SportsWrath

End of Season Awards

BleedinBlue

This from Fan Sided:

Defensive Player of the Year: Robert Ayers

Ayers set career-highs across the board despite playing only 12 games, as he received more snaps. His 41 tackles, 9.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and four passes defended were all career-highs for the seventh year player. The 9.5 sacks led the Giants, as he also paced them in quarterback pressures with 48 according to Pro Football Focus. He recorded multiple pressures in every game that he played in as well, and had only one negative game grade this season also according to Pro Football Focus.

Ayers finished the season extremely strong for the Giants, getting at least one sack in each of the final five games of the season and continuing to play hard despite the Giants playoff hopes being slim. He is slowly justifying his first round pick status.

Alternate Defensive MVP: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

He was really the only consistent player on that defense. When he was in the game, the unit seemed to at least have a chance. And its no coincidence that as soon as he left the game in Washington the Redskins uncorked a deep ball. He means a lot to the defense because hes that good and because of the lack of depth.

DRC, despite dropping some easy, easy interceptions, played at a Pro Bowl level for a majority of the year. DRC graded out relatively well in Pro Football Focus; ratings, too.

Rookie of the Year: Landon Collins

Despite being taken in the second round, Collins was by far the best rookie for the Giants in 2015. He was the only defensive player to never miss a game and he played a consistent and integral part on the defense.

He struggled in the beginning of the season, as he had a tough time in coverage. I continue to point to the New England game as the turning point of Collins season. After he dropped an interception that wouldve ended the game, Collins took his game to another level.

Collins still wasnt phenomenal in coverage, but he began to make plays on the field. His hard-hitting mentality made him a thrill to watch.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year: Victor Cruz]

Cruz runs away with this award, which is sadly the most running he did all year.

This was supposed to be an offense that featured a lethal one-two punch of Odell Beckham Jr. and Victor Cruz. Unfortunately, Cruz injured his calf early on and was eventually placed on season-ending IR. The most disappointing thing about it, though, was that it seemed like he was set to come back, only to be told he would have to wait another week.

The "Out of the Blue" Award: Will Tye

Larry Donnell was the presumptuous starter entering the year, as many, including me, thought he would take a big step forward.

What happened was a lot of regression, as Donnell finished the season on IR. He also only finished the year with 29 catches for under 250 yards. His replacement turned out to be the un-drafted Will Tye, and the unknown player turned heads.

He proved to be a reliable option in the passing game during the tail end of the season, and he should be a bigger part of the offense next season. Nicknamed "Baby Gates," Tye has the receiving ability to develop into a nice complementary piece to Odell Beckham Jr.

Unsung Hero Award: Weston Richburg

Richburg played like a Pro Bowl center for the entire year, and he simply doesnt get the credit he deserves. He switched back to his natural position and the Giants reaped the rewards.

When he was under center, the offensive line was simply just a different unit. Hes not an amazing athlete, but his natural aggression and technique makes him one of the best centers in the league.

He played nasty and mean for the entire year and never took a play off. In crucial moments of the game, Richburg was one of the guys to give it their all. I seriously expect Richburg to be a perennial Pro Bowl player in the near future.

Offensive MVP and Team MVP: Odell Beckham Jr.

Its obvious, but this award couldnt have gone to anyone else. When Beckham was on the field, the offense was able to move the chains. During his one-game suspension, though things got ugly real fast.

You could make a serious argument that no player is as valuable to his team than Beckham is. The offense can barely function with him not there.

Truth be told, I wanted to give this award to Eli. But for some reason I still think the offense would be able to function sans Eli as long as Beckham is playing.

When the offense needs a big play, Beckhams the guy to make it. Without Beckham, this team is probably no better than three wins. He was the only viable option in the passing game for most of the season. There were times when he felt unstoppable. Beckham took over games nearly single handedly.

His presence is paramount and his play is insane. So congrats, Odell.

I

Agree with all but Collins for ROY. I'd go with Flowers.

I thought the same thing. Flowers was stuffed into the hardest position to play as a rookie and held up well, limiting Eli to the fewest season sacks in his career (some credit must be given to McAdoo's quick strike system though)

And he was hurt - but continued to play hurt...which is a real football player.

I've often wondered if the Giants toyed with the idea of taking Collins with their first pick. They seemed awfully anxious to trade up in the 2nd round to grab him as though they were stunned that he was still on the board after round one.

Either way, we got a couple of top shelf players in the last draft. Too bad they went brain dead after selecting O-diggy!

I

I thought the same thing. Flowers was stuffed into the hardest position to play as a rookie and held up well, limiting Eli to the fewest season sacks in his career (some credit must be given to McAdoo's quick strike system though)

And he was hurt - but continued to play hurt...which is a real football player.

I've often wondered if the Giants toyed with the idea of taking Collins with their first pick. They seemed awfully anxious to trade up in the 2nd round to grab him as though they were stunned that he was still on the board after round one.

