SportsWrath

My quick offseason fix plan for our roster..short version

osi724dasack

They don't draw up many plays to the tight end so a lot of times it seems the tight end is merely a check down. We are seeing them start to utilize Tye in the red zone though, which I like, and he has proven he can get open and hold onto the ball.

I think a lot of people thought that would change with McAdoo being a former TE coach and developing JerMichael Finley and Quarless, but GB doesn't use the TE that much either. I have Richard Rodgers on my fantasy and he'll have crazy weeks and then weeks with like two targets

I think when Donnell comes back, we have three tight ends that are at least capable and in many ways above average. Cunningham had been solid for us, as well. When you talk about glaring positional weaknesses, i dont jump to tight end. They arent highly drafted prospects and dont have versatile skillsets but they have gotten the job done. And theres something to be said about that, as we have guys like rueben randle and prince amukamara who are highly drafted prospects with excellent skillsets who arent gettin the job done.

Dude I'm sorry but Cunningham fucking sucks so bad. Definitely Imo one of the top 5 worst players on the active game day rosters this year. Agree with your main point tho. Donnell/Tye is ok, I'd add a nice blocking Fells type for Insurance and bring back Cunningham as a camp body.

If I was to pick 3 positions on my wish list:

1. We need a two way linebacker that can play both the run and pass. In eight years Reese has been completely incompetent in this area in both free agency and the draft. I'd recommend a MLB that can be the defensive QB; Brinkley and Unga are backups, not threats.

2. We need a free safety. Merriweather and Collins are both box safeties and while both have their strengths, neither supports the pass well.

3. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I really think a two way TE would do wonders for this offense. The blocking could help the running game on the edge, and having a guy for the short and intermediate routes would be huge with Beckham drawing double coverage. Again, Tye could be that guy maybe if he improves his blocking, but Donnell might be the worst blocking TE I've ever seen... and I saw Zeke Mowatt play.

Of course, you could point to literally any position besides wideout and qb and say it needs an upgrade.

Tyes not an all pro but I think we can live with him. Nice possession TE but 0 game breaking ability

I dont know what more you guys want from a tight end. He catches the passes thrown to him. Not sure what else he can do. His stats speak for themselves.

I love Jeffrey but that dude is brittle as hell and they aren't going to pay both him and beckham their market value

I wasn't aware of the injury history with him and if it's as bad as everyone says then we need to pass, but by the time Beckham becomes ready to get a new contract Eli SHOULD be gone and the salary cap should be much higher than it is now. I'd rather take full advantage of having 2 dangerous receiving threats for several years while Eli plays out the rest of his career.

I think he's been a real find, but until he learns to block a little better he's pretty one dimensional. But hey, Shannon Sharpe and Jeremy Shockey were both lousy blockers who eventually learned it, no reason to think Tye can't do it as well, but he's just not there yet.

I think we have decisively decided, as a board, that no one on the offensive side can block other than Weston Richburg. Though Eli is experiencing career high lengths of time spent upright and career highs in touchdowns.

But it is definitely not a coaching problem.

He can be upgraded is all. I mean it's not like the position won't be there in the draft

Can he, though? We wont go tight end in the first four rounds...or, I should say, we shouldnt be keying on a tight end in those rounds.

So it comes down to can we get a better contributing tight end in rounds 5-7 that will come in and immediatley be better?

I think we've found something in Tye. He's still learning but has the tools to develop into a solid TE. Giants will get a few TE's into camp - maybe a low draft choice and/or a few undrafted free agents, maybe a vet - to give him some competition and to find the 2nd and 3rd TE's we'll carry but I'd be OK with a still improving Will Tye lining up as our starting TE next year.

Offensively, my top priority is two more OL's, to fit in among Flowers, Pugh and Richburg and to get some depth. Lot of questions to be answered but an influx of talent is clearly needed here. Eli wasn't sacked much only because he got rid of the ball so quickly this year (making his 63% completion rate, 3,900 yards, 32/11, 96.1 rating all the more impressive). A better indicator of the line's ineffectiveness is our 25th ranking in rushing yards per game (and tied for last in rushing TD's).

