SportsWrath

Jerry Reese Write-Up

Dragon

Great post. I don't agree with everything, but the effort you put into it allows for objective discussion.

My main criticism of Reese is one of philosophy, especially as it regards the defense and linebackers. Defensive players and coaches have gone through this team like shit through a goose under Reese. Reese inherited a top 10 defense with the most fearsome pass rush in the NFL. Look at them now, 9 years later.

Meanwhile, I just watched the first week of the playoffs, and saw linebackers absolutely dominate the action.

Reese was asked about linebackers years ago, and arrogantly replied "who were the linebackers in 2007?".... Implying linebackers were next to useless, and insulting solid guys like Pierce and Mitchell. In 2011, Reese had to be arm twisted into bringing Chase Blackburn back while the season was hanging from a thread.

In short, our GM is the worst defensive GM I've seen in my history as a Giants fan. Granted it's a small sample size, but Reese clearly doesn't understand that you can't put all your eggs in the basket of a defensive end. Teams have been keying into the structural flaws of this defense for years.... Neutralize JPP, and have your way at the 2nd level,

Anyway great post, thanks for taking the time to demonstrate how badly Reese sucks.

THIS... SO MUCH THIS!!!!! I swear I can't find that interview anywhere, but I was damn sure listening. IIRC it was in 2013 right before the start of the season on ESPN Radio. His response was exactly "Well... who were the LBs on our Super Bowl teams?" I almost threw up when I heard that nonsense.

EDIT: Thank God for Podcasts... #854 It starts around 5:45... http://www.podcastunited.com/Sports-and-Recreation/Dave-Rothenberg.html?Page=43&Play=Jerry-Reese-8-28