SportsWrath

Khloé Kardashian: Reportedly Dating NFL Player Odell Beckham Jr.

jerseygiantfan

I've stopped into P&R a time or two.

My problem is, I'll tell people where they're wrong, they refuse to see the wrongness of their wrong, and I write them off as a waste of my time, a hopeless case. Further, this pretty much involves most folks who argue politics on a sports message board. That said, I've read some seemingly informed opinions here and there on SW.

Yeah it really isn't about who is right and who is wrong but we do like to think we can convince people and that leads to topics that are ten pages long that pop up again in a new form every other month. Personally it is about getting a different opinion on a subject and being open to that opinion. SW is more than just sports, I know a few people here for over a decade.

Yeah it really isn't about who is right and who is wrong but we do like to think we can convince people and that leads to topics that are ten pages long that pop up again in a new form every other month. Personally it is about getting a different opinion on a subject and being open to that opinion. SW is more than just sports, I know a few people here for over a decade.

This.

The only problem I've always seen with the P&R section is, there is no "different opinion" in any thread. Within the first few posts of every thread you can predict who is going to chime in with what opinion or stance.

Like you said SW is a little community but that community hasn't grown it's gotten smaller.

It's why I have a hard time ever taken anything said or discussed in P&R seriously, well two reasons, one it's the internet and people who take anything said on here seriously should have their heads checked out and two, it's all just the same thing said for the 100th time over there, nothing ever really new.

I've stopped into P&R a time or two.

My problem is, I'll tell people where they're wrong, they refuse to see the wrongness of their wrong, and I write them off as a waste of my time, a hopeless case. Further, this pretty much involves most folks who argue politics on a sports message board. That said, I've read some seemingly informed opinions here and there on SW.

It sounds more like your problem is that you expected somebody to change their opinion because a guy on a sports message board told them they were wrong. You may want to revise your expectations of us, lol.

It sounds more like your problem is that you expected somebody to change their opinion because a guy on a sports message board told them they were wrong. You may want to revise your expectations of us, lol.

No, you're wrong.!

Indeed.

And I can honestly say that, although I tend to hold strong opinions, that discussions on P&R have helped enlighten me on some issues that I didn't know nearly as much about as I thought I did.

Quite the contrary. I'd hope that someone would change their opinion based on their own research and fact-finding. Someone who took the written word from an anonymous poster on a sports+ message board as fact would be awfully foolish. Readers don't know my education, they don't know why I feel a certain way about something, they don't know where I'm getting my information, or generally, how credible a source I am.

Further, I'm comfortable and confident in my beliefs/feelings that I don't necessarily search out opposing opinions unless I'm looking to shoot them down or counter them, much the same as everyone who actually holds a fact-backed, thought out opinion. If you've done the legwork and can actually justify why you feel a certain way, there's really nothing I'm going to say that's going to sway you the opposite direction.

So, I kinda look at it this way. Either you're a fool who spouts off opinions without researching them and are therefore a waste of my effort OR you've already done your homework, are intelligent, grounded, and have an opinion that isn't going to be swayed. But regardless of which camp you fall into on a given issue, there isn't really much point in my arguing about it.

And perhaps simplest, I'm perfectly okay with people having differing opinions that me. I don't feel obligated to bring people to my side.

Quite the contrary. I'd hope that someone would change their opinion based on their own research and fact-finding. Someone who took the written word from an anonymous poster on a sports+ message board as fact would be awfully foolish. Readers don't know my education, they don't know why I feel a certain way about something, they don't know where I'm getting my information, or generally, how credible a source I am.

Further, I'm comfortable and confident in my beliefs/feelings that I don't necessarily search out opposing opinions unless I'm looking to shoot them down or counter them, much the same as everyone who actually holds a fact-backed, thought out opinion. If you've done the legwork and can actually justify why you feel a certain way, there's really nothing I'm going to say that's going to sway you the opposite direction.

So, I kinda look at it this way. Either you're a fool who spouts off opinions without researching them and are therefore a waste of my effort OR you've already done your homework, are intelligent, grounded, and have an opinion that isn't going to be swayed. But regardless of which camp you fall into on a given issue, there isn't really much point in my arguing about it.

And perhaps simplest, I'm perfectly okay with people having differing opinions that me. I don't feel obligated to bring people to my side.

And yet you felt compelled to write a few paragraphs to explain your opinion? .... You'll fit right in! LOL

Really, on P&R we just have a bunch of guys who enjoy arguing, and its a good outlet for it without causing real-world conflict. Because... I can't very well tell my co-workers that my space fairy (or lack thereof) is better than their space fairy, right?

And yet you felt compelled to write a few paragraphs to explain your opinion? .... You'll fit right in! LOL

Really, on P&R we just have a bunch of guys who enjoy arguing, and its a good outlet for it without causing real-world conflict. Because... I can't very well tell my co-workers that my space fairy (or lack thereof) is better than their space fairy, right?

What I typed above is not an opinion. It is fact about opinions and my willingness to offer my own or attempt to change others'.

What I typed above is not an opinion. It is fact about opinions and my willingness to offer my own or attempt to change others'.

Yes, but your original post on the topic was an opinion. Your latter post was an explanation of your opinion.

(What I lack in informed opinions I more than make up for with semantic wrangling.)

My initial post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek and/or sarcastic. Certainly, I don't believe that everyone who disagrees with me is necessarily wrong. That said, it's fact that I don't see value in sharing my thoughts and feelings about certain topics for reasons previously stated.

But I digress. Have fun in your P&R section...I'll continue to peruse from time to time and speak up where and when I feel it appropriate.

My initial post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek and/or sarcastic. Certainly, I don't believe that everyone who disagrees with me is necessarily wrong. That said, it's fact that I don't see value in sharing my thoughts and feelings about certain topics for reasons previously stated.

But I digress. Have fun in your P&R section...I'll continue to peruse from time to time and speak up where and when I feel it appropriate.

LOL, me too. Actually, that's basically like my default setting.

But seriously, it would be good to get more opinions in there, especially more variety of opinion. Gets a little stale when its always the same five guys with the same five opinions.

LOL, me too. Actually, that's basically like my default setting.

But seriously, it would be good to get more opinions in there, especially more variety of opinion. Gets a little stale when its always the same five guys with the same five opinions.

I think the same five guys with the same five opinions is the best way to go.

If you disagree with this statement, you're not only wrong, but hate freedom as well.