SportsWrath

New Giants D.C.

Virginia Giant

Agree with Vernon, he could be an excellent linebacker in a 3-4.

Might rejuvenate his career..not that he has had a bad one, but I always thought he could be even better

I don't think he had a strong season this shitty one we just had... he and JPP were invisible a lot..

I don't think he had a strong season this shitty one we just had... he and JPP were invisible a lot..

They also dealt with little to no rotation at the DE spot. They were out there...a lot. Let's not forget that our offense didn't do the defense many favors all season.

They also dealt with little to no rotation at the DE spot. They were out there...a lot. Let's not forget that our offense didn't do the defense many favors all season.

Agreed...

Btw the more I read about Bettcher the more excited I get about our D... and after reading an article about Bruce Arian or Arians? singing his praises, I'm now reading that the Giants won't need major changes in ttheir personnel as the Cardinals played the nickel package 48% of the time.. etc:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/01/giants_players_most_affected_by_expected_hiring_of.html

Hmm, sounds like they may turn JPP into a stand up olb in this system.

I don't think that is a good fit, JPP lacks the instincts to play in space.

I think it's Vernon who will be the stand up OLB not JPP...

I think it's Vernon who will be the stand up OLB not JPP...

that's what I thought too, but Bruce Arians said that when they recruited JPP as a free agent, they were asking him to lose weight and move to OLB.

When they couldn't land JPP, they traded for Chandler Jones.

And I didn't realize this, but I just read that Vernon played DE in a 3-4 in Miami.... and I can see that, his technique is good enough for it, he plays the run wonderfully.

Regarding JPP, he hasn't seemed the same since the hand injury. Quality player and not worth cutting, but certainly not dominant in any way. Just my opinion. He just doesn't jump off the page anymore. Retooling the DE position is about as crucial as finding Eli's replacement. The new staff has some significant challenges ahead of them and their success will, and should, determine their future.

Regarding JPP, he hasn't seemed the same since the hand injury. Quality player and not worth cutting, but certainly not dominant in any way. Just my opinion. He just doesn't jump off the page anymore. Retooling the DE position is about as crucial as finding Eli's replacement. The new staff has some significant challenges ahead of them and their success will, and should, determine their future.

Honestly I've kind of felt that way about JPP since his sophomore season. He's never reached that's season's sack total, and that year was the last time he had a play that determined the outcome of a game (the FG block to beat Dallas). Let's not forget too, his third year was the year that he had back surgery in June and Coughlin was trotting him out every week in September despite having Tuck, Osi, and Kiwanuka on the roster. He's never been the same player since.

He had good stats many years but doesn't have the killer instinct that the Taylors and Strahans had in the past... the ability to take over a game and make a few pivotal plays that get you the win. Instead he gets two sacks when the other team is already up by three scores or we're 3-8 and out of the playoffs.

that's what I thought too, but Bruce Arians said that when they recruited JPP as a free agent, they were asking him to lose weight and move to OLB.

When they couldn't land JPP, they traded for Chandler Jones.

And I didn't realize this, but I just read that Vernon played DE in a 3-4 in Miami.... and I can see that, his technique is good enough for it, he plays the run wonderfully.

Vernon is physically ready to be more OLB... JPP no so much... I'm not sure JPP stays in great shape.

Agreed... JPP doesn't exactly suck but like you said isn't scaring anyone either..

Nor does he ever seem to get off the snap as a pass rushing olb must. I don't see it, but... our new DC does. Sooo... I guess we are going to see...

I don't think the new DC does now... maybe that was their impression a few years back but things change... dude looks slow..

Agreed... JPP doesn't exactly suck but like you said isn't scaring anyone either..

When you think about what he's being paid and the fact he has to wear a clubbed hand due to missing fingers he sucks. I feel bad for him because accidents do happen and I'm sure he's trying his best but Reese could have just paid Hankins and kept the middle of the line with Harrison intact and still saved money.

When you think about what he's being paid and the fact he has to wear a clubbed hand due to missing fingers he sucks. I feel bad for him because accidents do happen and I'm sure he's trying his best but Reese could have just paid Hankins and kept the middle of the line with Harrison intact and still saved money.

Yep.

The JPP contract was a mistake. Now he is a great player that has durability issues and takes a very long time to warm up and impact games. It was a good thing the Giants didn't re-sign Hankins and the Giants would be in a better position right now if we didn't have to pay JPP $11 million this season. Can he be traded for some help on the offensive line? I sure hope so.