SportsWrath

New York Giants '06 Draft Review

NeMesiS

link

May 31, 2006

New York Giants '06 Draft Review

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

Over the years Ernie Accorsi and the Giants have done a great job in the draft and it looks like they once again came through with a very solid class. Even though their first pick was a little surprising the team was able to get good value with most of their choices while also addressing key areas of need, which is always the recipe for a successful draft.

Leading up to the draft everyone assumed that the Giants were a lock to take a linebacker in round one but after the signing of LaVar Arrington they instantly became one of the biggest mysteries of the first frame. After trading down the G-Men came through with one of the drafts biggest shocks, selecting Boston College defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. After once being considered to be a potential elite prospect most felt "Kiwi" would slide into round two but pass rushers are always at a premium and it wasn't really a major surprise to see him slip into the latter portion of round one. What was bombshell however was who took him because the Giants sure didn't appear to be in need of a defensive end since they already had the best starting duo in the league with Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, not to mention a promising youngster in Justin Tuck who they took in round three just a year ago. Barring an injury Kiwanuka is going to have to bide his time as a backup and situational guy for the first two or three years of his career and you have to wonder if that pick couldn't have been used to bring in more immediate help for a playoff contending team. After a questionable start the Giants came back strong in round two by bringing in Miami (FL) wide receiver Sinorice Moss, who many felt they might take with their first pick. The brother of Pro Bowler Santana Moss, Sinorice is a very similar player in that he lacks ideal size but is extremely fast and explosive and a big play waiting to happen. With two bigger wideouts in place as the starters and not much in terms of depth Moss will be a perfect compliment to Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer as the #3 option while providing Eli Manning and the offense with a vertical dimension they seemed to be missing.

In round three New York finally landed that linebacker everyone was expecting when they chose Gerris Wilkinson of Georgia Tech. A former defensive end who could play either outside or inside at the pro level, Wilkinson will provide tremendous depth and maybe even push Carlos Emmons for the weakside starting job at some point. In round four the team landed the defensive tackle they needed in Barry Cofield of Northwestern, who could turn out to be a steal. With Kendrick Clancy unexpectedly leaving as a free agent the Giants had little or no depth in the middle of the defensive line, not to mention two starters in William Joseph and Fred Robbins who are both only average at best. Cofield would seem to have all the physical tools you look for and I would not be at all surprised if he made a push for a spot in the starting lineup as a rookie.

With their second fourth round pick the Giants landed an intriguing developmental prospect in East Carolina offensive tackle Guy Whimper. A former tight end who is still very raw and learning the position, Whimper is an outstanding athlete with loads of potential who really put on a show at the Scouting Combine. He isn't ready to contribute yet but with Luke Petitgout on his way out sooner rather than later the team might be grooming Whimper for a starting job on the left side. In round five the G-Men brought in another player that I was a fan of in safety Charlie Peprah of Alabama. An experienced veteran of the SEC wars who is versatile and played multiple positions, Peprah does not have ideal measurables but will at the very least be a valuable backup in the pros. With their final pick in round seven the team brought in some more help in the secondary by choosing Maryland cornerback Gerrick McPhearson. One of the fastest players in the draft, some felt McPhearson might eventually be a better pro prospect than former Terp and 2005 third rounder Domonique Foxworth. However after a massive overhaul of the secondary it would appear that at best McPhearson will be competing for a dime job if he is able to make the squad.

After a rocky start the Giants rebounded quite well and actually took a number of players that I really liked. The G-Men definitely lost points for essentially drafting a 2nd team defensive end in round one but after that hiccup they landed three players in Moss, Wilkinson and Cofield who could play major roles for them in 2006 as well as a potential long-term starter at the critical left tackle position. Already one of the best young teams in the league the Giants made a quantum leap in terms of upgrading their overall talent level and team speed which is exactly what they needed to do to take that next step and become a serious Super Bowl contender.

GRADE: B

I agree with a lot of what was said, which leads me to see this grade as a bit biased. In other words, it seems as if the writer is a Giants fan or works for the Giants. Probably not the case, just seems that way.

Making the same points the writer made, I'd put them at a B-/C+

I agree with a lot of what was said, which leads me to see this grade as a bit biased. In other words, it seems as if the writer is a Giants fan or works for the Giants. Probably not the case, just seems that way.

Making the same points the writer made, I'd put them at a B-/C+

All draft grades are absolutely retarded. A grade should not be given until 2-4years after the draft. About 75% of the guys that they say are going to be good turn out to be pieces of shit. Just look at the 2002 draft and you'll see how great a first round pick and talent shockey was compared to a lot of those other clowns that were chosen in that draft. People keep saying that KIWI was a stupid pick, well I say lets wait and see what happens in 2 years when Stray is gone. KIWI could possibly turn out to be the best pick taken in the whole 1st round. That's only if Bush turns out to be a bust, like Vince young and Leinart are proably going to be.

All draft grades are absolutely retarded. A grade should not be given until 2-4years after the draft. About 75% of the guys that they say are going to be good turn out to be pieces of shit. Just look at the 2002 draft and you'll see how great a first round pick and talent shockey was compared to a lot of those other clowns that were chosen in that draft. People keep saying that KIWI was a stupid pick, well I say lets wait and see what happens in 2 years when Stray is gone. KIWI could possibly turn out to be the best pick taken in the whole 1st round. That's only if Bush turns out to be a bust, like Vince young and Leinart are proably going to be.

predicting busts 2 months removed from the draft is nearly as retarded as draft grades. :TU: