SportsWrath

What to do with the rest of the season? Time to look ahead to next year

BleedinBlue

Two games left - at Minnesota (night game) and Eagles (home game). We aren't a good enough team to go all the way - and we're in the middle of the pack of 6-8 teams the effects the draft order.

Minnesota is 9-5 and we will be playing on their home turf without OBJ. That leaves us at 6-9 IMO

Eagles play us tough, have improved dramatically....and always seem to have our number. That leaves us at 6-10.

This is the current draft order if nothing changes:

1. Tennessee Titans: (3-11)

2. Cleveland Browns: (3-11)

3. San Diego Chargers: (4-10)

4. Baltimore Ravens: (4-10)

5. Dallas Cowboys: (4-10)

6. San Francisco 49ers: (4-10)

7. Detroit Lions: (4-9)*

8. New Orleans Saints: (5-8)*

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: (5-9)

10. Miami Dolphins: (5-9)

11. Chicago Bears: (5-9)

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: (6-8)

13. New York Giants: (6-8)

14. Indianapolis Colts: (6-8)

15. Oakland Raiders: (6-8)

16. Philadelphia Eagles: (6-8)

17. Buffalo Bills: (6-8)

18. St. Louis Rams: (6-8)

19. Atlanta Falcons: (7-7)

20. New York Jets: (9-5)

Projected to be in postseason

21. Washington: (7-7)

22. Houston Texans: (7-7)

23. Kansas City Chiefs: (9-5)

24. Minnesota Vikings: (9-5)

25. Seattle Seahawks: (9-5)

26. Pittsburgh Steelers: (9-5)

27. Green Bay Packers: (10-4)

28. Denver Broncos: (10-4)

29. Cincinnati Bengals: (11-3)

30. Arizona Cardinals: (12-2)

31. Pick vacated by New England Patriots (12-2)

32. Carolina Panthers (14-0)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am with Naz on this when I say, play our backups and plan on a 6-10 season leaving us getting a draft pick between 9 - 13. Play our starters and win both games and we end up drafting around 20-22. There is nothing to gain by winning the last two games except moral victories which won't even pay for a cup of coffee or a 12 oz draft.

I am rooting for the 5-win teams to win from here on to whet my football watching appetite...so that maybe we move up a notch or two on the draft order. Should be interesting draft next Spring as we most likely have a new coach and maybe even a new GM...who knows.

As far as making the playoffs and pulling off the most unlikely Super Bowl win in the history of mankind is a pipe dream. It's time to give our bench players some playing time and give the youngsters some field experience. We had our chance this season and with 6 games blown in the last seconds of the game, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Making the playoffs now would be like a pity-fuck, we don't need pity, we need a reawakening. I suspect there will be a ton of changes in the coaching staff this offseason.

I agree...but to add to the discussion...

If Redskins win on SATURDAY, then we'll be eliminated from playoffs before we play on SUNDAY. At the same time, watching Philly get another pointless win and drop in the draft order wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Either through free agency or the draft - or both - we need DEFENSE! Pass rushing DLs and LBs, specifically. Then find a safety who can play centerfield, allowing Collins to play his more natural SS position (and hope he'll develop into something better than this year showed). If we can generate any kind of pass rush and get a bonafide safety, you'll see the quality of our corners shine through. This year, they've been left out there with no support for just too long!

Offensively, we still need OL help. Not sure if Beatty will return. 2016 cap hit is 9.175M. If he's cut, dead money cap hit is 5M. Could be a June 1 cut. We'll need a RT and a Guard (not sold on Wagner to start but hopefully, he's quality depth) and another outside receiver (Randle is a big disappointment. I owe somebody here a dollar! Seph?). And I'll be damned but Will Tye just might be our TE!

if we finish 3rd in the NFC East ....the Giants are coming to London to play the Rams in all probability in 2016 ............it now looks quite likely to happen

Isn't that something. Here's the projected finish order of all the experts in the football media world as the season opened up:

1 - Dallas

2 - NY Giants

3 - Eagles

4 - Skins

Reality flipped on it's head:

1 - Skins

2 - Eagles

3 - NY Giants

4 - Dallas

if we finish 3rd in the NFC East ....the Giants are coming to London to play the Rams in all probability in 2016 ............it now looks quite likely to happen

For your sake - I hope it happens so that you can watch a game in person (assuming you haven't been to the states and already witnessed the Giants)

Dont worry Bleedin , i ve been to 7 Giants games in my life .........including this one !

SS100356.jpg

Wow...cool. I live in New York and have never been to a live Giants' game. Went to a few Bills' games when I was young and decided I didn't really like watching football from the seats. Bad views, no replays, unable to hear the refs making calls, and a couple of games I went to I froze my ass off. I enjoyed it, but I can see so much more from my warm living room and my beer doesn't cost 8.00 a cup and then have to go through a 2 hour wait to get out of the parking lot.

