Deayon? (Sp)

So you trade a guy whos arguably the 2nd best DT in the league for a 5th? A 5th? Let that sink in.

well he isn't the 2nd best DT in the league. Not even close. Maybe not even the best DT on the team.

He's arguably the best space eating DT in the league, but he's a 2 down, situational player. That, combined with his conditioning - he's a fat fuck - means he's not giving you more than 50% of defensive snaps. That really mitigates his value.

if he was the second best DT, which he's not, he would of gotten more than a fifth.

I'm surprised they were able to trade him at all , a 30 something DT who might play one or two more years.

Then again he went to a team that can use him asap.

Don't get me wrong he's still a good DT but BJ Hill and Tomlinson have really come into their own, no reason to have them get snaps taken away from them, let them start and get better.

A free agent DT of his caliber and production would cost upwards of 14-18 mil per year on average, so getting Snacks for basically half that was a bargain against our cap. Thus the move to trade him makes no sense, especially given he has two more years on his contract and we only got a lousy 5th rounder.

The Lions got an absolute steal and Getty was drunk and/or raped.

I agree BiC. Harrison may be the better player today, but do you think he'll still be better than Tomlinson or Hill a season from now? I don't. And they're both more versatile players, better fits for Bettcher's D.

I do, and we now have a gap on the DL. Those other two arent even close to what Harrison brings.

if he was the second best DT, which he's not, he would of gotten more than a fifth.

I'm surprised they were able to trade him at all , a 30 something DT who might play one or two more years.

Then again he went to a team that can use him asap.

Don't get me wrong he's still a good DT but BJ Hill and Tomlinson have really come into their own, no reason to have them get snaps taken away from them, let them start and get better.

I'm not upset with the trade... I'm upset with the price. Easily a 3rd rounder.

well he isn't the 2nd best DT in the league. Not even close. Maybe not even the best DT on the team.

He's arguably the best space eating DT in the league, but he's a 2 down, situational player. That, combined with his conditioning - he's a fat fuck - means he's not giving you more than 50% of defensive snaps. That really mitigates his value.

Another perspective. Hes a tremendous disrupter, headache, and problem for OCs for half the game. Tomlinson and Hill cant claim that type of impact yet.

I do, and we now have a gap on the DL. Those other two arent even close to what Harrison brings.

Another perspective. Hes a tremendous disrupter, headache, and problem for OCs for half the game. Tomlinson and Hill cant claim that type of impact yet.

Not yet, and maybe not ever. But that doesn't mean there was some sort of front office raping either.

A free agent DT of his caliber and production would cost upwards of 14-18 mil per year on average, so getting Snacks for basically half that was a bargain against our cap. Thus the move to trade him makes no sense, especially given he has two more years on his contract and we only got a lousy 5th rounder.

The Lions got an absolute steal and Getty was drunk and/or raped.

Haven't you read the rest of the thread? He's old and fat and undersized and overpaid and useless. :doh:

Haven't you read the rest of the thread? He's old and fat and undersized and overpaid and useless. :doh:

He's none of those things, don't know why Storm is so obsessed with it.

He's a very good run stopping DT, on a very very bad team looking at multiple years to rebuild.

If he was going to get traded then by all rights he was probably going to get released, why not try to get some value for him in that case?

BJ Hill and Tomlinson have done nothing to show that they are not ready to start full time, and can make plays, Hill is the co-sack leader on the team.

People are highly over valuing Snacks, and I don't understand why.

Lol the run game is still bottom ten in the league. What does it matter having a 30 year old one dimensional DT that plays 50% of snaps? I get it, you guys get attached to players who arent useless and they have been few and far between but its time for this team to take a handful of young players and build around them.

And obviously, Detroit for the better end of the deal.

They got a 30 something DT who can step in day one and make their awful run defense better.

However the Giants also got rid of a 30 something DT on a large contract, who cant rush the passer and doesn't even see the field on third down or passing plays, for a pick that Getty is probably going to use as ammo to move up in the draft at some point. Not to mention freeing up valuable cap room.

I can see why people are upset, I mean I would of liked to see him retire in blue, but the team is 1-6, with no real future ahead of it outside of a bunch of over valued contracts and lack of draft picks to build a team.

A 5th isn't moving us up for shit. The only logic here with Apple and Snacks is in clearing cap room for signing a top-shelf OL but a mid-season fire sale is not the best way to get value.

Those aren't big cap saving moves unfortunately. I trust Gettlemen on these trades, just wish we were trading guys like Curtis Riley for a fifth rounder, BW Webb for a fourth, etc.

A 5th isn't moving us up for shit. The only logic here with Apple and Snacks is in clearing cap room for signing a top-shelf OL but a mid-season fire sale is not the best way to get value.

So waiting till the off season when teams load up on free agents and players from the draft is?

The Giants could of just cut him outright in the off season and gotten no value.

The Lions needed help with their run game, the Giants got something in return, before the trade deadline when most trades happen in the NFL.

A late round pick, plus another pick usually moves you up in the draft, but people often forget that you can move up/down in the draft after years of JR.

Obviously if other NFL teams thought he was as valuable as people make him out to be here, teams would of been throwing better deals out there to get "THE BEST RUN STUFFER EVER!" the moment Getty let it fly he was looking to trade him.

My bet is the Lions were one of the few teams to even inquire about it, or even make an offer.