SportsWrath

Tyler Sash had CTE

JMFP

Very tragic, but explains his erratic behaviour at the end. Fucking crime what the game does to some of these guys.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/27/sports/football/former-giants-safety-tyler-sash-found-to-have-cte.html?smid=tw-share&referer=&_r=1

....Cut by the Giants in 2013 after what was at least his fifth concussion, Sash had returned to Iowa and increasingly displayed surprising and irregular behavior, family members said this week. He was arrested in his hometown, Oskaloosa, for public intoxication after leading the police on a four-block chase with a motorized scooter, a pursuit that ended with Sash fleeing toward a wooded area.

Sash had bouts of confusion, memory loss and minor fits of temper. Although an Iowa sports celebrity, both as a Super Bowl-winning member of the Giants and a popular star athlete at the University of Iowa, Sash was unable to seek meaningful employment because he had difficulty focusing long enough to finish a job.

Barnetta Sash, Tyler’s mother, blamed much of her son’s changeable behavior, which she had not observed in the past, on the powerful prescription drugs he was taking for a football-related shoulder injury that needed surgery. Nonetheless, after his death she donated his brain to be tested for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., a degenerative brain disease caused by repeated trauma that has been found in dozens of former N.F.L. players

Last week, representatives from Boston University and the Concussion Legacy Foundation notified the Sash family that C.T.E. had been diagnosed in Tyler’s brain and that the disease, which can be confirmed only posthumously, had advanced to a stage rarely seen in someone his age......

You know... this issue is near and dear to me... I've suffered probably 5 concussions (the most severe was playing football where the symptoms last over 2 weeks... I recall taking 9 advils at once.. to no avail). Whether it's football or the Infantry life, I've had more head injuries than I can remember.... While it never affected my intelligence/performance, I have to wonder how much of those are responsible for my chronic migraines.. which I get 25 times a month on average... migraines so severe that my neurologist admits she'd never in her professional career met someone who has them so bad...

It's why I'm all for player safety... you can play the game without trying to decapitate another player...

For it to be as severe as it is....at such a young age (27).....the U of Iowa is going to have to step the fuck up on its health care for its players. I have had heard rumors that the being injury vs being hurt threshold has been moved higher in recent years from sources I trust.

This only goes to confirm it. ....37 straight starts...in three years...the way this kid played????

Something stinks in Iowa City.

C. Wagon

You know... this issue is near and dear to me... I've suffered probably 5 concussions (the most severe was playing football where the symptoms last over 2 weeks... I recall taking 9 advils at once.. to no avail). Whether it's football or the Infantry life, I've had more head injuries than I can remember.... While it never affected my intelligence/performance, I have to wonder how much of those are responsible for my chronic migraines.. which I get 25 times a month on average... migraines so severe that my neurologist admits she'd never in her professional career met someone who has them so bad...

It's why I'm all for player safety... you can play the game without trying to decapitate another player...

whoa, Nas, that's brutal. I'm good for one or two vomit-inducing migraines a month.... but 25 a month? I don't know how you deal.

whoa, Nas, that's brutal. I'm good for one or two vomit-inducing migraines a month.... but 25 a month? I don't know how you deal.

Nas isn't exercising and warming up his brain properly before he does a really involved task. Brain Plasticity is the key.

I have no choice... today is the 8 consecutive day with a severe migraine... I'm here at work as usual because sitting on the couch at home doesn't make it go away... it's fucking brutal...

lol Seph :rules: :banned: :big F-U:

I have no choice... today is the 8 consecutive day with a severe migraine... I'm here at work as usual because sitting on the couch at home doesn't make it go away... it's fucking brutal...

lol Seph :rules: :banned: :big F-U:

You should see about medicinal marijuana. It might help you.

You should see about medicinal marijuana. It might help you.

I had started smoking a few years back... didn't continue on as it wasn't really helping... I havn't smoked in years. CD is spot on.. did nothing for the pain..