SportsWrath

No Positives From Bills Loss

BronxRik

Here's a good quote about pre-season from Belichick:

In terms of game-planning and strategy, what we see in the regular season compared to what we see the in third preseason game I don't even think you're in the same universe.

Relax guys. We can wait until after game one to properly panic. :laugh:

This team sucks unless I see regular season results to the contrary.

When was the last time we were fully confident by the O-Line? Ever? When the Giants won the SB in 2007 didn't they supposedly have the worst OLine in the NFL? This has been a gripe of ours for just as long as the LB situation, possibly longer.

My panic starts week 4 in all honesty. The first 2 weeks can be hard to gauge as many teams struggle and hit their stride while many teams take off and then crash and burn.

When was the last time we were fully confident by the O-Line? Ever? When the Giants won the SB in 2007 didn't they supposedly have the worst OLine in the NFL? This has been a gripe of ours for just as long as the LB situation, possibly longer.

My panic starts week 4 in all honesty. The first 2 weeks can be hard to gauge as many teams struggle and hit their stride while many teams take off and then crash and burn.

hell no.... one of, if not the best in the league that season. 2006-2008, good OL play.

Ah look we have a +1 on the sanity bandwagon in August

I think we'll have a pretty good guage of the team after the next preseason game. However, people said not to panic about things in recent preseasons that carried over to the regular season... the third and long giveup draw, poor run and pass blocking, horrific linebacking play, Gilly's offense getting Eli killed, etc. At one point we had our starting offense playing against other teams backups for three series and couldn't score during Gilly's last season... but "preseason so no big deal."

All these things we were told were "no big deal," but our record past four seasons says otherwise. The games don't count but that doesn't mean it's meaningless.

Ah look we have a +1 on the sanity bandwagon in August

How is comparing to year's past (particularly to years when we had better O-lines) relevant to evaluating the current crop of OL on THIS 2016 roster? So I say again, how confident are you in this OL?

Still want to compare this OL to years past? Be my guest...that'll just further demonstrate how shitty this one is. For instance Kareem McKenzie vs. Marshal Newhouse, Chris Snee vs John Jerry (gee, that was a hard one). Shall I go on? lol

"That's what they said when..." Doesn't magically make our current problems go away.

How is comparing to year's past (particularly to years when we had better O-lines) relevant to evaluating the current crop of OL on THIS 2016 roster? So I say again, how confident are you in this OL?

Still want to compare this OL to years past? Be my guest...that'll just further demonstrate how shitty this one is. For instance Kareem McKenzie vs. Marshal Newhouse, Chris Snee vs John Jerry (gee, that was a hard one). Shall I go on? lol

"That's what they said when..." Doesn't magically make our current problems go away.

Who is comparing 2016 to 2007? I'm telling you we didn't think much of the 2007 group so why should our opinion be more relevant of the 2016 group?

My confidence in the offensive line honestly doesn't matter for shit. Once the Giants didn't land more help for the offensive line in free agency we were all but guaranteed the same players. Nobody gives a fuck what we think about the offensive line it is going to most likely start the season as is and that is the end of it. Some of these players may improve or regress but what we have so far is our starting offensive line in September.

Shit after Ian Allen at Right Tackle, everyone else is pro bowl talent.

+1

And Antonio Pierce is head and shoulders above any linebacker they've had since, with the exception of Boley's breakout year in 2011.

I think the coaches already know that answer, and it isn't significantly better. So do you take valuable time away from Donnell & Tye?

who have playet how many regular season games? And have been through how many training camps/pre-seasons?

That feels like ages ago. Decent player, until he had chronic back problems. I think that is why he was so jumpy at the line.

It is, going on a decade now.

I'm a game 3 or 4 kind of guy.

Same here. If the team a mess by game 4 the season is basically done.

2007 was definitely the lesson reinforced.... after game 2, they looked like a dumpster fire.

Never has a team had a more hollywood-ready script for their season. Utter crap out the gates, then a 180 degree turnaround.

....and if we hadn't made that incredible goaline stand v Skins in week 3 ( after a 3-17 halftime defecit ) .............the season would probably have disintegrated !

Game 4 is a wash---rarely do the starters play any time. We will have a good idea tomorrow night (tonight, now) if the Giants have finally managed to establish an offensive or defensive identity, which they haven't thus far, and didn't at all last year. And I personally think you can put that on the respective coordinators.

Do we want to go out and dictate to defenses what we want to do by effectively mixing in run and pass? Or do we want to switch running backs every series and rarely mix in game changers like Shane Vereen that can pick up first downs? Do we want to force the ball to Beckham all game or do we want to be multi-dimensional? A big factor in this team's success will be put on the offense's shoulders and while I think we have the guns to do it, do we have the brains at the coaching level to do so? Will we cover weaknesses on the line by effectively utilizing skill position players, short passing, or zone blocking schemes to support our offensive line? To me, these are all questions that they needed to ask and answer last year that they never did.

On defense, do we want to be a team that hopes for a turnover while we hemorrhage yardage or do we want to force teams to cover their own weaknesses by utilizing what can be an effective pass rush? Do we want to let teams kill us over the middle with backs and tight ends while we key on preventing big plays? What is the identity? I know we want to tend to focus on individual player limitations and personnel, but to me, the biggest key to our success or failure this year is going to be coaching. It wasn't there last year, in my opinion, and yet, the same guys are here in that department. Time will tell but from what I've seen, the same issues that plagued us last year; carlessness with the football, inability to convert 3rd downs (shaky red zone conversion, too), inability to get off the field on third down on defense, and losing in the trenches on both sides of the ball, all killed us last year.