SportsWrath

40 Yard Dash times

vermin79

Read this article. I was actually shocked when I first read it, but it actually makes sense. NFL scouts times are a little exaggerated, probably because the public now sees a 4.4 as fast, but really there is only a select few in the NFL that can pull this off, so the scouts probably make low estimates on a guy who is really fast because of all the hype that surrounds it. I mean if they told us the fastest guy in this draft ran a 4.45, which is probably what it was, we would have the misconception that this would be one slow group in this years draft class.

10. 40-yard dash times: Talk about exaggerated numbers. I remember when scouts would tell you they had Deion Sanders and Vance Johnson clocked at 4.19, which was astounding. It was also impossible. When Ben Johnson won the 100 meters in the 1988 Olympics -- a race he forfeited when he flunked a drug test -- he finished in 9.79 seconds and scorched the first 50 in 5.56 seconds. Experts who broke down his race into 10-meter increments estimated he went through the 40 at 4.38 seconds. Johnson was a notoriously fast starter. He was in spikes. He was on a fast track. And he had a slight tail wind. Yet NFL scouts would have you believe Deion or The Vance was faster. Hey, at this year's scouting combine they had tight end Vernon Davis clocked at 4.4, with two estimates of 4.38. I know he's fast for his size, but let me ask you: Who wins in a 40 ... Ben Johnson or Vernon Davis? Thank you.

Read this article. I was actually shocked when I first read it, but it actually makes sense. NFL scouts times are a little exaggerated, probably because the public now sees a 4.4 as fast, but really there is only a select few in the NFL that can pull this off, so the scouts probably make low estimates on a guy who is really fast because of all the hype that surrounds it. I mean if they told us the fastest guy in this draft ran a 4.45, which is probably what it was, we would have the misconception that this would be one slow group in this years draft class.

10. 40-yard dash times: Talk about exaggerated numbers. I remember when scouts would tell you they had Deion Sanders and Vance Johnson clocked at 4.19, which was astounding. It was also impossible. When Ben Johnson won the 100 meters in the 1988 Olympics -- a race he forfeited when he flunked a drug test -- he finished in 9.79 seconds and scorched the first 50 in 5.56 seconds. Experts who broke down his race into 10-meter increments estimated he went through the 40 at 4.38 seconds. Johnson was a notoriously fast starter. He was in spikes. He was on a fast track. And he had a slight tail wind. Yet NFL scouts would have you believe Deion or The Vance was faster. Hey, at this year's scouting combine they had tight end Vernon Davis clocked at 4.4, with two estimates of 4.38. I know he's fast for his size, but let me ask you: Who wins in a 40 ... Ben Johnson or Vernon Davis? Thank you.

stats like this are almost pointless, it's what they do on the field that counts..

it always amazes me when players stock rises after the combine...

stats like this are almost pointless, it's what they do on the field that counts..

it always amazes me when players stock rises after the combine...

I agree, the combine produces more players who turn out to be bust because they hype them up so much