SportsWrath

Odell Beckham JR playing tough

osi724dasack

Different era. In fact, a lot of these rules were put into place because of Hines Ward.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was the Hines Ward era... loved watching that guy play, but you have to play within the confines of the rules today, not from 2003.

true, just giving some perspective given the hyperbolic response. Its simply NOT true that what he did was all that far outside the bounds of what happens on the football field; I've seen the comment several times now that what he did never happened even in the 'good old days', and that's ridiculous because it wasn't even a penalty until 2012.

(Unless he was flagged for a late hit, not a high crackback, they weren't really clear on the call. But it was a high crackback, not a late hit.)

true, just giving some perspective given the hyperbolic response. Its simply NOT true that what he did was all that far outside the bounds of what happens on the football field; I've seen the comment several times now that what he did never happened even in the 'good old days', and that's ridiculous because it wasn't even a penalty until 2012.

(Unless he was flagged for a late hit, not a high crackback, they weren't really clear on the call. But it was a high crackback, not a late hit.)

Good point, it wasn't a late hit. Just an illegal hit. People seem to forget that, not just here but mostly amongst the nation.

It wasnt a crackback at all

It wasnt a crackback at all

Oh it absolutely was, to the letter of the rule. The rule says nothing about the blocker moving laterally across the field, the only criteria is that the blocker is aligned at least 2 yards outside the tackle box, and is moving towards the ball to make a block, which is exactly what happened here. Previously, only hits below the waist were penalized, but in 2012 the rule was expanded to include hits to the head and neck area. Prior to 2012 that wouldn't have been a penalty... at least, not unless they were calling it for a late hit, which I don't think it was.

They almost never call it a crackback anymore....these days its usually called a hit on a defenseless player. Crackbacks and peelbacks (which this looked more like, but I think only applies to linemen) fall under that header.

You could have called it a crackback or spearing (launching and leading with the helmet) or a blow to the head. Take your pick. Whatever you call it, it was over the line and doesn't belong in the game.

You could have called it a crackback or spearing (launching and leading with the helmet) or a blow to the head. Take your pick. Whatever you call it, it was over the line and doesn't belong in the game.

now there's a penalty that isn't called enough. I can't recall the last time I saw it called in the NFL.

Oh it absolutely was, to the letter of the rule. The rule says nothing about the blocker moving laterally across the field, the only criteria is that the blocker is aligned at least 2 yards outside the tackle box, and is moving towards the ball to make a block, which is exactly what happened here. Previously, only hits below the waist were penalized, but in 2012 the rule was expanded to include hits to the head and neck area. Prior to 2012 that wouldn't have been a penalty... at least, not unless they were calling it for a late hit, which I don't think it was.

They almost never call it a crackback anymore....these days its usually called a hit on a defenseless player. Crackbacks and peelbacks (which this looked more like, but I think only applies to linemen) fall under that header.

You are fucking kidding right?

He is 7 yards away from norman when vereen is tackled by 2 other players.

Norman is leaning on the safety as vereen is falling to the ground.

He then launches himself, feet off the ground helmet first in normans helmet. If you want to crackback on that play to help,its the 2 guys actually making the tackle you should go after, neither of which he did.

Furthermore,he then took out a panthers lineman by rolling into his ankles, guy had to come out.

Watch the play before determining that he obeying the rule to a tee. It was about as bad of a foul as you have seen this year.))

This.

Odell was an embarrassment on Sunday.

But still our best player.

Fuck he's one of the best players in the LEAGUE, let alone the team.

JR had any sense he'd throw a large contract at OBJ before he's shown the door so the next GM doesnt get lynched out of town when OBJ leaves for some other team for the $$$ and not wanting to play for a team in rebuild.

The thing is, I believe the kid can't be contained by any corner in the league no matter who. Which makes this bullshit all the more ridiculous. He beat Norman easily twice in that game, imagine what he could have done if his head had been in the game. Hopefully this shit doesn't happen again. I understand he's going to be targeted, but he knows this already. Best way to deal with it is score touchdowns.

The thing is, I believe the kid can't be contained by any corner in the league no matter who. Which makes this bullshit all the more ridiculous. He beat Norman easily twice in that game, imagine what he could have done if his head had been in the game. Hopefully this shit doesn't happen again. I understand he's going to be targeted, but he knows this already. Best way to deal with it is score touchdowns.

He shat on Sherman too. Nobody can touch him. Crazy thing is that he almost redeemed himself, not many athletes have the talent to do that after fucking up to the extent that he did

He shat on Sherman too. Nobody can touch him. Crazy thing is that he almost redeemed himself, not many athletes have the talent to do that after fucking up to the extent that he did

I think Odell is my generations LT, Giants are lucky to have this guy.

Why the fuck would Coughlin yell at Odell or get in his face?? Lmao any coach who confronts beckham is stupid, our whole team and staff are huge FANS of Odell like all of us. Think parcels got in Taylor's face? Doubt it, Harry Carson maybe but not the coach.

You let Odell do it. His team and partner in crime Eli have him in check for the most part. Just behind closed doors a little if any.

You are fucking kidding right?

He is 7 yards away from norman when vereen is tackled by 2 other players.

Norman is leaning on the safety as vereen is falling to the ground.

He then launches himself, feet off the ground helmet first in normans helmet. If you want to crackback on that play to help,its the 2 guys actually making the tackle you should go after, neither of which he did.

Furthermore,he then took out a panthers lineman by rolling into his ankles, guy had to come out.

Watch the play before determining that he obeying the rule to a tee. It was about as bad of a foul as you have seen this year.))

Yeah, that's how it looks if you watch it in slow motion. In live speed, its bang-bang.

I'm not saying its not a bad foul.... but its not even the worst one I saw this Sunday. (Cody Wallace of the Steelers picked somebody off the pile quite a bit later than this hit on Norman).

I think Odell is my generations LT, Giants are lucky to have this guy.

Why the fuck would Coughlin yell at Odell or get in his face?? Lmao any coach who confronts beckham is stupid, our whole team and staff are huge FANS of Odell like all of us. Think parcels got in Taylor's face? Doubt it, Harry Carson maybe but not the coach.

You let Odell do it. His team and partner in crime Eli have him in check for the most part. Just behind closed doors a little if any.

We'll i do think they need to try and establish who the boss is but I'm totally against trading him as long as he is producing at this level

So is Beckham appealing this suspension, or what? He should be; he is not a habitual offender. This isnt Suh we are talking about. It was deserving of a hefty fine and may be even as his first and second strike, but a suspension because of public outcy and because he "probably should have been ejected" is ridiculous.

The play happened in what? The third quarter? So what now he misses a whole game because the refs missed their chance to nip the situation in the bud? He would have only missed a little over a quarter of a game, from my recollection.

He was just pissed off because norman matadored him,after again beckham slapped him across helmet after the snap. Fact is slo mo just proved Beckham intent, you can see him looking at normans head.

LOL, people don't make decisions in slow motion. It was a reckless play, it deserved a flag, but its a hell of an accusation to say that he had some sort of 'intent', like we're talking about Jack Tatum or Albert Haynesworth.