SportsWrath

Sooo...The Refs...The DRC call, wtf was that????

osi724dasack

This. Who threw the flag on DRC? If it was her, we'd all know.

not necessarily, we only know about her bad calls because they were caught on camera with her either throwing a flag like an idiot, or just being an idiot.

There's no amount of calls she can get right that will ever make up for that Duke Johnson fumble. She could be the best line judge the NFL has ever seen from here forward, and she'll always be crap to me. Unforgivable mistake. She should have been fired before all the players had left the field.

Its crazy. The league makes so much money, just obscene gobs of money, hand over fist. And they won't pay the officials.

This is why my interest in the league is somewhat waning.

It's stupid. They just banned teams from putting gifs and video clips on their twitter feed too.

And yet, players are to act like complete robots---unless it's making the league money and building the brand. What's penalized on the field is glorified by their own damn website off of it.

Why they can't take off their helmet after a touchdown is beyond me. What negative does that present? Other than saying that, "you are a cash cow with little to no identity and no personality that you should ever show on the field," I don't get the purpose of that rule.

And yet, players are to act like complete robots---unless it's making the league money and building the brand. What's penalized on the field is glorified by their own damn website off of it.

Why they can't take off their helmet after a touchdown is beyond me. What negative does that present? Other than saying that, "you are a cash cow with little to no identity and no personality that you should ever show on the field," I don't get the purpose of that rule.

Neither do I and fwiw... Beckham wasn't "on the field" when he took his helmet off. He was on the endline when he unsnapped the chinstrap and on the green behind the endzone when he got the helmet off. So unless the helmet rule says that players can only have their helmets off on the sidelines this flag was Odell Profiling and nothing more.

I'm fine with the rule. I don't need more "look at me" crap than we have already. I believe the rule was instituted for safety, as well. If extracurricular activity starts, you don't want someone (player or official) swinging a helmet or getting hit when the helmet is off. And behind the end zone counts as on the field. You cannot take your helmet off until you're back on the sideline, between the 30s (or wherever the team demarcation line is). I knew that was a penalty as soon as he did it and happy as I was, I was also screaming at him for being a f*cking idiot! They still had plenty of time and now the kickoff is 15 yards back. We're very fortunate that didn't come back to bite us in the ass. So is Odell.

And a PS on that - Odell came with in a nanosecond of getting another penalty and this might have even taken points off the board. On his 75 yard TD - the first one - he saw he had the defender beat and started to point at him as he ran. He caught himself and pulled it down or at least made it less of a pointing gesture and looked away from the defender just in time. Another second and the flag was flying.....and I think, in that case, it's a 15 yard penalty and repeat the down.

What are you guys talking about? Refs get paid almost $200k a year, plus get a pension plan, and I'm sure that's not including per diem/stipend for food and travel expenses. And not including their pay if they work the postseason... where they get even more money. Refs get paid pretty well. None of these guys really need to work their other jobs if they didn't want to.

What are you guys talking about? Refs get paid almost $200k a year, plus get a pension plan, and I'm sure that's not including per diem/stipend for food and travel expenses. And not including their pay if they work the postseason... where they get even more money. Refs get paid pretty well. None of these guys really need to work their other jobs if they didn't want to.

Its not that they aren't paid well. Its that they don't make it their full time job. I'm convinced the officiating would be better if they truly worked on like professionals instead of hobbyists.

Its not that they aren't paid well. Its that they don't make it their full time job. I'm convinced the officiating would be better if they truly worked on like professionals instead of hobbyists.

I understand but I don't think these guys would he any better if they didn't have other jobs. The NFL purposefully likes their refs to be successful in their careers outside of football. It is a protection against corruption, game-fixing, and besides, what would these guys do 40 hours a week? They know the rule book. Watch film and grade themselves? NFL has other people that do that and they work with the refs to get better.

Unless they change replay rules on PI penalties, which I would advocate for, then we are going to have blown calls from time to time. It's jhst going to happen. But that DRC call was one of the worst calls I can remember, that should've been a no call.

I understand but I don't think these guys would he any better if they didn't have other jobs. The NFL purposefully likes their refs to be successful in their careers outside of football. It is a protection against corruption, game-fixing, and besides, what would these guys do 40 hours a week? They know the rule book. Watch film and grade themselves? NFL has other people that do that and they work with the refs to get better.

