SportsWrath

Bears Release Rolle

Mr. P

Adam Schefter Verified account @AdamSchefter

Bears released veteran safety Antrel Rolle, per source.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 17m17 minutes ago

And before anyone asks, no I don't think they'll bring him back unless it's to retire as a Giant.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 14m14 minutes ago

Personally I woudn't mind seeing Rolle back here if he still has something left in the tank, but I don't think it happens.

He can come back to teach, mentor Thompson and the other young safeties. There's already 6 safeties with a chance to be on the week 1 roster:

Landon Collins

Nat Berhe

Bennett Jackson (could be moved back to corner)

Mykelle Thompson
Darian Thompson

Cooper Taylor

Only so many roster spots, but it would be nice to have Rolle back and hopefully help the young guys develop.

At this point I think it wouldn't benefit the defense. Young guys on defense need to be healthy and practicing.

I would say Rolle is better then everyone on the team expect Collins and Thompson.

Until Thompson is determined ready to play, which might even be day one, Rolle could start opposite of Collins until Thompson takes the torch.

I mean I trust more in the secondary than Coop and Berhe

I'd take him back as a coach on the field type, but I think his days as an impact player are over.

If he takes a pay cut, it's worth considering.

His coverage skills have eroded, but he's a sure tackler, and unlike 95% of the defense, he stays healthy.

Could be good in dime situations when they pull a linebacker....would allow some zone coverage ability without sacrificing a ton of tackling/run support ability.