SportsWrath

Davis Webb wavied.

BlueInCanada

And I'm asking why you still think it's a Tanney over Webb and not a Lauletta over Webb?

You just for some reason are honed in on Tanney.

You never put fourth a case on Webb, you said he's young and has work ethic, blah blah blah.

Guess who else does? Lauletta.

Tanney showed in a single pre season game he was just as effective as Webb, to say that Webb was somehow better than either of these guys is just homerism.

What was so certain about Webb though?

This is what I don't understand.

People act like he was a proven commodity, when he's a backup QB with the same intangibles as Lauletta, and Tanney.

He hasnt started a single game, looked average in two of the three preseason games, and still hasn't been picked up by any team despite being a "clear put proven commodity as a #2 guy"

No one said Webb was a certainty. Now youre putting words in peoples mouthes and arguing against stuff no one implied.

Again, why Tanney over Webb?

oh maybe some people are acting like that --- I'm not one of them.

What I'm actually positing is that he perhaps didn't have the same intangibles as Lauletta or Tanney.... rather, he was much worse. Hey, I'm looking for a way out of this where our front office doesn't come off as inept, work with me here! LOL

Not a damn thing is certain about any of them, but all other things being equal, if I'm given the choice between 23 year old uncertainty and 31 year old uncertainty, I know which way I lean.

Oh no I'm not saying you NSA, just everyone going off about releasing Webb seems to have it out that he is backup material, that he was something special waiting in the wing.

30+ QBs were all released from teams yesterday, varying ages, degrees of athleticism, abilities, knowledge, starting experience, etc.

Webb is just one of them.

And I would agree go with the younger guy and they did they chose Lauletta over Webb.

Think of any team in the NFL what's the usual make up behind their starting QB?

1. veteren QB who has been around the league, usually a journeyman.

1. young developmental guy.

The Giants got this in Tanney and Lauletta.

I cant think of an instance where some team went into the season where the backups were two young developmental guys with only one year of experience between the two.

Because it’s clear that it WAS Webb va. Lauletta.

Tanney is a bystander in all of this. If you can’t grasp this then I don’t know what to tell you. It was never Tanney vs Webb, it was clearly Lauletta going against Webb.

You are doing a terrific rainman impression right now though.

Alex Tannnney. Alex Tannnnnney. 7 minutes to Tannnnnney.

yeah, but I think what is confusing V, myself, and others is.... why was it Webb vs. Lauletta, with Tanney as a bystander? I'm not following this ridged thinking that a team can only develop one QB at a time.

Maybe had I seen anything on the field that made me think Tanney was a better player than either Webb or Lauletta, then I would get it.

Anybody else remember Rich Gannon? Dude was never given a chance, hung on with a Tanney like career, was never the guy, never was 'developed'.... he just hung on and kept getting better, developing himself until he became an MVP caliber player. But every time I ever saw Gannon on the field, I came away thinking, man, that guy can play.

Youre being obtuse.

It was never Webb vs Tanney or Tanny vs. Lauletta.

It was always Webb vs. Lauletta the second Lauletta was drafted. If you want to argue about how/why the Giants cant develop 2 young QBs thats fine and the answer is practice time with the CBA. Only so many snaps to go around.

It was never Tanney against Webb/Lauletta. Tanney is here because hes played in real games before and can grasp NFL offensive concepts, something Webb clearly couldnt do.

If he has so much untapped potential, why didnt anyone pick him up the second he was waived? Why didnt anyone trade for him?

Cmon dude.

yeah, but I think what is confusing V, myself, and others is.... why was it Webb vs. Lauletta, with Tanney as a bystander? I'm not following this ridged thinking that a team can only develop one QB at a time.

Maybe had I seen anything on the field that made me think Tanney was a better player than either Webb or Lauletta, then I would get it.

Anybody else remember Rich Gannon? Dude was never given a chance, hung on with a Tanney like career, was never the guy, never was 'developed'.... he just hung on and kept getting better, developing himself until he became an MVP caliber player. But every time I ever saw Gannon on the field, I came away thinking, man, that guy can play.

By Tanneys age, Gannon has started nearly 40 games at that point. Whats Tanneys resume?

If this has been a situation like choosing Lauletta and a starting capable vet over Webb, that logic makes sense.I just dont think you get any benefit with Tanney over Webb in terms of backup capability this year, theyd both probably perform about the same if thrust into the starting position...so given that they have equal backup capability, to me it then turns to a comparison on upside potential, where to me Tanney has less than Webb.

No one said Webb was a certainty. Now youre putting words in peoples mouthes and arguing against stuff no one implied.

Again, why Tanney over Webb?

Becuase the Giants didnt want to roll into the season with a total of one year of experiance behind Eli?

Tanney showed in a single preseason game he was just as effective as Webb.

Maybe Webb wasnt the QB that the team wanted?

People try to defend it with "blind devotion to the team" or some garbage like that, when lets face it, we only see what Webb does on the field, not off of it or in practice.

So I still come back to it, why hold onto two young developmental QBs? Why keep Webb around when the staff knows they want to keep developing Lauletta? What has Webb proven at all in two pre seasons that he should remain on this team that Lauletta or Tanney havent shown? All this talk about "potential" doesnt mean anything when the staff knows he's never going to get a chance to show it.

Ryan Nassib had potential, every player in the NFL has potential, it doesnt mean it's going to work out, or they are even going to get the chance.

Youre being obtuse.

It was never Webb vs Tanney or Tanny vs. Lauletta.

It was always Webb vs. Lauletta the second Lauletta was drafted. If you want to argue about how/why the Giants cant develop 2 young QBs thats fine and the answer is practice time with the CBA. Only so many snaps to go around.