Only spots I see as locked are Flowers at LT and Richburg at C. Does Pugh stay at Guard or go back to RT? Does Beatty return? Can Dallas Reynolds and/or Bobby Hart compete for one of the two open starting spots or provide quality depth? Maybe....but wouldn't count on it. New blood needed!

Other offensive need, as we've said all year, is a receiver to do what Randle can't - step up when defenses over-commit to Odell. If Cruz doesn't make it back, I'm OK with Harris in the slot.

But as we all seem to agree (incredible in itself!), the biggest needs are on Defense. I'd let JPP go. Yes, he can still get pressure but his tackling is clearly compromised by not being able to grab with that hand. Save your cap $$ and move on. Hope ODiggy comes on but through draft or free agency, we need some disruptive DE's. Think we're OK inside, with big Hank coming back and a Cullen Jenkins type vet.

Then there's Linebackers. Two, please! Inside and outside. And maybe a 3rd situational guy, like a Byron Hunt, Andy Headon used to be. Just find some disruptive playmakers! We haven't had one of those in a long damn time!

And of course, a safety or two. Hope to hell Collins will be OK with a year of experience. He looks athletic and tackles well - looks like a football player - but he appeared hesitant and uncertain too often. Maybe that's to be expected - a lot was asked of him as a rookie. Get a vet free safety and I think (hope) Collins will learn from him, work off him, get comfortable and develop.

Our corners are solid. Give them a pass rush and better safety play and they'll be just fine. Get some depth to handle the 4/5 WR sets but that's doable.

Give Spags some quality personnel to work with - bonafide NFL starters - and you'll be amazed how much smarter he'll get.

Can he, though? We wont go tight end in the first four rounds...or, I should say, we shouldnt be keying on a tight end in those rounds.

So it comes down to can we get a better contributing tight end in rounds 5-7 that will come in and immediatley be better?

I think they may go TE in the first three rounds, but probably not

I think we've found something in Tye. He's still learning but has the tools to develop into a solid TE. Giants will get a few TE's into camp - maybe a low draft choice and/or a few undrafted free agents, maybe a vet - to give him some competition and to find the 2nd and 3rd TE's we'll carry but I'd be OK with a still improving Will Tye lining up as our starting TE next year.

Offensively, my top priority is two more OL's, to fit in among Flowers, Pugh and Richburg and to get some depth. Lot of questions to be answered but an influx of talent is clearly needed here. Eli wasn't sacked much only because he got rid of the ball so quickly this year (making his 63% completion rate, 3,900 yards, 32/11, 96.1 rating all the more impressive). A better indicator of the line's ineffectiveness is our 25th ranking in rushing yards per game (and tied for last in rushing TD's).

Only spots I see as locked are Flowers at LT and Richburg at C. Does Pugh stay at Guard or go back to RT? Does Beatty return? Can Dallas Reynolds and/or Bobby Hart compete for one of the two open starting spots or provide quality depth? Maybe....but wouldn't count on it. New blood needed!

Other offensive need, as we've said all year, is a receiver to do what Randle can't - step up when defenses over-commit to Odell. If Cruz doesn't make it back, I'm OK with Harris in the slot.

But as we all seem to agree (incredible in itself!), the biggest needs are on Defense. I'd let JPP go. Yes, he can still get pressure but his tackling is clearly compromised by not being able to grab with that hand. Save your cap $$ and move on. Hope ODiggy comes on but through draft or free agency, we need some disruptive DE's. Think we're OK inside, with big Hank coming back and a Cullen Jenkins type vet.

Then there's Linebackers. Two, please! Inside and outside. And maybe a 3rd situational guy, like a Byron Hunt, Andy Headon used to be. Just find some disruptive playmakers! We haven't had one of those in a long damn time!

And of course, a safety or two. Hope to hell Collins will be OK with a year of experience. He looks athletic and tackles well - looks like a football player - but he appeared hesitant and uncertain too often. Maybe that's to be expected - a lot was asked of him as a rookie. Get a vet free safety and I think (hope) Collins will learn from him, work off him, get comfortable and develop.

