SportsWrath

Wow, so that's what NFL linebackers look like

JMFP

It's not surprising that the Bengals have conspiracy theories after the loss. It's the reason the Bengals players hate the Steelers so much. They feel, and there is probably some merit, that the Steelers get preferential treatment from the league. After Shazier hit Bernard the game was going to explode. As far as I know hitting any player high in the face mask is a penalty but Shazier got away with it and celebrated the knock out. I am almost positive Merriweather, and several others, have been flagged for hits like that.

Well, the fans are pissed, but that was a clean hit... Bernard was a ball carrier. Hence the fumble on the play. You can hit a runner anywhere you want.

But some of those personal fouls, anybody but the Bengals get away with that... Burfict in particular has such a reputation that they drop a flag if he breathes too heavy on someone.

Well, the fans are pissed, but that was a clean hit... Bernard was a ball carrier. Hence the fumble on the play. You can hit a runner anywhere you want.

But some of those personal fouls, anybody but the Bengals get away with that... Burfict in particular has such a reputation that they drop a flag if he breathes too heavy on someone.

Oh come on, CD, Burfict is one of the dirtiest players in the league! Brown took THREE steps. Nobody gets away with that hit.

You are right, though, Bernard was a runner and Shazier hit him clean and within the rules. In fact, the only reason he made contact with Bernard's helmet was that Bernard lowered his head just before impact. Shazier was going right for the torso, form tackle.

Oh come on, CD, Burfict is one of the dirtiest players in the league! Brown took THREE steps. Nobody gets away with that hit.

Filthy dirty. And it looked like a flag to me too, lol. If it was a flop, it was one hell of a flop. And even if he wasn't playing it up, its still a flag anyway.

Just don't tell that to a Bengals fan this week. Hell, just don't talk to Bengals fans this week. Wish I had the luxury.

And Shazier is a beast. That was a great play.

I am so fucking sick of seeing Pete Carroll jump around with glee when he lucks out because the opposition screwed up! I had Seattle winning and covering in my pool yesterday but as soon as I saw Petey Boy on the sideline, I couldn't help but root for the Vikes.

That fucker shits shamrocks.

I honestly feel Burflict - with no respect for him whatsoever - was actually trying to avoid Brown on that play. You can see him turning away...its just that Brown was in the air and it was unfortunate and he crashed into Burflicts pads. Look at the film again...Burflict actually tries to turn his body away from Brown at the last moment...he wasn't going full steam to level him. He is a nasty piece of shit and was being a bitch the whole game yes....but got unfairly penalized for a play that wasn't intentional and not entirely his fault.

Now the media bitches are saying Burflict also drove a knee into Big Ben's shoulder AFTER that sack...thereby causing ligament damage. Bull fucking shit. It was a clean sack and the fat fuck fell on his shoulder. Just because a player has a reputation of being dirty he ends up drawing unnecessary flak.

Hell....ODB tried to kill Norman....if Norman had gotten concussed ODB should have been penalized a lot more than Burflict for that one. And Brown apparently winked at Bengals players while walking off the field.

As Pacman is saying....if Brown actually plays on Sunday and gets cleared on Friday and....Im calling BS on the whole thing.

You are right, though, Bernard was a runner and Shazier hit him clean and within the rules. In fact, the only reason he made contact with Bernard's helmet was that Bernard lowered his head just before impact. Shazier was going right for the torso, form tackle.

Bernard never lowered his head and Shazier hit him high. All these calls are "borderline" but that was damn close to spearing (defenceless or not). I have no horse in this race but guarantee if Burfict makes that exact same hit it's spearing and a penalty.

yeah, you have a good point on the spearing. They NEVER call that anymore.

But Bernard definitely lowers his head as he turns up field.... its just a little bit, the very instant before Shazier hits him. Bernard was a runner, that part of the call was right, he just never saw Shazier coming.

I hate the entire penalty. They should redesign the helmets, and/or outlaw passing plays inside the hashmarks. That play over the middle has become completely overpowered thanks to the penalties it draws. It's nearly impossible to perform a proper form tackle on a "defenseless" receiver.

At the very least, they should focus on the defender... too often the penalty is called because the receiver is putting himself out there.

Or, they should should be more lenient on pass interference or holding.

I hate the entire penalty. They should redesign the helmets, and/or outlaw passing plays inside the hashmarks. That play over the middle has become completely overpowered thanks to the penalties it draws. It's nearly impossible to perform a proper form tackle on a "defenseless" receiver.

At the very least, they should focus on the defender... too often the penalty is called because the receiver is putting himself out there.

Chuck said it a few years ago... they essentially give the players a weapon on their heads. You didn't see this kind of stuff back when the players were wearing leather helmets.

If you could somehow go back to something like that or maybe even a hockey-style helmet, you'd probably see a lot less of this stuff.

Was there more concussions in the 80s and 90s then now? Obviously there probably isn't proper stats but to me it seems like a lot more knockouts are happening in this decade then back then. Anybody who was a big fan back then chime in on this. I know they used hit a lot more dirty back then but I don't remember a player like Reed getting layed out and he was always running in the middle. I'm sure he's had many concussions but I don't remember as many of those bedtime hits.

I think you a defender can make a proper tackle without injuring the receiver... the idea is to stop the play not to injure.

Chuck said it a few years ago... they essentially give the players a weapon on their heads. You didn't see this kind of stuff back when the players were wearing leather helmets.

If you could somehow go back to something like that or maybe even a hockey-style helmet, you'd probably see a lot less of this stuff.

They need to do something with those helmets. There should be some sort of give to the crown of the helmet, sort of like a spring/bumper or something.