One of these days I'll go to a Giants' game. At least with the big screens you can see the replays or get a closer look at the action. I'm sure the atmosphere makes up for the inconvenience and high cost of beer.

I'm rooting for the Giants until they are eliminated. Once they are, I'm rooting for the highest draft pick possible. I'm still rooting fory Giants to win in that scenario, but I'm rooting for them to win the draft, and subsequently, next year's games, that matter.

I do think we are going to beat the Vikings, though, in their stadium, because that is the kind of game the Giants win. Whether or not OBJ plays or not.

I'm rooting for the Giants until they are eliminated. Once they are, I'm rooting for the highest draft pick possible. I'm still rooting fory Giants to win in that scenario, but I'm rooting for them to win the draft, and subsequently, next year's games, that matter.

I do think we are going to beat the Vikings, though, in their stadium, because that is the kind of game the Giants win. Whether or not OBJ plays or not.

The Skins and Eagles play Saturday night. If the Skins win, the Giants are already eliminated from the playoffs regardless of what they do the rest of the season. If the Eagles win, we are still a game behind them and would need to beat them in the last game of the season to tie for first (assuming the Skins lose the next two games). If the Skins win either of their last two games, we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

I almost hope the Skins win Saturday just to put me out of my misery for this season. These last second losses in games we should've won are more than my heart can take.

The Skins and Eagles play Saturday night. If the Skins win, the Giants are already eliminated from the playoffs regardless of what they do the rest of the season. If the Eagles win, we are still a game behind them and would need to beat them in the last game of the season to tie for first (assuming the Skins lose the next two games). If the Skins win either of their last two games, we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

I almost hope the Skins win Saturday just to put me out of my misery for this season. These last second losses in games we should've won are more than my heart can take.

I'm aware of that but A) the Skins are going to lose, and B) it really wasn't the point. Point is that even if the Giants are eliminated by Sunday, the Giants will still win and hurt their draft position because it's just what the Giants do.

You should always hope they win regardless of situation,plain and simple.

When it comes to the draft our gm should condense draft picks and move them up the board.moving up for collins looks like it is going to pay off for us.pats do this al the time.

i will come over in Jan ( big if ) we host a playoff game.........but the chances of that have diminished greatly since Sunday

( the last game i came to was when we beat Atlanta 24-2 in the Wild Card game in Jan 2012 ........that was sensational ! )

See you in 2017 uk

I'm aware of that but A) the Skins are going to lose, and B) it really wasn't the point. Point is that even if the Giants are eliminated by Sunday, the Giants will still win and hurt their draft position because it's just what the Giants do.

I laugh, not because it's really funny, but because of the absurdity of it all. You are so right. They seem to play to win (and do win), when they would be better off losing and giving the youngsters some field time to see what they got. The coaches and players seem to get together and say, "hey guys, if we win the next 2 games, we can draft at number 22 instead of 12".

IMO, you won't need to root against them anyway. they've been finding ways to lose without the fans downing them. like that big dog on his chain and he doesn't know when to stop.

I agree. I won't (can't really) root against my team. But it's a lot easier to swallow the impending loss when all hopes are already shattered. They don't really have a shot to make the playoffs...which can only happen if they win both final games and Washington loses both games - and even then, it's a tie for first with the skins. And if by some miracle we actually won the division, we would get eliminated in the first round of the playoff anyway and then the boys, eagles, and skins draft ahead of us breaking our hearts when the guy we all want gets snatched by a team in our division just ahead of our turn to pick. It's been a tough year for Giants' fans and time to look forward to next year.

I agree. I won't (can't really) root against my team. But it's a lot easier to swallow the impending loss when all hopes are already shattered. They don't really have a shot to make the playoffs...which can only happen if they win both final games and Washington loses both games - and even then, it's a tie for first with the skins. And if by some miracle we actually won the division, we would get eliminated in the first round of the playoff anyway and then the boys, eagles, and skins draft ahead of us breaking our hearts when the guy we all want gets snatched by a team in our division just ahead of our turn to pick. It's been a tough year for Giants' fans and time to look forward to next year.

I didn't think we'd do much this year anyway, but then they were showing flashes of being a decent team only to fold the next week. I need to get on some home projects that I can't finish because I spend all day Sunday watching football, lol

But like everyone else, I'll ride it out until we are out of it.

I think there's too much emphasis on draft position. There's not one player that will be sitting at 10 or 11 that will put us over the top. What we do throughout the entire draft is much more important.

I think that too, this team needs way more than a draft to get better, then we're not sure if there will be a coaching change to go with it.