SportsWrath

Cabrera or Milledge

Ditto

as an impartial observer i'd like to point out that cabrera was absolute crap when he was in milledge's spot last season--a midseason call up who wasn't yet ready. next season's a whole other story. if milledge is the starting corner OF from day one and gets a whole spring training and isn't looking over his shoulder waiting to be sent back down i think he'll thrive

melky is 2nd in rbi's for rookies in the AL only behind johjima, and he has played the whole year, melky has not.

I will take Melky over Milledge any day now. I dont care what "potential" is. I know what I've seen with my own 2 eyes. Melky is an all around great ball player. He has potential to be a 5 tool player. Melky's atttiude alone will help him make improvements from here on out, Milledge's I can not say the same for.

melky is 2nd in rbi's for rookies in the AL only behind johjima, and he has played the whole year, melky has not.

I will take Melky over Milledge any day now. I dont care what "potential" is. I know what I've seen with my own 2 eyes. Melky is an all around great ball player. He has potential to be a 5 tool player. Melky's atttiude alone will help him make improvements from here on out, Milledge's I can not say the same for.

i think 5-tool is a stretch, he only has 7 homeruns and 37 rbi in 300 at bats. plus fielder, plus hitter, plus speed. but that's as far as i'll go with melky. i wont lie, im impressed with him, and after what i saw from him last year he's exceeded my expectations, but just remember how bad melky was last year when you look at what milledge is going through this season. milledge has also taken a beating from the press and has been up and down to and from the minors all season, i don't think an accurate judgement can be made on how well milledge will project until he gets a starting job from spring training and it's his to lose--which will more than likely be the case next season with floyd gone

i think 5-tool is a stretch, he only has 7 homeruns and 37 rbi in 300 at bats. plus fielder, plus hitter, plus speed. but that's as far as i'll go with melky. i wont lie, im impressed with him, and after what i saw from him last year he's exceeded my expectations, but just remember how bad melky was last year when you look at what milledge is going through this season. milledge has also taken a beating from the press and has been up and down to and from the minors all season, i don't think an accurate judgement can be made on how well milledge will project until he gets a starting job from spring training and it's his to lose--which will more than likely be the case next season with floyd gone

Oh I completly agree. But see I am going to draw up an analogy. Milledge is a caterpillar right now looking to become a butterfly. Melky on the other hand is a caterpillar that is in a cocoon. His cocoon is starting to unravel and he's going to become a butterfly, you're pretty sure of it. At this very moment Cabrera is much closer to becoming that butterfly than Milledge is. Therefore he is more proven.

When I say Cabrera could be a 5 tool player the one thing I dont know about is his power. But to me I could see him being a 20 homer guy but he is only 22, you never know how big he could get on a weights program and what he could be doing at 28.

And like I said the main thing I like is Cabrera's attitude. He is all ears, and when a kid like that is all ears in the Yankees system he usually can turn into something decent. I am not trying to be a homer but the same was said about Cano last year and look at Cano now. He's a friggin hitting machine. When you have guys like Jeter, Damon, Abreu, Torre, Mattingly, Bowa, etc. around you at all times. It's no mystery, these guys know baseball and they can help you out a lot.

Milledge is so wrapped up in himself and his image that I wonder what he is going to do.

Oh I completly agree. But see I am going to draw up an analogy. Milledge is a caterpillar right now looking to become a butterfly. Melky on the other hand is a caterpillar that is in a cocoon. His cocoon is starting to unravel and he's going to become a butterfly, you're pretty sure of it. At this very moment Cabrera is much closer to becoming that butterfly than Milledge is. Therefore he is more proven.

When I say Cabrera could be a 5 tool player the one thing I dont know about is his power. But to me I could see him being a 20 homer guy but he is only 22, you never know how big he could get on a weights program and what he could be doing at 28.

And like I said the main thing I like is Cabrera's attitude. He is all ears, and when a kid like that is all ears in the Yankees system he usually can turn into something decent. I am not trying to be a homer but the same was said about Cano last year and look at Cano now. He's a friggin hitting machine. When you have guys like Jeter, Damon, Abreu, Torre, Mattingly, Bowa, etc. around you at all times. It's no mystery, these guys know baseball and they can help you out a lot.

Milledge is so wrapped up in himself and his image that I wonder what he is going to do.

Milledge looks horrible wherever he's played so far basically. Sometimes it looks like he's about to turn the corner in his fielding, then he makes another bad play. Right now Milledge has to do something to change the way he's hitting and batting but when I think about it, this is how Melky started last year right?

Milledge only played half a season in triple AAA and it shows right now. But I see good things in the future with him and I hope we stick with him.

Keep telling yourself that, homer.