It was never Tanney against Webb/Lauletta. Tanney is here because hes played in real games before and can grasp NFL offensive concepts, something Webb clearly couldnt do.

If he has so much untapped potential, why didnt anyone pick him up the second he was waived? Why didnt anyone trade for him?

Cmon dude.

You keep saying what it was and wasnt...you dont know. What we know is they kept Tanney over Webb. Why? When has Tanney grasped NFL concepts? If hes there as a Jason Garrett type for Laulettas development, that logic makes sense, but Ill agree to disagree on the move.

Becuase the Giants didnt want to roll into the season with a total of one year of experiance behind Eli?

Tanney showed in a single preseason game he was just as effective as Webb.

Maybe Webb wasnt the QB that the team wanted?

People try to defend it with "blind devotion to the team" or some garbage like that, when lets face it, we only see what Webb does on the field, not off of it or in practice.

So I still come back to it, why hold onto two young developmental QBs? Why keep Webb around when the staff knows they want to keep developing Lauletta? What has Webb proven at all in two pre seasons that he should remain on this team that Lauletta or Tanney havent shown? All this talk about "potential" doesnt mean anything when the staff knows he's never going to get a chance to show it.

Ryan Nassib had potential, every player in the NFL has potential, it doesnt mean it's going to work out, or they are even going to get the chance.

Why two young unproven QBs? How about why Tanney and one unproven QB? What if that one unproven QB (Lauletta) doesn't work out. Two unproven QBs has better developmental chances than one. Competition helps as well.

Especially considering Eli has what, 2-3 years left? Is Tanney going to figure it out by age 33-34?

I hear you, that's why I'm pounding the table a bit on this one. Not a single idea put forth for why he was dumped in the last week of preseason makes me think highly of our front office or coaching staff.

Got to be a personality issue, something we wouldn't necessarily know about. That's the only 'good' reason I can figure.

If not that, or an almost absurd degree of certainty about Lauletta, then I don't know....

Maybe despite his "film room hero" tag he's just kinda a dumbass and they think he's reached his ceiling?

Why two young unproven QBs? How about why Tanney and one unproven QB? What if that one unproven QB doesnt work out. Two unproven QBs has better developmental chances than one. Competition helps as well.

Especially considering Eli has what, 2-3 years left? Is Tanney going to figure it out by age 33-34?

Talk about conjecture, now you're just getting into "what ifs" and "hey maybe in a few years"

Is Webb going to figure it out in a few years? maybe, Is Lauletta? maybe. Odds are they are probably going to end up in the same spot regardless, on the bench.

Is Tanney the future? Was Carr the future? What about Hefty Lefty was he the future? What about Jesse Palmer was he the future? What about Geno Smith? Or wait were they all just journeyman QBs brought in for experience at the QB position?

It's like NFL teams bring in guys with experience for no reason at all, especially at QB.

They should just keep 20 somethings behind all the starters because they have more "potential" and "upside" I suppose.

Talk about conjecture, now you're just getting into "what ifs" and "hey maybe in a few years"

Is Webb going to figure it out in a few years? maybe, Is Lauletta? maybe. Odds are they are probably going to end up in the same spot regardless, on the bench.

Is Tanney the future? Was Carr the future? What about Hefty Lefty was he the future? What about Jesse Palmer was he the future? What about Geno Smith? Or wait were they all just journeyman QBs brought in for experience at the QB position?

It's like NFL teams bring in guys with experience for no reason at all, especially at QB.

They should just keep 20 somethings behind all the starters because they have more "potential" and "upside" I suppose.

Youre conjecturing as much as anyone as well.

You want to speculate on odds of developing a successful qb in the future? Here are your odds...Webb + Lauletta > Lauletta + Tanney, via the bulleted points I made earlier. Please tell me why Lauletta + Tanney is better odds.

It again comes down to why Tanney over Webb? So far the rationale Ive heard so far is that Tanney is some kind of secret QB whisperer that will help Lauletta develop, which no one else knew about.

Maybe despite his "film room hero" tag he's just kinda a dumbass and they think he's reached his ceiling?

He's not bright, that is for sure. He makes up for it with work ethic. And he's not stupid either, just very regular.

Maybe for that reason alone many of us hoped he could succeed. Wish fulfillment that with enough hard work it's possible to fill in any gap in natural ability.

Youre conjecturing as much as anyone as well.

You want to speculate on odds of developing a successful qb in the future? Here are your odds...Webb + Lauletta > Lauletta + Tanney, via the bulleted points I made earlier. Please tell me why Lauletta + Tanney is better odds.

It again comes down to why Tanney over Webb? So far the rationale Ive heard so far is that Tanney is some kind of secret QB whisperer that will help Lauletta develop, which no one else knew about.

I've given you the reason why it's Tanney over Webb but you fail to believe any of it because of "potential" which is something no NFL coach is ever going to side with.

You're argument is based solely on the fact that Webb is young lol so is Lauletta. Nothing you've stated as a positive for Webb (with ethic, talented) is a Webb only trait or something a NFL coach is going to keep a guy over. And that's not conjecture look at the cuts in the NFL of any, young developmental QB year in and out.

Tanney/Lauletta give us as much as an upside as any combination of the three guys, just with more experience at the QB position.

And it all comes back to what does Webb bring to the table that Tanney/Lauletta don't? Besides having this non existent "potential" that has become word of the day around here.

Tanney has proven he can play up to Webbs level in a single pre season game, yet Webb has some unseen trait only us fans see and non of the coaches in the NFL do.

You're argument is two untested QBS who statistically have no chance of making it in the NFL vs a vet QB who's bounced around and only one of those QBS.

Both scenarios have the same result and likely good to accomplish the same thing.

Eli retiring and the Giants looking for their franchise guy.