Unless they change replay rules on PI penalties, which I would advocate for, then we are going to have blown calls from time to time. It's jhst going to happen. But that DRC call was one of the worst calls I can remember, that should've been a no call.

I think any ref should be fined if they blow a call. I mean a call that is blatantly wrong. If a Player does something blatantly wrong they get fined.

I think any ref should be fined if they blow a call. I mean a call that is blatantly wrong. If a Player does something blatantly wrong they get fined.

They probably do get fined. I could see it like the fines are kept under wraps though as to preserve the ref's credibility... if that makes any sense.

I disagree about the quality. And by disagree, I mean that I know you're completely wrong about that. Compare your skill at anything if you work on it daily as opposed to on the weekends, a few months a year.

But that is a damn good point regarding corruption.

You see some calls, and its hard not to think that there is corruption though. Good lord, such poor officiating this weekend. Two PIs in the Giants-Ravens game, the non-call on Richard Sherman.

To be fair there are a ton of instances where after seeing something on replay I'm super impressed that a ref got it right in real time

Yeah... which is why I don't understand some of the blatant mistakes.

I'm fine with the rule. I don't need more "look at me" crap than we have already. I believe the rule was instituted for safety, as well. If extracurricular activity starts, you don't want someone (player or official) swinging a helmet or getting hit when the helmet is off. And behind the end zone counts as on the field. You cannot take your helmet off until you're back on the sideline, between the 30s (or wherever the team demarcation line is). I knew that was a penalty as soon as he did it and happy as I was, I was also screaming at him for being a f*cking idiot! They still had plenty of time and now the kickoff is 15 yards back. We're very fortunate that didn't come back to bite us in the ass. So is Odell.

FWIW... Jenkins could've left Mike Wallace wide open on a go route AGAIN and that could've cost is the game. So could another phantom DPI, or Josh Brown shanking his kickoff out of bounds. I agree that Beckham needs to reign his emotions in but we as a team cannot allow a dead ball foul, between possessions to cost us a game. We need to decide it on the field.

Field of Play as defined by the NFL Rule Book

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook/#plan-of-playing-field

The playing field will be rimmed by a solid white border six feet wide along the end lines and sidelines.

Odell was not in the field of play when he removed his helmet. It was a bullshit call. And since this was not done in the bang bang moment of play I don't know how they get that wrong.

I think there's some confusion there on the rules for where players have to be during a play - when the whistle blows and play is live, if not a legal player on field, everybody has to be on the sideline, between the 30s typically. The rule about taking off your helmet only applies on the field of play. They just flat out got that call wrong. Again.

The head of officiating said that Odell said something to the refs after taking his helmet off which makes it a penalty according to the rules.

Still a bullshit call in my mind, but water under the bridge at this point.

Watch next week Odell just leave his helmet on the entire game to troll the NFL.

You cannot take your helmet off after a TD like that. It was correctly called. I knew it was a penalty also, before the flag came out.

They made the rule I believe when Emmitt Smith was playing. He would take his helmet off after every score. Way to market yourself, so people can see your face.

He would often do it out the back of the endzone. They outlawed it. It was definitely a penalty.

If not on field of play, its not a penalty. The rule is pretty clear on that. Its not even a grey area.

(Assuming the version of the rule I found is the actual rule book text. Field of play is defined as the actual field, without respect to where the player is outside of the border of the field. But I've been burned by 'unofficial' rule book text before, so.... I'll just lay that caveat out there).

For the helmet rule, behind the end zone counts as on the field. Has since the inception of the rule. It will ( and has) get called every time. They got it right. And as I said, he almost got a much more damaging penalty when he pointed at the defender on his way to the end zone. That one would have taken points off the board. Look, I love Odell. He's like no Giant I've seen in my 50something years of being a fan. And I have nothing against celebrations - not everybody is Barry Sanders. But I don't think it's asking too much to understand where to draw the line.

Refs are part time employees. The NFL does not want to make all of them full time employees. Refs don't want to be full time employees unless they get more money. There is still no compromise on this as the NFL wants a few of them to be full time but don't want to pay them more money.