Our corners are solid. Give them a pass rush and better safety play and they'll be just fine. Get some depth to handle the 4/5 WR sets but that's doable.

Give Spags some quality personnel to work with - bonafide NFL starters - and you'll be amazed how much smarter he'll get.

Nice insight.

I still think we need to make a legitimate pass rush our first priority - both in FA and the draft. After that, a top shelf free safety in FA.

Draft priorities will always depend on who falls through the cracks and who is still on the board when our pick comes up. But if it's not obvious, our early priorities should be to grab a stud DE, a stud LB (neither should be a hybrid) and someone to fill a need on the right side of the O-line who will be there for the next 10 years growing with the group of 3 that is our future. It would be nice to have a bulldozing o-lineman who could actually make some holes for our RBs so we don't suck so bad in the red zone or in third-n-short situations.

The NFL Spin Zone declares that the Giants should use their first round draft pick on Ezekiel Elliot, RB out of Ohio State. But I don't like that idea at all. I guess watching us tab Ron Dayne and David Wilson with our 1st round pick in the past has made me very gun shy about drafting a RB with such a valuable pick. And I still think the success of a RB has more to do with an o-line and supporting cast than it does athletic ability alone. Anyway, I will not be happy if we burn our first on a RB. Link to dumb story: http://nflspinzone.com/2015/12/26/new-york-giants-need-ezekiel-elliott/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

QB: same, maybe see if anyone wants Nassib in a trade but otherwise no changes made.

RB: keep everyone except maybe Andre Williams. Replace him with a late round pick.

fB: Bring IN A CHEAP actual FB who can block.

WR: restructure Cruz, Randle walks. SIGN ALSHON JEFFRY. draft a WR top 4 rounds!

Te: Sign a cheap solid #2 Te who can block.

OL: spend on a stud starter, and a vet backup. Bring beatty back, maybe draft one as well.

k: brown can stay

P: wing can stay

de: try like hell to get JPP back on a reasonable deal. Let ayers walk unless he comes back for the minimum, sign a pass rusher, bring back selvie or Wynn and also draft another DE high

lb: sign the best available Linebacker in FA, maybe Von miller, and also sign another vet tough guy. Get rid of Unga, Beason and maybe Herz

Cb: resign Prince to a DRC type deal, let Hosely walk, wade walk, McBride, sign a savvy vet or two and also draft.

Safety. Sign the best FS available and also another mid level FS to play in dime sets and to spell Collins. Also sign another safety comng off Injury but with talent to play the 4th spot.

Put me in the 'pass' category for Alshon. I just think with OBJ, we need a complement, either draft a superstar with Alshon skills or, if you go free agency, get an upside, cheaper receiver as a complement (more on that later). I agree with a lot of what you said there, though, especially need a strong FS.

There are no quick fixes... The usual has to be looked out... Who's EARNING their paycheck... bloated contracts out of the door... and JR needs to be smarter about who to sign in FA.... Nassib is here to stay.. he's the heir apparent to Eli. We have a few stars... ODB, Rookie LT (that's his position and beatty can stay on the OL mabye at RT)...

Don't forget Richburg, Nas! I also still like JPP and think he will be a great player again (I think he's already shown he's still a very good player).

Norman is 29 and having his first great season on a defense where everybody is clicking. Besides we can't shell out drc money twice on the other cb spot

Norman had a great season last year as well.

I think the offense is dying for a Tight End like Boss. I know some guys are high on 45 but I don't see it. Proof is Eli doesn't look for him too much.

I'm bullish on Tye, but not opposed to drafting an upside TE in the middle rounds. I also am not as harsh as some here are on Cunningham. These guys are young, and need some development. I think with some players you have to give them some time and seasoning. You shouldn't get rid of players who clearly have tools after a losing season... guys like Tye, Cunningham, and Unga have had the benefit of on-field experience for a season, some starting experience, and can very well be better players as they have that experience now in their rearview, as well as being more and more comfortable with the schemes and systems under McAdoo and Spags. I like these guys and those are your future critical role players. Gotta give guys experience to have experienced guys.

