SportsWrath

Darian Thompson aggravated foot injury in practice

Treehugger

Will miss Week 9, maybe much more.

:angry:

Report: Darian Thompson suffers setback at Giants practice

Darian Thompson went from likely to unlikely to return for the New York Giants' Week 9 home game vs. the Philadelphia Eagles.

According to a source close to ESPN's Jordan Raanan, Thompson suffered a setback with his foot injury during Wednesday's practice and is now doubtful to play in Week 9.

Thompson aggravated a foot injury that has kept him out of the lineup since Week 2. The Giants' third-round pick was forced to leave practice Wednesday when he experienced a feeling of pain in his injured foot.

According to Art Stapleton, the expectation is that Thompson will now make a trip to Charlotte to meet with Dr. Robert Anderson, who will recommend his next move. There is some speculation that

Thompson will be told that surgery is his only option. When Thompson first visited Anderson earlier this season, surgery was not recommended. Anderson instead advised Thompson to rest and rehab.

This is a terrible break for Thompson, who stayed at the Giants' facility during the bye week to further rehab and give himself the best opportunity to play in Week 9. Thompson had practiced on a limited basis on Monday and ramped things up during Wednesday's practice when he suffered the setback.

Thompson was injured in Week 2 when a teammate stepped on his foot by accident. The freak injury was uncommon and Thompson told Giants reporters earlier this season that this is longest he's been out with an injury throughout his entire football career.

Thompson earned a reputation as a ballhawk at Boise State, where he set the Mountain Conference record with 19 career interceptions. He was immediately inserted into the Giants' starting lineup at safety next to Landon Collins during their first OTA practice. Thompson suffered a shoulder injury in the preseason, but made it back for Week 1 as a rotational player, before taking over as the starter in Week 2.

In just over one-and-a-half games worth of snaps this season, Thompson looked like a difference maker at safety. He did what was expected of him and prevented the big plays in the passing game, but he was also a difference maker as a run defender. He finished with seven tackles in limited snaps and consistently showed the ability to diagnose the run or pass and react accordingly.

The Giants will turn to safeties Nat Berhe and Andrew Adams in his place for Week 9 and beyond if Thompson is eventually placed on injured reserve. Berhe, a former 2014 fifth-round draft pick, is expected to return in Week 9 after missing the past four weeks with a concussion. Adams, a 2016 undrafted rookie free agent, has started in place of Thompson and Berhe. Although Adams has held his own, he has yet to make any big plays against the run or pass for the defense.

Guess we'll see what the Doctor says, I would hate for this to turn into a surgery fix. I don't understand the level of damage that could possibly be inflicted by having your foot stepped on by someone else. We're at the halfway mark, Thompson has already missed 5 weeks, and the team has an outside chance at the playoffs...

Hope he can play at some point before the end of this month if surgery is still not recommended.

Ive had people step on my feet hundreds of times. Even when Im standing without footwear and the person steps on my foot wearing cleats or boots. Ive never gotten injured to the point of being out of action for weeks and requiring surgery. What sort of dude stepped on this guys foot??? A truck???

Ive had people step on my feet hundreds of times. Even when Im standing without footwear and the person steps on my foot wearing cleats or boots. Ive never gotten injured to the point of being out of action for weeks and requiring surgery. What sort of dude stepped on this guys foot??? A truck???

Ask Rich Seubert.

Yeah was just gonna post this.

Nicks was never the same WR after he hand his foot landed on.

Shame to he was my favorite Giant during his time here.

Jones fracture ain't nothing to fuck with. Edelman can't crack 70 yards. Julio jones' screw breaks every few years

• 2 weeks later...