I'm a homer because I am choosing the better prospect of the two? The question is who will be the better player. And I am a homer because I chose the player for my team, the better prospect, while Melky Cabrera is doing fantastic this year and Milledge is clearly not ready yet? I never knew one season and one fifth of a season summed up entire careers. So I guess anyone who gives an educated guess is a homer, than. But remember Cabrera didn't do too hot as a call-up last year, maybe we could have started this thread then.

yes milledge apparently is a cock and that might stop him from being a good ball player. and i agree with your analogy and it's why i mentioned cabrera last season. he never looked like he would become the player he is because he was called up too early and wasn't ready. that could probably be the case with milledge and definitley is the case with mike pelfrey

yes milledge apparently is a cock and that might stop him from being a good ball player. and i agree with your analogy and it's why i mentioned cabrera last season. he never looked like he would become the player he is because he was called up too early and wasn't ready. that could probably be the case with milledge and definitley is the case with mike pelfrey

The only thing that surprises me about Cabrera is his arm. Even after the big mistake in the OF last year, letting a ball get by him, and the hitting slump, you could see he was a bulldog, a Pete Rose type, only with some home run power. The only reason I didn't mind him being sent down was because he wouldn't have gotten much playing time in our crowded OF.

When Jeter and Arod messed up a a pop up the other day and then had a brain fart, who was there to pick the ball up. Would Milledge do that?

When Jeter and Arod messed up a a pop up the other day and then had a brain fart, who was there to pick the ball up. Would Milledge do that?

Why would Milledge run from right field to get it?

Besides, Jeter just stared at A-Rod for 10 seconds and didn't pick up the ball, he just left.

Why would Milledge run from right field to get it?

Besides, Jeter just stared at A-Rod for 10 seconds and didn't pick up the ball, he just left.

It's obvious you kids didn't see the game, but that's beside the point. This is about Melky and Milledge, and so far Melky's showing a lot more potential.

melky in game 3 he had a big single off timlin with the bases loaded to start up a big rally.

in game 4 he had a huge double off papelbon to lead off the inning that resulted in the tying run.

In game 5 he gets a single, steals a base then abreu hits him in to break the 0-0 tie.

Kid is money.

I'd love to have Melky on the Mets. But I think Milledge will be the better player when it's all said and done. Right now I wouldn't want Milledge on my softball team but I have faith.

It's obvious you kids didn't see the game, but that's beside the point. This is about Melky and Milledge, and so far Melky's showing a lot more potential.

This really isn't a fair argument considering Melky hits in a lineup loaded with All Stars and Milledge is 21 year old hitting in front of the pitcher. As far as the fielding goes, he's had trouble, but didn't Cabrera look lost when he was first called up?

This really isn't a fair argument considering Melky hits in a lineup loaded with All Stars and Milledge is 21 year old hitting in front of the pitcher. As far as the fielding goes, he's had trouble, but didn't Cabrera look lost when he was first called up?

You hit in the spot you deserve. i don't know where Melky bats, but saying he bats in a lineup full of all stars isn't fair, I mean, wasn't the whole national league all star roster basically the Mets?

He still turns the wrong way at times, but what the hell, he’s the best we have. I, for one, didn’t think he played all that bad last year. He made some mistakes on some balls, but he covered a lot of ground on others. (He also started slumping at the plate) It’s just that we had a crowded OF, and anything negative would either make him sit or sent back down. We also was in a tight pennant race while breaking in Cano, another rookie.

The Met fans are crucifying Milledge for his mistakes, yet with over a dozen game lead in the standings, they can afford to carry him.

You hit in the spot you deserve. i don't know where Melky bats, but saying he bats in a lineup full of all stars isn't fair, I mean, wasn't the whole national league all star roster basically the Mets?

Melky bats 9th in front of Johnny Damon and Derek Jeter. Milledge bats in front of a pitcher, and we hope to get him batting seventh so he can get some protection from Endy Chavez/Chris Woodward... With protection from Endy Chavez (his first game batting seventh) Milledge hit a homerun and went 3/3, whilst still struggling batting 8th in front of a pitcher. 8th is no place for an NL rookie to hit in, ask Willie Mays it makes a ton of difference.

NL roster had David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes would have been but was hurt, and Paul Lo Duca didn't deserve it at the time (he does now).

Let's say they both hit 8th. Can you honestly say hitting 8th in the Yankee lineup is as challenging as hitting in front of Steve Trachsel? He gets nothing to hit, and that can only make an eager 21 year old fresh from the minors look worse than he actually is.

if milledge wasn't hitting .238, i might buy into this argument of hitting 8th...

the question is who is better, cabrera or milledge?

not which one could be better, but who is better? Cabrera is the obvious answer right now. He is so good, i dont think matsui should replace him when he gets back.