SportsWrath

Took half the season for one writer to be honest about Webb

Tempest

https://nypost.com/2017/12/25/giants-just-showed-exactly-why-davis-webb-wont-play/

There is no semblance of a cohesive offense, and thus there is no need for Webb to try to light up anything that will not ignite. Without the benefit of a competent offensive line or a consistent running game, Webb would be overmatched, no matter how fervently he has prepared this season, watching every move Manning makes. This is no knock on Webb, it is a knock on what the Giants put around their quarterback.

See I always thought this was the biggest reason not to start read from what I read.

The offense is made up of practice squad player nobodies, what type of evaluation are you gonna get on him when WRs are dropping passes/running wrong routes, RBs are averaging 1.8 yards a carry, and the Oline can't execute a simple blocking scheme(although they have been better in recent weeks).

And yet, they absolutely need to see his ability to lead an offense on gameday. It has absolutely nothing to do with being overmatched. He has to be able to read a live defense, no matter who is lining up next to him. I personally find the honesty absurd, short sighted, and incorrect. Just seeing if his mobility can legitimately turn a non competitive offense into a potential threat from play to play is incredibly useful. Absolutely a ridiculous assertion.

And yet, they absolutely need to see his ability to lead an offense on gameday. It has absolutely nothing to do with being overmatched. He has to be able to read a live defense, no matter who is lining up next to him. I personally find the honesty absurd, short sighted, and incorrect. Just seeing if his mobility can legitimately turn a non competitive offense into a potential threat from play to play is incredibly useful. Absolutely a ridiculous assertion.

Actually that's pretty much all it is.

How can you judge the kid on the single thing with this offense? I mean if you just want to see if he can run around in the backfield, I'm sure the coaches see it on a daily basis in practice.

He's not Vick, or Newton, or even Rodgers, why let him strut out with practice squad players? When you can just keep him back and roll with him in all likelihood into next season where he will have a legitimate chance to get some playing time.

People act as if he will show up and suddenly the Oline will block, the WRs will run routes and catch passes and the RBs will run for more than 1.8 yards a game.

Obviously... different posters have different philosophies... some of us think he should get his dick wet with hands on experience and some think we should wait... I've made it clear time and again that NOTHING and I mean nothing can prepare you for anything in life than to roll up your sleeves and jump in the pit... The fact Webb hasn't seen any action this season is despicable to the nth degree... even the article was confusing... arguing for why Webb shouldn't get any action while arguing how "keeping Webb inactive in all 15 games was short-sighted and, quite frankly, a fireable offense"... at any rate. Eli is not the future... I don't know how many on here can argue this point... Eli hasn't been a great QB... yes he's a class act and can be very good at times... but time to move on... He can still be the starter next year and even the following year but this team needs its next franchise QB... at least one with a lot less interceptions.

I've said this 1000 times now...you can judge his ability to command a huddle...see how the other guys, albeit primarily backups respond to him. You can see how he manages the game clock. You can see his decision making, even if it's between taking a sack and throwing the ball away. You can check his accuracy in game speed. You can see his command of the playbook....does he turn the right way on a handoff. You can see if he goes through his progressions correctly...at least the first one or two options...depending on protection. You can see if he can audible.

While he might have a subpar completion percentage and while he may throw a couple of picks...I'd rather him have those growing pains in a meaningless week 17 then when it might actually count for something.

Plus youre getting him game reps. I dont really care if he plays or not but Id prob rather his first taste of a real game be something meaningless than game 1 of a new season with more pressure.

Edit: oops got inb4d

My thought process is that you don't and can't half evaluate anyone. Had this team just faltered without the injuries I'd be all for Webb getting starts. But I can't see a fair evaluation with the current state of the team. How will we know if the pass was bad or the WR ran the wrong route? How can we judge a window throw when he's throwing to guys that were on the streets 2 weeks ago? I completely understand and agree with the need to get him on the field but how can we legitimately put this hypothetical game film up against the likes of a Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield?

Well, for one, the coaches know what play is called and I'd guess that they should know if the WR was in the right spot or not.

This is about getting a feel for what Webb could do, not necessarily what he does in this game. I'll agree with the sentiment that one game is too small a sample size. Sitting Eli was the right call weeks ago...just not for Geno. Webb should've been prepped from the bye week on, and then the move should've been made for Webb. McAdoo fucked it up and it, in addition to questionable playcalling, game management, and media relations, cost him his job.

Well, for one, the coaches know what play is called and I'd guess that they should know if the WR was in the right spot or not.

This is about getting a feel for what Webb could do, not necessarily what he does in this game. I'll agree with the sentiment that one game is too small a sample size. Sitting Eli was the right call weeks ago...just not for Geno. Webb should've been prepped from the bye week on, and then the move should've been made for Webb. McAdoo fucked it up and it, in addition to questionable playcalling, game management, and media relations, cost him his job.

That's the problem though, how are they going to get a feel for anything Webb does in a single game that they havent seen in pre-season or practice at this point? He's literally playing with an offense in pre-season form.