Either way, we got a couple of top shelf players in the last draft. Too bad they went brain dead after selecting O-diggy!

O-Diggy? Oh, the dude who was out for like an entire season with a fucking sprained ankle?

Flowers received the worst grade of all 32 first round picks

I don't know if I agree with that assessment. I think by the middle of the season he was playing hurt, too, but refused to miss games. And I doubt there was another first rounder who was asked to take on more than Flowers was. I think he is going to be really good, but I think you can make a case for either him or Collins to be our rookie of the year... as silly as a team award like that is. The mentality of Flowers to just refuse to miss a game and fight through some significant injuries that would've kept other players out... I think that example set was as much a credit to him and worthy of recognition as anything... guy is willing to run through a brick wall to play.

Flowers received the worst grade of all 32 first round picks

From who?

Is it based on the number of sacks he gave up? The Giants ranked 11th out of 32 for allowed sacks and were better than every team in the AFC http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

And that takes into consideration sacks given up by Newhouse and Jerry.

Flowers is a breath of fresh air with his attitude, his competitive spirit, his dedication to the game, his choosing his family over friends who choose to drink, party, snort, and fuck. And he's one of the strongest players in the NFL.

Flowers does not fare much better under the watchful eyes of the PFF analysts. He is the 67th-ranked offensive tackle out of 74 players graded and nearly at the bottom (73rd) in pass protection based on 39 pressures allowed (two sacks, eight hits, 29 hurries). Flowers is 42nd in run blocking.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/21/evaluating-giants-vital-rookies-troubling-stats-justify-concerns/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/02/pro-how-are-all-32-rookies-faring-in-the-2015-season/

I guess their thinking is that the difference between a hurry and a sack is the qb avoiding it himself?

The sacks allowed is more due to how quick the ball is coming out for that I'll give McAdoo credit. I don't think Flowers is a complete disaster and yes he was injured(Coughlin doesn't play guys injured though) and he was thrust into a spot I don't think he fits. I think he makes a better RT with even some development there. Looking back on it that's not something you take with the 9th pick

The sacks allowed is more due to how quick the ball is coming out for that I'll give McAdoo credit. I don't think Flowers is a complete disaster and yes he was injured(Coughlin doesn't play guys injured though) and he was thrust into a spot I don't think he fits. I think he makes a better RT with even some development there. Looking back on it that's not something you take with the 9th pick

Wasnt the knock of Flowers was the he was strong but really raw when it came to football fundamentals.

He wasnt AS NFL ready, he'll be a special player in another year of coaching, but he's got to learn technique because he cant rely on his strength like he did in college.

Still don't see why people are giving him such praise, he wasnt even starter quality, but he was thrust into a position due to injury.

Wasnt the knock of Flowers was the he was strong but really raw when it came to football fundamentals.

He wasnt AS NFL ready, he'll be a special player in another year of coaching, but he's got to learn technique because he cant rely on his strength like he did in college.

Still don't see why people are giving him such praise, he wasnt even starter quality, but he was thrust into a position due to injury.

yeah, this is similar to the stat of Tye having the best stats for any rookie tight end. Simply, he was thrust into a position due to attrition. Not many other teams had their rookies as starting TE's,I'd imagine. So it could be said that Flowers was one of the best rookie Left Tackles.

yeah, this is similar to the stat of Tye having the best stats for any rookie tight end. Simply, he was thrust into a position due to attrition. Not many other teams had their rookies as starting TE's,I'd imagine. So it could be said that Flowers was one of the best rookie Left Tackles.

Yeah I'm not saying Flowers did horrible, but he wasnt anything special as well, or even good, he was a rookie who shouldnt of been starting.

I was for sitting him the entire year at the beginning of the season, let Flaherty beat technique into his skull for an entire year while rotating him in on heavy packages and to let someone take a breather.

He couldnt the injury bug hit again, which was unfortunate.

I'm sure next season he'll be able to show what he can do and why the Giant's picked him at 9, cause he needs to be the anchor the Oline needs for these next few years as Eli's career comes to an end.

Right it's not really a knock on the player. More the Giants not having the luxury to develop him. The needed a playmaker at 9 not a developmental RT. They could of thrown Pugh at LT and Jerry at LG or picked a guard in free agency. They signed street free agents or brought back guys they cut at most other positions

Defensive MVP: As crazy as it sounds, I pick JPP. And I think he's a knucklehead, but in the games he played, there was a difference. There was more pressure on the qb and if Ayers had a career year, he can thank not being double teamed. It's going to be an interesting offseason.

Offensive MVP: It can only be Beckham. Eli played well, but again, some of those passes not being caught years ago by good wide receivers are not being caught by this guy. This is the best talent since LT.

Special Teams MVP: Dwayne Harris. Harris had a massive impact on the team this year.