SportsWrath

Giants' Eli Manning-Davis Webb mess

Nas

I'm curious to see Web play. Especially now that this offense seems to have some life in it. What's that mean for Eli next year though? Playing Web in the last game might be a sign they are ready to move on. I think that's a mistake. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I'm curious to see Web play. Especially now that this offense seems to have some life in it. What's that mean for Eli next year though? Playing Web in the last game might be a sign they are ready to move on. I think that's a mistake. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

We need to disengage from Eli as the starter... the sooner the better. We love Eli and we have the utmost respect for his career.. but it's the nature of the business... Eli remembers very well the Giants benched a hall of famer for him when he too over the reigns.

The time will come when Eli Manning is not the starter for the team because someone else is better. It won't be this season and it was a mistake to force the issue.

The offense is performing better because Eli Manning is the QB and has had more time to work with guys not named Sheppard or Engram. Putting Webb in this season does not guarantee a continuation of that success or give anyone a sense of the kind of QB Webb can be in the NFL.

If Eli Manning was a third round pick would he have ever seen the field in year two after his first six games as a rookie?

The time will come when Eli Manning is not the starter for the team because someone else is better. It won't be this season and it was a mistake to force the issue.

The offense is performing better because Eli Manning is the QB and has had more time to work with guys not named Sheppard or Engram. Putting Webb in this season does not guarantee a continuation of that success or give anyone a sense of the kind of QB Webb can be in the NFL.

If Eli Manning was a third round pick would he have ever seen the field in year two after his first six games as a rookie?

Webb needs game-time experience. The sooner we can get him there, the sooner you gets rid of the rookie web around him....

I think they should worry about Webb next year, IF we end up in a similar situation as this season. Or if they draft a QB in the first. I think Eli has more then proven that if you give him the right tools he is by far still the best option. He is right now turning a bunch of nobodies into a functional NFL level offense. He can still play at a high level, and to drop him now is foolish.

Give him a damn offensive line this off season and get back the guys who went down, and chances are this offense is going to play far better then if we put a rookie out there.

I know you are pushing for Webb Nas, and I am too. I hope he is capable of being the next guy, but why get rid of the best QB in Giants history who is still able to play at a high level before its necessary?

Keeping Eli at QB and giving him what he needs to succeed should be the top priority this off season. Cutting him lose for a guy (Webb or first round QB) who might end up completely sucking, seems like a foolish and unnecessary risk.

I think they should worry about Webb next year, IF we end up in a similar situation as this season. Or if they draft a QB in the first. I think Eli has more then proven that if you give him the right tools he is by far still the best option. He is right now turning a bunch of nobodies into a functional NFL level offense. He can still play at a high level, and to drop him now is foolish.

Give him a damn offensive line this off season and get back the guys who went down, and chances are this offense is going to play far better then if we put a rookie out there.

This is only logical if we have something to play for... teams shut down their players when the team is eliminated from the playoffs... it doesn't matter what excuse they give... We have 2 games with nothing to play for but lose our draft position if we were to win... This is the time to play guys who never see the field and not just Webb... this is where you get game time experience...

Oh yea, give the kid a game or two, that's fine. I just hope it doesn't mean they think its time to move on.

It wouldn't mean anything.. the idea is you rest your starters and keep them healthy while giving the younger guys time in live action... If Webb is what we (really me) think he is, then we may have our next franchise QB... he can still back Eli for another year or two...

Keeping guys healthy for the offseason? If we're going to bench Eli Manning to keep him healthy, why not bench all the other starters we are spending a lot of money on as well.

It is a good thing that Webb is getting some practice time, he needs it. He needs all the practice time he can get because he got little of it so far this year. You don't go from third string QB to starting next sunday to see what he has because the team has nothing left to play besides pride.

This mishandling of Webb this year, as far as practicing, has to be a huge reason Mcadoo was fired. No reason he isnt the second string guy as is.

Because we had Geno Smith. I would be surprised if McAdoo didn't have some fantasy of having Smith installed as the starter over Manning to get the mobility at the QB position McAdoo felt he needed. Then have a transition over to Webb at some point at a future date.

Because we had Geno Smith. I would be surprised if McAdoo didn't have some fantasy of having Smith installed as the starter over Manning to get the mobility at the QB position McAdoo felt he needed. Then have a transition over to Webb at some point at a future date.

I think this is the case too. We signed him really fast

Keeping guys healthy for the offseason? If we're going to bench Eli Manning to keep him healthy, why not bench all the other starters we are spending a lot of money on as well.

It is a good thing that Webb is getting some practice time, he needs it. He needs all the practice time he can get because he got little of it so far this year. You don't go from third string QB to starting next sunday to see what he has because the team has nothing left to play besides pride.

Actually teams "shut down" players all the time... it could be a sprained pinky... an excuse to tank the season and keep them healthy. And who said you can't go from 3rd qb to starting? I swear people act like these players are fucking robots... The dude has been on the team.. it's not like he was just hired.

This mishandling of Webb this year, as far as practicing, has to be a huge reason Mcadoo was fired. No reason he isnt the second string guy as is.

Exactly.. no one gave a fuck about Geno... a total waste of a roster spot anyway....

There are exactly three reasons why folks are clamoring for Webb...

1. We sucked ass this year and therefore, have a high draft pick

2. The draft, while a crapshoot, is rumored to have high quality QBs

3. Eli Manning is in his mid to late 30s and won't play forever.

Add these together, and it's only common sense that you evaluate the guy you drafted last year with the starting offense. Maybe that's what the practice reps were for this week...but I think getting him some game experience just can't be a bad thing. I'm not advocating shipping Eli off. But, if Eli chooses to leave because we want to take a look at what's behind him...that's no longer the team's decision.

In fairness, is Eli ever under center? He wasnt with Mcadoo, anyway. Running the ball out of single back, iform, as well as playaction didnt exist in this offense.

Very true....but they knew he could before they drafted him. Some of these guys have to be taught how when the come to the pros.

C.W agon

Giants don't seem to be interested in shutting down players to save them, you would think they'd shut Collins down by now. It is funny how we the fans are telling the professionals who is ready to start for the NY Giants. We don't get to make that decision, it is up to the coach and Webb didn't get much action in the preseason, and next to no snaps during the season in practice. Players aren't robots but they need to be prepared and that decision once again is made by the head coach.

Easy to come up with dozens of reasons why we should be doing things differently at this time but those decisions are not left to the fans to decide. The team is going to keep trying to win games until the season is over regardless of how it affects the draft and they are going to use the best players available to make that happen.

Really not sure why he hasnt been playing since they originally took Manning out. Apparently, fans hold some sway and know better how to evaluate a team.

It's really weird.

You'd think that you'd keep Eli in to keep the streak alive, but that's over. Eli could have had a swan song game but he's had three(?) at home since. At this point he's not playing very well and has nothing around him... there's no point in not getting a look at Webb.

Regardless of what they decide, I'm sure the Giants will find a way to fuck it up... they haven't handled things well at all this year in regards to Eli and Webb.