The Giants are going to have around 50 million dollars of play money in the offseason. My hope is that they spend wisely on free agents. Pick up a couple of top end players instead of 10 mediocre players.

My wish list in FA:

- WR Alshon Jeffery (Bears) to compliment O'Dell

- DT/DE Mike Daniels (Packers) dominates the defensive line and wreaks havoc on an offensive line. If he isn't double teamed, he will throw you around like a toy in the way

- DT Marcell Dareus (Bills) 25 yrs old and arguably the best inside defensive lineman in the NFL

- RT Mitchell Schwartz (Browns) Geoffrey's younger brother. He is rated as the best RT in the NFL...and unlike his brother, stays healthy

- LB Justin Houston (Chiefs)

- FS Eric Weddle (Chargers) the only downside is his age (30), but he's fast, he's mean, and can cover the backside like no other safety

- SS Eric Berry (Chiefs)

-------------------------------------------

I'd be happy with two or three of those fellers and we will finally have the cash on hand to make a good play for their services. Granted, their current teams will go all out to keep them, but a few will test the market.

-------------------------------------------

On the "B" list of FA's, OG Marshall Yanda (Baltimore) is considered the best guard in the business and a perennial Pro-Bowler. I put him on the B-list because he's 30 years old.

Yeah man... if we make a big money splash in free agency (and I think the Giants HAVE to, I'd like them to go after a defensive lineman or safety. The guys you listed here would be fantastic signings. I think Dareus will want Suh money and I don't think you can devote so much money to hurt your cap situation later on one guy. A first round draft pick could ultimately be spent on a D-lineman with this kind of upside, though. No guarantees with rookies but there are never guarantees with anybody, anyway. I do love the idea of signing Weddle or Berry.

I actually started putting my plan together a few nights ago. It isn't complete, because I haven't really looked towards the draft as of yet, but I definitely have some free agency targets.

QB - no changes

RB - None ATM... I'm willing to give Andre Williams 1 more year to get it right behind a OL that is actually worth a damn.

FB - Not sure

WR - We need to part ways with Randle and look heavily at Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, and Marvin Jones. I want to see one of those 3 in a Giants uniform next season.

TE - Only one that jumps out to me right now is Ladarius Green (SAN)

LT - None because Flowers is my OL Hero

LG - None unless Pugh is moved back to RT

C - None

RG - Brandon Brooks (Houston) is young and has a mean streak. The problem I see with him is he lunges in his blocking sometimes, but that can be corrected with proper coaching.

RT - Give Beatty an option... Take this pay cut and move to RT or find work elsewhere. Haven't had the chance to look at any available RTs because Beatty and Pugh are still here.

DE - JPP needs to be brought back at a REASONABLE deal and we need to target someone like Olivier Vernon from Miami.

DT - Prior to him being elected to the Pro Bowl I was looking at Mo Wilkerson (NYJ) and I'd still test the waters for him. Other than that we need to look at Terrance Knighton (WAS).

OLB - My targets here (Bruce Irvin/Von Miller) are gonna be stupid expensive so this probably won't be fixed in free agency, but still... test the waters.

MLB - Unless we plan on moving Kennard here, we should look at Shea McClellan (CHI) and Derrick Johnson (KC). Johnson's downside is his age, but hey... I don't want to see Unga or Herzlich starting for this team anymore.

CB - Bring back Prince at a REASONABLE deal. Since he's taken a liking to allowing WRs to run free behind him recently he shouldn't be too expensive. Other targets are Patrick Robinson (SAN), Nolan Carroll (PHI) and Jerraud Powers (ARI)... None of which I believe will be here next year.

FS - My top targets here are Eric Weddle (SAN) and Eric Berry (KC). Berry is already making a lot and will probably be seeking more (Although with the cancer battle over he's lucky to be playing at all)... and Weddle is 30 so he's a stopgap to me. My backup plan... bring back my cousin, Walter Thurmond 3rd (PHI). As far as I know he's managed to stay healthy and out of trouble in Philly so why not bring him back?

