SportsWrath

Tom Coughlin press conference 10:30am EST

Allstarjim

I wouldn't read into the Coughlin/Mara thing.

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton 19m19 minutes ago

For Coughlin dissed Mara conspirators: I'm told they were together upstairs after news conference chatting completely unaware of any "shade"

So was that the literal cold shoulder from Coughlin?

No way, Giants vice president of media relations Pat Hanlon.

“[Coughlin] was oblivious and only thinking about getting the hell out of there,” he told Newsday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/tom-coughlin-emotional-about-eli-manning-in-giants-farewell-1.11293471

Which is how I saw it, and how Coughlin is at every press conference.

When Reese came to the podium, Eli and most (or all, not sure) of the team got up from their seats and left before he started speaking.

Don't know what to read into that, but have to believe there is some inside turmoil heating up.

That is essentially their boss, the person who hired them, lol....so disrespecting Reese is equal to criticizing themselves, as players. That is what I, personally, would read into that.

There was a significant break between Mara's time at the podium and Reese going up to the podium. I think it would've been more strange if they had stuck around and waited for Reese's session to begin knowing that there wasn't a lot more time to get to be with Coughlin before he said his final goodbyes.

So was that the literal cold shoulder from Coughlin?

No way, Giants vice president of media relations Pat Hanlon.

“[Coughlin] was oblivious and only thinking about getting the hell out of there,” he told Newsday.

There's no way that's Pat Hanlon speaking. He didn't say "knucklehead" or "shit" at least once.

There was a significant break between Mara's time at the podium and Reese going up to the podium. I think it would've been more strange if they had stuck around and waited for Reese's session to begin knowing that there wasn't a lot more time to get to be with Coughlin before he said his final goodbyes.

Thats how I interpreted it too. They were going to be with Coughlin, not disrespecting Reese.

Thats how I interpreted it too. They were going to be with Coughlin, not disrespecting Reese.

Yeah...no reason to try and make something out of nothing. We all knew before the season ended that Coughlin was probably going to be out. Hell, half the board was calling for his head.

A lot of emotion going on. I doubt the emotion we all carry is even close to the emotion going on with the players and even the Mara and Trisch families. It was a business decision and probably one of the most difficult decisions the owners ever had to make. It's like having to put down the family dog after 16 years of faithful love. Very hard on the heart and nerves.

That doesn't surprise me. I was fortunate enough to know Jeff Feagles in passing when I lived in NJ and he was playing for the Giants (we were both involved in youth sports program and our kids went to school together). He spoke glowingly of Coach Coughlin, said he was an incredible coach, the best he ever played for - by far!

As usual, Carl Banks is correct:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/1/5/10719210/giants-gm-jerry-reese-panned-after-defiant-press-conference-john-mara-tom-coughlin

...Clearly there is a deficit in talent, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.... the end result was they had a very bad group of players of defense, offensively they struggled to find a No. 2 receiver all year. Your general manager, personnel folks, they've gotta be somewhat accountable. ...

"The focus is still on personnel. The thing that really tells you when a coach should be fired and when he should not is if you give a coach good talent and the talent doesn't play for him. That's not the case ... his best players played good for him, his bad players overachieved, they just weren't good enough ... you just couldn't get blood from a rock."

Carl Banks is one of the more insightful Giant observers and as usual, he is right on point: his best players played good for him, his bad players overachieved, they just weren't good enough ... you just couldn't get blood from a rock." BINGO!

How can anyone watch that and not cry like a little girl?

They will get a coach, hopefully a good one, but they will never find another Coughlin. Ever. Wins and losses be damned, this is the greatest organization on the face of the planet.

How can anyone watch that and not cry like a little girl?

They will get a coach, hopefully a good one, but they will never find another Coughlin. Ever. Wins and losses be damned, this is the greatest organization on the face of the planet.

That is true and that's why even though I think the NFL is a shady monopoly, I still watch the Giants