SportsWrath

What to do with the rest of the season? Time to look ahead to next year

BleedinBlue

I agree. I won't (can't really) root against my team. But it's a lot easier to swallow the impending loss when all hopes are already shattered. They don't really have a shot to make the playoffs...which can only happen if they win both final games and Washington loses both games - and even then, it's a tie for first with the skins. And if by some miracle we actually won the division, we would get eliminated in the first round of the playoff anyway and then the boys, eagles, and skins draft ahead of us breaking our hearts when the guy we all want gets snatched by a team in our division just ahead of our turn to pick. It's been a tough year for Giants' fans and time to look forward to next year.

If that happens it's not a tie for first, we would be 8-8 and the skins would be 7-9.

Humbling:

The only way the Giants can make the playoffs is to win their final two games while Washington loses its final two. Any outcome outside of those, and the Giants miss the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.

And judging by the Giants track record in "must win" games, we can expect the Skins to lose on Saturday and the Giants to promptly fold like a card table on Sunday.

I'm rooting for the Giants to lose if they are eliminated because I want the Giants to be able to move down in the draft, not up. I think they need multiple 2nd rounders, so many holes on the team. The more valuable than he first rounder is, the easier it will be to swing a trade and the more we can get in return.

I'm rooting for the Giants to lose if they are eliminated because I want the Giants to be able to move down in the draft, not up. I think they need multiple 2nd rounders, so many holes on the team. The more valuable than he first rounder is, the easier it will be to swing a trade and the more we can get in return.

Disagree about trading down. Yes, there are plenty of holes to fill, but there needs to be an OBJ impact player drafted for the defense this offseason and unless the Giants scouting/drafting department, who has taken a lot of heat lately (justifiably so), finds a player no other team has on its radar....then I think they need to stay in the first round and as far up that ladder as they can get.

I think that they need to draft heavy on defense, but not ignore the offensive line at the same time.

Draft: DE, CB/FS, LB, OLine

FA: WR, DE, TE, OLine, CB/FS

Pulling in a Shaq Lawson in the draft with a Von Miller in FA would be ideal. Resign JPP on a fair, incentive laden deal (TFL, sacks, FF, FR, etc).

Disagree about trading down. Yes, there are plenty of holes to fill, but there needs to be an OBJ impact player drafted for the defense this offseason and unless the Giants scouting/drafting department, who has taken a lot of heat lately (justifiably so), finds a player no other team has on its radar....then I think they need to stay in the first round and as far up that ladder as they can get.

I think that they need to draft heavy on defense, but not ignore the offensive line at the same time.

Draft: DE, CB/FS, LB, OLine

FA: WR, DE, TE, OLine, CB/FS

Pulling in a Shaq Lawson in the draft with a Von Miller in FA would be ideal. Resign JPP on a fair, incentive laden deal (TFL, sacks, FF, FR, etc).

I'd move LB up on that list but generally agree. #1 priority must be getting a pass rush!

And judging by the Giants track record in "must win" games, we can expect the Skins to lose on Saturday and the Giants to promptly fold like a card table on Sunday.

No no... we win and they lose.. then we flop against the Eagles.. cause that's how we roll.

I also think without knowing who is in the draft and who is on the board when we are picking it's silly to just say "in the first with should draft this position, in the second we should draft this position etc".

It's very preliminary, admittedly. There have been some early draft analyses that show a number of highly rated DEs for the first round...but yes, the draft is a long way off and things will change drastically throughout the process.

It's very preliminary, admittedly. There have been some early draft analyses that show a number of highly rated DEs for the first round...but yes, the draft is a long way off and things will change drastically throughout the process.

I am not big on Lawson. He doesn't have explosiveness. Lawson and Ogbah are both SDE and in the same mold as Diggy

If we lose to the Eagles the Giants will play in London v Rams on Oct 23rd ( Rams home game ) .........come on Philly ![/size]

That is not a game we should hope to win. The winner of that game gets to go to Seattle next season (a tough venue for the Giants) and the loser of the game gets to go to London to face the Saints. Not to mention, the winner of the game drafts after the loser of the game by more than one spot and by as many as 5 spots.

Horrible way to look at a game, but that's reality. A loss is far better than a win in that game from a strategic point of planning ahead for next season.

