SportsWrath

So now that the Giants are eliminated from the playoffs, let's look towards FA/Draft

BlueInCanada

Agreed, which goes back to what I first commented on. Gmen are in pretty bad shape. The needs of the team outweigh what you can get in one off season. You guys will be rebuilding for a while IMO.

I'd have to look at contracts in detail, but...and admittedly, these are a lot of 'ifs'...but IF they have something in Davis Webb, IF they can get out from under some of the heavy contracts (Eli, JPP, etc.) and IF they can get some offensive linemen (note plural)...given the high draft pick we're bound to have...I think the turnaround can come sooner than later...but that said...the stars have to align themselves for all that to happen.

Throwing in a coaching and/or GM change and I think that's where it's asking too much for one offseason. Because then you're looking at a new offense, new defense, new personalities, etc. to try and come together as a team in a world where practice field time is limited.

Of course... and it's not like we're talking about 10 people... need maybe 2 starters on that unit and we're good... It's amazing how much one bad unit can fuck up an entire season and the OL I think is the most important unit...

This is a great point, and one some of us talked about in the offseason.

Get a left tackle, and move Flowers to RT. Suddenly in one move, you've improved two positions.

Get an NFL-caliber guard. Pair them with the average Richburg and slightly above-average Pugh and now you have a serviceable line.

Or you can insist Flowers is a good LT, give 5 million dollars to John Jerry, and hope your seventh-round pick from two years ago works out.

Too late for this now with our only 2 decent interior linemen likely out the door next season, but it would have been a good plan.

I'd have to look at contracts in detail, but...and admittedly, these are a lot of 'ifs'...but IF they have something in Davis Webb, IF they can get out from under some of the heavy contracts (Eli, JPP, etc.) and IF they can get some offensive linemen (note plural)...given the high draft pick we're bound to have...I think the turnaround can come sooner than later...but that said...the stars have to align themselves for all that to happen.

Throwing in a coaching and/or GM change and I think that's where it's asking too much for one offseason. Because then you're looking at a new offense, new defense, new personalities, etc. to try and come together as a team in a world where practice field time is limited.

Could not possibly disagree more.

Bring in a new GM, let him pick HIS coach and draft HIS players, with the realization that you'll probably suck for a minimum of 3 years.

We just tried the "change things at the periphery" and our team is on its way to a top-five pick. Pretty much any GM worth his salt will want to pick his coach, and I don't want to promote Marc Ross or some other front office schlub to blow our once-in-a-decade top draft pick.

Could not possibly disagree more.

Bring in a new GM, let him pick HIS coach and draft HIS players, with the realization that you'll probably suck for a minimum of 3 years.

We just tried the "change things at the periphery" and our team is on its way to a top-five pick. Pretty much any GM worth his salt will want to pick his coach, and I don't want to promote Marc Ross or some other front office schlub to blow our once-in-a-decade top draft pick.

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

Further, if we suck for 3 years, would we not have a thrice-in-a-decade top draft pick?

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

Further, if we suck for 3 years, would we not have a thrice-in-a-decade top draft pick?

Two years ago many of us said, "blow it all up" which meant getting rid of Reese, Coughlin, and crew.

We got rid of one of those guys to "keep continuity" and our team had one season that was pretty good and are having one that might be disastrous.

It might get turned around... but if not, I think you clean sweep everything. "New offense, new defense, everything" isn't too much to ask if your team quits on you and the old personalities all suck.

Again, that hasn't happened yet. But if we're staring at 2-14 come January, you blow it all up... you don't just change the tires.

Two years ago many of us said, "blow it all up" which meant getting rid of Reese, Coughlin, and crew.

We got rid of one of those guys to "keep continuity" and our team had one season that was pretty good and are having one that might be disastrous.

It might get turned around... but if not, I think you clean sweep everything. "New offense, new defense, everything" isn't too much to ask if your team quits on you and the old personalities all suck.

Again, that hasn't happened yet. But if we're staring at 2-14 come January, you blow it all up... you don't just change the tires.

You may have misunderstood me or I may have misspoke...I very much agree that it all needs overhauled. I was trying to state that the overhaul, if only including players, while being a stretch, could get done in an offseason. However, if you throw coaches and general managers into the overhaul, then it's too much for one offseason to expect much success in the next year.

Agreed, which goes back to what I first commented on. Gmen are in pretty bad shape. The needs of the team outweigh what you can get in one off season. You guys will be rebuilding for a while IMO.

I disagree. Our OL is probaboy our only need that's dire... the D is ok and can be great at times... the WR corp are will be ok... We got our TE in ingram... and the QB is in good shape.

I disagree. Our OL is probaboy our only need that's dire... the D is ok and can be great at times... the WR corp are will be ok... We got our TE in ingram... and the QB is in good shape.

You forget the departures and contracts coming up.

Not everyone is gonna be here next year, and the cap hell that JR put us in with all those contracts on defense is gonna be kicking in next year as well.