SportsWrath

Official Giants Coaching Interviews Thread

Mr. P

Mike Garafolo Verified account @MikeGarafolo

Giants will interview current defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for their head-coaching job this week, source says.

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan 3m3 minutes ago

Jordan Raanan

Offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo will also interview for the #Giants head-coaching job this week, source says.

I have no doubt that McAdoo is the frontrunner. He was the frontrunner for two years now to replace Coughlin. That said, I don't feel that McAdoo has earned or proven himself worthy of the opportunity just yet...especially given that he's had the chance to do so.

If it does turn out to be McAdoo, I expect growing pains for a year or two before he gets his act together in the same manner that it took that long for his offense to get going...but then again, it's LARGELY debatable whether it's McAdoo's offense or simply OBJ that has provided success on that front. We saw against the Vikings what McAdoo could do without OBJ...and that was scary bad.

I have no doubt that McAdoo is the frontrunner. He was the frontrunner for two years now to replace Coughlin. That said, I don't feel that McAdoo has earned or proven himself worthy of the opportunity just yet...especially given that he's had the chance to do so.

If it does turn out to be McAdoo, I expect growing pains for a year or two before he gets his act together in the same manner that it took that long for his offense to get going...but then again, it's LARGELY debatable whether it's McAdoo's offense or simply OBJ that has provided success on that front. We saw against the Vikings what McAdoo could do without OBJ...and that was scary bad.

Agreed.

McAdoo is one OBJ injury away from the 29th ranked offense in the league. Plus, it shouldn't take 15 weeks to figure out that a four running back rotation doesn't work.

Agreed.

McAdoo is one OBJ injury away from the 29th ranked offense in the league. Plus, it shouldn't take 15 weeks to figure out that a four running back rotation doesn't work.

That can be said of every Offensive Coordinator in the league and the RB rotation thing is way overblown. Yes, Jennings was probably the best of a mediocre lot but they took a shot looking for someone to step up to a higher level. Didn't work out but it's not like Gale Sayers was losing carries. We had a bad OL before the injuries set in, then it went from bad to worse. No 2nd or 3rd receiver, no TE until Tye started to develop and somehow it was still a top 10 Offense in yards per game and points scored.......so I know he's a good OC. Will that translate into a good HC? I honestly don't know but I trust the judgement of those who are in position to know better than I do. And I'm going to support and root for him, not hate him and look negatively on everything he does from the moment he assumes control.

That can be said of every Offensive Coordinator in the league and the RB rotation thing is way overblown. Yes, Jennings was probably the best of a mediocre lot but they took a shot looking for someone to step up to a higher level. Didn't work out but it's not like Gale Sayers was losing carries. We had a bad OL before the injuries set in, then it went from bad to worse. No 2nd or 3rd receiver, no TE until Tye started to develop and somehow it was still a top 10 Offense in yards per game and points scored.......so I know he's a good OC. Will that translate into a good HC? I honestly don't know but I trust the judgement of those who are in position to know better than I do. And I'm going to support and root for him, not hate him and look negatively on everything he does from the moment he assumes control.

I didn't like the rb rotation. But week to week after the game it was like I was wishing for a different guy to be the feature back the next game. One week I'd say "next week just feature Jennings" another week I'd say it about Vereen, another week I'd say it about Darkwa.

Though I do believe they should have picked any of them, even if they had given Williams 20 carries I think it would have had a better outcome than the committee.

Don't get sucked into the statistics. Really need to break it down by game to see the problems that hide in those year end stats. Take a shot at someone stepping up but don't blow half the season figuring it out at RB.

That rotation really killed the running game. With Odell Beckham Jr. becoming a force in the NFL the pressure was on McAdoo to get him the ball every single time we had it. Best receiving Rb on the roster was Vereen but he wasn't the best Rb out of the backfield. Jennings and especially when Williams was in and teams keyed in on the run not to forget the amazing whiff blocking we got from the TE position which made putting the FB out there pointless.

Drizzle pointed out a few weeks ago the RB committee over in Washington. They split 35-45 carries among 2-3 guys while we split 25 among 3-4 by mid season. Offense doesn't get into any kind of rhythm at Rb with a different guy each series or two different guys in one series with completely different running styles.

The OL killed the running game. And Odell led the league in targets - by a lot.

I highly, highly doubt that assertion. There were receivers this year who probably had more receptions than Beckham had targets.

I highly, highly doubt that assertion. There were receivers this year who probably had more receptions than Beckham had targets.

You're right - I was wrong about most targets (misread something earlier)....but there weren't receivers with more receptions than Odell's 159 targets. Still, I fully believe Eli sent the ball Odell's way whenever humanly possible.....but defenses aren't dumb - they figured out we had nobody else who could hurt them!

The flip side to your argument is: who did he have besides ODB?

Again....Coughlin wasn't fired or asked to leave. He took that decision on his own. The geezer is gonna be 70!!! And he didn't want to stick around until McAdoo could be primed groomed WTFever. Don't tinker with the offense - lets just get our players back. But the fucking D needs an overhaul. DL, Secondary - EVERYTHING!!! Give Spags some good players and he will get you a good fucking smart D.

I have a feeling we're going to be pretty bad for the next two years until this gets turned around. Those Jerry Reese drafts from 2008-2012 are really hurting us now.

I'm not ready for any of those 3 win seasons.

That argument didn't save Coughlin.

Correct but Coughlin has input in the personnel and he's presided over a few seasons in a row that are less than stellar... McAdoo on the other hand is on his 2nd year working with what he has.