He's played in the pre-season, they've seen him throw, they know what his knowledge of the game book is, like i said they see this kid every single day for hours at a time.

It's like Damontre Moore, he wasnt getting any playing time although the fans were screaming he was the next coming of JJ Watt, and the moment he got on the field people could see why the coaches werent playing the kid, he wasnt ready in the slightest.

Webb was a MacAdoo pick, and JR picked him way to early IMO, he would of been there in the fourth round, now that both of them are gone, who knows what future the kid has here. Even if he played a in a few games this year, I highly doubt it would change the opinion of the new GM/HC at all.

My thought process is that you don't and can't half evaluate anyone. Had this team just faltered without the injuries I'd be all for Webb getting starts. But I can't see a fair evaluation with the current state of the team. How will we know if the pass was bad or the WR ran the wrong route? How can we judge a window throw when he's throwing to guys that were on the streets 2 weeks ago? I completely understand and agree with the need to get him on the field but how can we legitimately put this hypothetical game film up against the likes of a Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield?

Not sure that WE need to be able to tellany of that. The coaching staff will KNOW the answer to those questions.

I've said this 1000 times now...you can judge his ability to command a huddle...see how the other guys, albeit primarily backups respond to him. You can see how he manages the game clock. You can see his decision making, even if it's between taking a sack and throwing the ball away. You can check his accuracy in game speed. You can see his command of the playbook....does he turn the right way on a handoff. You can see if he goes through his progressions correctly...at least the first one or two options...depending on protection. You can see if he can audible.

While he might have a subpar completion percentage and while he may throw a couple of picks...I'd rather him have those growing pains in a meaningless week 17 then when it might actually count for something.

All of these things are just things the FANS need to know. The FANS would like to see what the coaches have seen on film and in practice. Coaches already have a good idea as to what Webb can do and what he needs to work on. Writers just need something to fill the pages week in and week out.

Sure it would be great to put Webb in but that happens when the coaches decide, not the FANS or the sports writers.

Obviously... different posters have different philosophies... some of us think he should get his dick wet with hands on experience and some think we should wait... I've made it clear time and again that NOTHING and I mean nothing can prepare you for anything in life than to roll up your sleeves and jump in the pit... The fact Webb hasn't seen any action this season is despicable to the nth degree... even the article was confusing... arguing for why Webb shouldn't get any action while arguing how "keeping Webb inactive in all 15 games was short-sighted and, quite frankly, a fireable offense"... at any rate. Eli is not the future... I don't know how many on here can argue this point... Eli hasn't been a great QB... yes he's a class act and can be very good at times... but time to move on... He can still be the starter next year and even the following year but this team needs its next franchise QB... at least one with a lot less interceptions.

Yeah we won't agree but at least I know you are someone I can disagree with amiably. Yeah Eli Manning isn't the future, but he is the right now and that matters more than what might be the future. If half the problems with the 2017 Giants was at QB, I would be all for starting Webb. At best Manning is 15% of the problem and I argue nobody could do significantly better.

I don't know what Webb can do, we won't find out in 2017.

Not sure that WE need to be able to tellany of that. The coaching staff will KNOW the answer to those questions.

And if that's the case then WE don't need to see Webb at all. The coaching staff has SEEN him in practice... and camp... and minicamp.

All of these things are just things the FANS need to know. The FANS would like to see what the coaches have seen on film and in practice. Coaches already have a good idea as to what Webb can do and what he needs to work on. Writers just need something to fill the pages week in and week out.

Sure it would be great to put Webb in but that happens when the coaches decide, not the FANS or the sports writers.

The kid gets 6 snaps in practice with the starters ALL season. He has what, 2 games...maybe...of preseason work. That was months ago. I'm not sure what film or practice you're referring to. I'm not saying the coaches don't know anything, but I'm betting they don't know all they should know about him at this point.

Again, it can't hurt to get the kid experience and have more upon which to base a decision in the offseason.

And if that's the case then WE don't need to see Webb at all. The coaching staff has SEEN him in practice... and camp... and minicamp.

Ok but, as Allen Iverson said, we talking bout practice. Not a game. Totally different.

The kid gets 6 snaps in practice with the starters ALL season. He has what, 2 games...maybe...of preseason work. That was months ago. I'm not sure what film or practice you're referring to. I'm not saying the coaches don't know anything, but I'm betting they don't know all they should know about him at this point.

Again, it can't hurt to get the kid experience and have more upon which to base a decision in the offseason.

Giving him one game worth of experience is not going to change any decisions in the upcoming offseason. I think it can hurt Webb more than help him.

You can say that about everything we talk about here. Never stopped us before.

Ok but, as Allen Iverson said, we talking bout practice. Not a game. Totally different.

Webb =/= Iverson... in any way. And regardless of whether he plays or not this year we're drafting a QB and they're gonna fight it out in training camp.

Look... I get it. But what are you learning with the team in this condition? I can't see any kind of evaluation being fair for him.