My uncle owns some sporting goods stores in Florida, and knows a lot of college scouts and whatnot. He gets some good insider info but also sometimes hears stuff that's not true, of course... you know how the rumor mill goes.

Anyways, he heard that if the Giants lose this weekend, everyone is gone. TC, Reese, the training staff, and many of the players. They're going to blow the whole thing up. Take what you want from that, but it'd sure be an interesting offseason for once (though it will be hard to top the legendary J.T. Thomas signing).

Blowing the whole thing up...I think there are enough pieces to build around...but some of the guys that you'd previously be sold on, I, for one, have softened on. Guys like Cruz and Amukamara...Beatty even...could go. If by 'blowing it up' they mean taking a harder stance on who they retain, then so be it.

At the end of the day, what players do you think are absolute keepers long term?

Flowers, Pugh, Richburg, Manning, Beckham, Kennard, DRC

Maybe you add Amukamara, Cruz, and Harris to that list, but only at team-friendly deals.

But then who else? Seriously, what other guys could the Giants NOT live without? I mean, you're not going to cut all but 9 or 10 guys...but in all seriousness, who has played so well that you couldn't cut their production from this team?

Blowing the whole thing up...I think there are enough pieces to build around...but some of the guys that you'd previously be sold on, I, for one, have softened on. Guys like Cruz and Amukamara...Beatty even...could go. If by 'blowing it up' they mean taking a harder stance on who they retain, then so be it.

At the end of the day, what players do you think are absolute keepers long term?

Flowers, Pugh, Richburg, Manning, Beckham, Kennard, DRC

Maybe you add Amukamara, Cruz, and Harris to that list, but only at team-friendly deals.

But then who else? Seriously, what other guys could the Giants NOT live without? I mean, you're not going to cut all but 9 or 10 guys...but in all seriousness, who has played so well that you couldn't cut their production from this team?

It's why it's a 'rebuilding process'

If/when Bitch Mara decides to move onto the next era of Giants football and he should after these last few seasons, it's not like the Giants are going to be overnight contenders.

Whoever the next HC/GM combo is will want their own guys, their own coordinators, their own schemes, their own roster which might not even include guys like DRC, Manning, and certainly wont include alot of the scrub players currently making up the majority of this roster.

It's time for the Giant's to turn the chapter on this amazing run of Giants football, but fans got to realize that the next step is going to take a whole lot of 'rebuilding' years before it gets better, especially with the weak roster.

It's why it's a 'rebuilding process'

If/when Bitch Mara decides to move onto the next era of Giants football and he should after these last few seasons, it's not like the Giants are going to be overnight contenders.

Whoever the next HC/GM combo is will want their own guys, their own coordinators, their own schemes, their own roster which might not even include guys like DRC, Manning, and certainly wont include alot of the scrub players currently making up the majority of this roster.

It's time for the Giant's to turn the chapter on this amazing run of Giants football, but fans got to realize that the next step is going to take a whole lot of 'rebuilding' years before it gets better, especially with the weak roster.

I already want to fire the next headcoach.

A new coach won't complain about having Manning, a franchise QB on the roster. Manning, can't be cut due to the cap hit the Giants would take.

I think that whatever coach comes in, would have to go with the mindset of making one last run at a championship with Eli and following that up with the opportunity to transition the team on to a new starting QB. Whatever head coach candidate that you think would handle that opportunity the best, is the one we'd want to go with.

My uncle owns some sporting goods stores in Florida, and knows a lot of college scouts and whatnot. He gets some good insider info but also sometimes hears stuff that's not true, of course... you know how the rumor mill goes.

Anyways, he heard that if the Giants lose this weekend, everyone is gone. TC, Reese, the training staff, and many of the players. They're going to blow the whole thing up. Take what you want from that, but it'd sure be an interesting offseason for once (though it will be hard to top the legendary J.T. Thomas signing).

Whatever happens, I doubt the decision hinges on this weekend. They know what they're going to do right now.

They are not cutting Harris after the first season of his deal... Especially when he was one of the strong points of this team.

Amukamara is a good player. He played hurt a lot this season. But we've seen him when he's healthy and he's an A to A- corner. Yes, he played at B to B- much of this year, but I believe that has everything to do with him just being a gamer and battling through injuries.