SportsWrath

Shurmur expected to be next HC of the Giants

UK-Giantsfan

With essentially the same personnel and minimal injuries on his side, the defense went from pretty great to near the bottom in the league. I have never seen any consistency from Spags.

They were on the field an awful lot, Storm...

I'm not sure what to think of Shurmur. His reputation seems disproportionate to his success.

I heard something really interesting on a podcast today... basically that for someone in the league for this long, he's more or less still a mystery.

Yeah his offenses were pretty bad... but was that him or the fact that Mohammed Massoquoi is the best receiver on your team and Trent Williams is your best back... and your QB is Brandon Weeden?

I'm not sure what to think of Shurmur. His reputation seems disproportionate to his success.

I care little for a reputation that doesn't have the record to back it up. It looks like Shurmur's reputation is based entirely on this season with the Vikings and QB that has bounced around the league having an above average year.

Spagnuolo has presided over two of the worst defenses in NFL history. His tenure as head coach of the Rams was a disaster too. I'm not putting all of that on him. The Saints and Giants had bad personnel those years and the Rams were a mess at the time but you'd like to think his ability as a coach would shine through and make things a little better than they were. I've heard and read he runs a complex scheme so maybe that's why you see so many highs and lows. If it's clicking it looks awesome, like our '07 run and the last couple of months to close out last season but there's been a lot of really rough patches when you look at the entire body of work. I'm not against him staying but if he doesn't it won't bother me. He isn't Dick Lebeau or Wade Phillips.

Part of the NFL being awful is awful coaching. The Titans just hired Mike Vrabel whos been a coordinator all but one year and in that year the Texans were dead last in points allowed. I know you all hate college, but thats where the best coaching is

Part of the NFL being awful is awful coaching. The Titans just hired Mike Vrabel whos been a coordinator all but one year and in that year the Texans were dead last in points allowed. I know you all hate college, but thats where the best coaching is

As much as you say that, how hard is it to coach one team stacked with all the talent in the nation vs another that isnt? Then getting to a bowl game where you're only game plan is to fuck up less than the other team. (Actually maybe CFB is like the NFL lol)

I mean how many times has a great college coach gone to the NFL and failed vs how much that have succeed?

Yeah they were talking Vrabel up since week 1 this year and its ridiculous. He hasnt done anything.

take the best college players at each position, and the best college coach and have them play the browns..i assume the score of that game would be something like 134-0 Browns. I don't even think the college team would make a first down

It's a different game, it needs to be coached differently. Can't compare them... Guy in Seattle learned that.

And yes, college sucks

take the best college players at each position, and the best college coach and have them play the browns..i assume the score of that game would be something like 134-0 Browns. I don't even think the college team would make a first down

It's a different game, it needs to be coached differently. Can't compare them... Guy in Seattle learned that.

And yes, college sucks

I dunno, you're talking about the entire first round of draft picks on one team. Give a guy like Nick Saban a summer to coach them and I think it's a game.

As much as you say that, how hard is it to coach one team stacked with all the talent in the nation vs another that isnt? Then getting to a bowl game where you're only game plan is to fuck up less than the other team. (Actually maybe CFB is like the NFL lol)

I mean how many times has a great college coach gone to the NFL and failed vs how much that have succeed?

This is true college is about recruiting. I mean Alabama sucked before Saban because they werent getting top 100 guys like Saban has, heck Saban was 7-6 his first year at Bama