K - Brown has done a good job except for missing 2 FGs over the last 3 weeks... one of which ended a game in a loss. Try to bring him back... if not Brandon McManus (DEN) and Justin Tucker (BAL) are both available and both really good options.

When I was constructing this list the thing that popped out to me was "How the hell are we going to afford these targets?" and then I realized that we are estimated to be $37.97M under the cap... and that's including money that's tied up in players that are not doing anything for us at the moment... Beatty, Cruz and Beason. According to Overthecap.com's Cap Calculator... releasing the 3 of them would give us an additional $15M to play around with (more if released after June 1st), bringing our total around $53M. Now the sentimental Giants fan in me doesn't wanna see us just start axing people, but the realisting and rational Giants fan in me knows that this is a business and that this roster is desperate for improvements, so those decisions might just need to be made.

What I love the most here are your WR options... these are the guys I would target as well. Mid-priced complements to OBJ that have real skills... Marvin Jones, Jermaine Kearse, and Mohamed Sanu, in that order, for me. But I would love any of those three.

QB-No changes

RB-Would like a speedster back like Lamar Miller

OT-Cordy Glenn(BUF) Can play LT or RT

OG-Amini Silatolu(CAR) JR Sweezy(SEA) Alex Boone(SF) Vladmir Ducasse(CHI) many options here

WR-Jermaine Kearse(SEA) young and will come much cheaper Jeffery. Draft a slot WR.

TE-Not much in free agency. DRAFT A TE!

DE-Vinny Curry(PHI) Doesn't fit their scheme and still managed 9 sacks last year. Can be a monster in 4-3 where he played at Marshall. No to resigning JPP. Ayers yes. Draft one

DT-Nick Fairley(STL) B.J Raji(GB) Terrance Knighton(DEN) Ian Williams(SF) Draft one

CB-Janoris Jenkins(STL)

FS-Tashaun Gipson(CLE) 13 interceptions over the past three years for a defense that's never on the field

LB-Draft Reggie Ragland LB Alabama in round one

K-Justin Tucker would be fine or sticking with Brown would be fine

I really like Vinny Curry, and he'd be a great choice. I think he'll command a lot of money but not so much that he would be cost prohibitive like Marcell Dareus would be. Re-signing JPP, signing Curry, and using a first rounder on an impact DT, getting back Hankins, and some hopeful development of Odighezuwa, and the Giants can really get back to their brand of football.

I say no to Fairley, though. I just think the guy isn't a winner. If we let Prince walk, Janoris Jenkins would be a tremendous replacement.

And as I mentioned above, Kearse would be my second choice (maybe first) at WR, after Marvin Jones. Good stuff.

Gotta throw Witten in with that group. He has single handedly destroyed the Giants over and over and carries the team on his back as well as bails out Romo dozens of times each game.

Im afraid Witten is nearing retirement and his chemistry with Romo is established..., I really like the TE with the Redskins.

Im afraid Witten is nearing retirement and his chemistry with Romo is established..., I really like the TE with the Redskins.

I didn't mean that we could get Witten as he'll retire a Cowboy with great fanfare. I was just responding to Drizzle's post who said that Gronkowski and Olsen were two TE's that can beat another team single-handedly.

I don't think there are any TE's going into free agency that would make any difference to the Giants. Last year I desperately wanted the Giants to take Jesse James in the draft. But he went to the Steelers. He is a couple of years away from being a starter, but will eventually big a great one. He left college too early and I knew he'd be a raw player that needed grooming before he started to make his mark on the game. He will eventually.

Regardless, it would be really nice if the Giants had a Gronk/Witten type of TE on the team. Hell, I'd be happy if Cruz returned and looked like the old Cruz. I hope this year off has made him very, very healthy and that he hasn't lost anything in his game. That alone would change everything.

Yea Reed is a young stud for sure.

Honestly I see a little bit of Delanie Walker in Will Tye, we will see If Tye can live up to that comparison.