SportsWrath

JPP returning to Giants on 1 year deal

Allstarjim

Good news! I think this is a great move. He also turned down more money offered elsewhere (a.k.a Arizona) and wanted to stay back and prove his worth and he likes working with Spags.

Unfortunately - now Malik Jackson, Irvin, Charles Johnson - everyone is already out. Looks like its gonna be a slow FA once again for the Giants.

I think the 1-year deal is as good as it was going to get for JPP. If you think about it, it gives OO another year to develop. It gives our 1st rounder a year to develop (because I think we still go defensive end in the first round regardless of FA). It also gives JPP a year to prove himself without hamstringing the Giants cap-wise.

I'm not holding out a ton of hope that JPP will be able to wrap up, but I can't hate taking a 1-year flier on the chance.

Details of the contract have now emerged, as reported by USA TODAY's Tom Pelissero. Here they are:

JPP'S 2016 DEAL:

Base salary: $4.25 million (fully guaranteed)

Signing bonus: $4.25 million (fully guaranteed)

Per-game roster bonuses: $1.2 million

Workout bonus: $300,000

Incentives: Up to $500,000 (based on sacks)

Total possible value: $10.5 million

Guaranteed money: $8.5 million

Analysis: This is a low risk, high reward signing that makes a great deal of sense for the Giants. When every settles down, the Giants will most certainly have signed Pierre-Paul, even if he maxes out the contract, for below market value.

As we wrote on Tuesday, inking Pierre-Paul to this deal was a big win for Giants general manager Jerry Reese. It gives the Giants a full season to further evaluate Pierre-Paul, and see what kind of player he can a year removed from his Fourth of July fireworks accident and, they hope, without the cumbersome club on his right hand.

If Pierre-Paul bounces back and has a big season? He's already made it clear he wants to be with the Giants, and they will have the inside track on signing him to a more substantial deal. They will also have the franchise tag in their back pocket. And if Pierre-Paul does not progress to the point the Giants are betting on, they can easily move on.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/03/here_are_giants_de_jason_pierre-pauls_contract_det.html

Then why a 1 year deal? Obviously they're still concerned about the hand, as they should be.

I'm only guessing, but I think that was probably JPP's call... 1 year deal, playing in a system he knows and likes, its a good chance to take another shot next off-season for a much bigger payday.

Give the guy a break.. he had that club on his hand... It'll get better.

It will get much smaller this year from what I've read. to be honest, he did pretty good with that big clunky ass thing. so I'm thinking he'll get way better this year.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 3m3 minutes ago

.@UDWJPP says he won't wear a protective "club" around his hand in 2016. Believes full training camp will help performance too @SiriusXMNFL

I'm hopeful he'll return to atleast somewhat of his 2011 form.

I've said it before JPP has honestly looked better AFTER blowing half his hand off then the last two years combined.

Only problem is the guy puts up 12+ sacks this year he probably cashes in with the fucking Browns or something.

I'm hopeful he'll return to atleast somewhat of his 2011 form.

I've said it before JPP has honestly looked better AFTER blowing half his hand off then the last two years combined.

Only problem is the guy puts up 12+ sacks this year he probably cashes in with the fucking Browns or something.

That's why we draft d-line early.

That way if JPP sucks we have his replacement, and if he is awesome and prices himself off the team, we have his replacement.

Trouble was, often those hurries led to completions...

Hopefully with Vernon and a good interior push the QB won't have anywhere to escape. The problem is when only one player is causing pressure there is a lot of room to slide around.

It will get much smaller this year from what I've read. to be honest, he did pretty good with that big clunky ass thing. so I'm thinking he'll get way better this year.

I thought it already had gotten smaller.

But really, some of you guys need to get a grip. I'm sure JPP will be the fist one to tell you he regrets the decision to handle fireworks and is ready to grasp the opportunity this year. And I know Spags isn't going to approach the situation ham-handedly, either.

But really, some of you guys need to get a grip. I'm sure JPP will be the fist one to tell you he regrets the decision to handle fireworks and is ready to grasp the opportunity this year. And I know Spags isn't going to approach the situation ham-handedly, either.

:LMAO: :WS:

You went all in ha? :LMAO: