SportsWrath

A detailed breakdown of Giants mid/late picks

JMFP

It's a long read, but the information and conclusion support what many of us have criticized for years.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/1/6/10721282/ny-giants-nfl-draft-jerry-reese-mid-to-late-roundpicks

.....During his Tuesday press conference New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese challenged a reporter who questioned him about a perceived lack of success in the middle to late rounds of recent draft classes.

"Have you researched that? Do you know that for a fact? Till you know that for a fact, I don't think you should say that. That's just my opinion. If you know that for a fact, you can tell me about that. But give me the facts on that," Reese demanded.

Since the general manager asked for the facts, Big Blue View went in search of them. There aren't a lot of statistical tools to go by in an effort to determine team-by-team draft success in a specified round. What I chose to do is study rounds 4-7 of Giants drafts from 2010-2014 using a stat from Pro Football Reference called DrAV. That is a player's Approximate Value during the time he played for the team that drafted him. PFR does not list Approximate Value for players drafted in 2015.

I figured out the average of the Approximate Value (AV) for each round in a given year and compared that to the AV for the player selected in that round by the Giants.

For example, the average AV for all players selected in Round 4 of the 2010 draft was 8.0. The Giants' fourth-round selection that season was middle linebacker Phillip Dillard, who lasted only one season in the NFL and had a career AV of 0. That would mean Dillard did not meet the expectations of his draft slot.

Overall, 17 of the 21 players selected by the Giants in rounds 4-7 from 2010-2014 have an Approximate Value below the median for players selected in the same round of their draft class. By that measure, and yes, you can certainly argue that it is a flawed or incomplete measure, 17 of the 21 picks would be considered below average. That's 80.9 percent of picks performing below the standard set by their classmates.....

There is more to stocking a roster than draft picks. Free agents brought in after the draft are equally important and invisible to every single list I have ever seen making these breakdowns. It has to be done for more than one team to get a clear picture. Someone on BBI did it for Seattle as a comparison.

Shit on Reese for Clint Sintim but no credit for Victor Cruz...

Half dozen players fit that criteria

Certainly no surprise there. I've been saying forever that we shine early, then play the dumb kid after round 3 kicks in. I can count on two fingers the keepers we've drafted after the 3rd round in the last few years that were good picks: Kennard and Nassib (even though some on here hate Nassib). I have my fingers crossed on Bobby Hart and Cooper

2011 draft we got Prince in round 1 - after that, every single player we drafted is out of the NFL and apart from Jacquian Williams, didn't even see the field except in extreme cases. That is pathetic

There is more to stocking a roster than draft picks. Free agents brought in after the draft are equally important and invisible to every single list I have ever seen making these breakdowns. It has to be done for more than one team to get a clear picture. Someone on BBI did it for Seattle as a comparison.

Shit on Reese for Clint Sintim but no credit for Victor Cruz...

Half dozen players fit that criteria

Agreed to a point. The problem is... it's difficult to find a list of udfas that came during the immediate months after the draft. Of the lists I've found, every single free agent signing is lumped together in one category... including guys that are signed immediately after the season ends. Unfortunately until someone manages to get way more specific with said lists we have to *Jerry Reese Voice* go with the hand we're dealt.

Agreed to a point. The problem is... it's difficult to find a list of udfas that came during the immediate months after the draft. Of the lists I've found, every single free agent signing is lumped together in one category... including guys that are signed immediately after the season ends. Unfortunately until someone manages to get way more specific with said lists we have to *Jerry Reese Voice* go with the hand we're dealt.

I haven't had a problem with coming up with those names. Players were on an NFL roster prior should be excluded from the draft and free agent rookie group. I know you are working on this so if you need help, let me know what you are looking for specifically and I will see what I can do.

I haven't had a problem with coming up with those names. Players were on an NFL roster prior should be excluded from the draft and free agent rookie group. I know you are working on this so if you need help, let me know what you are looking for specifically and I will see what I can do.

I'm gonna be back on it this weekend so if I still can't locate a detailed list I'll let you know.