SportsWrath

Coughlin out

Herc

“I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach. I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization.

“It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as head coach of the New York Football Giants. This is a not a sad occasion for me. I have spent 15 years with this organization as an assistant and head coach and was fortunate to be part of three Super Bowl winning teams. A Lombardi Trophy every five years is an achievement in which we all take great pride.

“Obviously, the past three years have not been what any of us expect, and as head coach, I accept the responsibility for those seasons.

“I think it has been evident these last 12 years here how much pride I take in representing this franchise. I am gratified and proud that we were able to deliver two more Lombardi trophies to the display case in our lobby during that time. That is a tribute to our players and staff, and it was truly fulfilling to be the leader of those teams.

“I appreciate the support of John and his family and Steve and his family, and of Jerry Reese and his staff. I think our organization is a great representation of what I mean when I talk about ‘team’.

“Finally, I would be remiss if I did not thank my wife Judy and our four children and their spouses and our 11 (soon to be 12) grandchildren. None of this would have been possible without their unconditional love and support.”

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statement-from-Tom-Coughlin/d62eff13-0844-4751-a96f-94187404388b

Honestly GOAT.

Ring of honour, Hall of Fame, the man deserves it all.

This era of Gints football has come to an end, the next page is about to begin, cant wait to hear all the "opinions" on here about the rebuild.

He's going to coach again, will be interesting to see where it is and will kill me to see him in a different team colour.

I think it's clear McAdoo isn't ready given he hasn't exactly proven himself as an OC. That's disappointing given there was distinct hope that he'd develop into a strong HC candidate to replace Coughlin. I'm glad other teams are giving him a look.

He did the right thing for the team as well.

He wasnt fired, he didnt have to retire, all these stupid articles saying "He hasnt made a decision yet" and was gonna force their hand.

He wants to coach but he knows it's time to move on from the Gints, I hope he does well whereever he does as long as it's outside the NFC East lol

Respect.

I think it's clear McAdoo isn't ready given he hasn't exactly proven himself as an OC. That's disappointing given there was distinct hope that he'd develop into a strong HC candidate to replace Coughlin. I'm glad other teams are giving him a look.

I'm happy with McAdoo as OC but I'd like a defensive minded HC. However, we do lose him and Spags to a new HC. This could be Much McAdoo About Nothing

I'm happy with McAdoo as OC but I'd like a defensive minded HC. However, we do lose him and Spags to a new HC. This could be Much McAdoo About Nothing

You son of a....

I don't think the question ever was if Coughlin was going to get the boot, especially after how the season wound down. The real question is whether the axe catches Reese on the next pass.

JR is going to get the chance to finally build "his team", he had to work a coach/qb/staff from the EA era, Mara is gonna give him another chance.

Ross is gonna be gone more then likely.

MacAddo and Spags should start thinking about selling their NY homes, no HC is gonna want to be forced into working with coordinators he doesnt want.

No doubt the OC and DC are likely gone unless they are guys the new HC wants. I mean, I suppose for example if we brought in a guy like Sean Payton, who worked with Spags in New Orleans, could come in and retain him if Spags isn't scooped up sooner. Given Spags just trotted out arguably the worst defense ever, I can't imagine having a ton of teams lining up for him.

JR had the easier job of maintaining what was left for him as opposed to rebuilding from nothing and failed. In my opinion, he shouldn't get the chance to rebuild a team that he has left devoid of talent at a lot of levels when the cupboard was pretty well stocked when he came in.