SportsWrath

Odell Beckham JR playing tough

osi724dasack

I think ODB is smart enough to realize at this point that he fucked up. But someone does need to sit him down and ensure that he learns from it. Because he truly did burn up a lot of the good will he's built for himself. In one game, he went from beloved superstar to thug in the eyes of many. It's not so bad that he can't come back from it, but at the same time, his reaction to this past week will be crucial to how he's viewed going forward.

In my opinion, he should've spoken to the media and tipped his hat to Norman...admitted that the DB got into his head and his game was affected. State that he enjoyed the battle, the toughness, the game itself, and that it was a shame that it didn't end in the Giants favor. But above all, he should've take some serious time of his press conference to apologize for the headhunting plays that were clearly meant to injure. State outright in your press conference that you're going to set up a college account for Norman's kid or something (assuming he has one). Do something that means something to show remorse. Sure, the league may have still suspended ODB had he done all that, but letting the world know that you know you screwed up...admitting to your own faults...that's the mature way to move forward.

I think we're in for years of the Odell Show. we better brace ourselves for the long haul too. many of these players are out of control and the teams or the NFL don't seem to care if it brings in money.

He had 45 yards in penalties for personal fouls. He went over to the sidelines and berated the very players he was losing yards for for not caring enough. He had to be restrained numerous times because he was out of control. Saying it's not a big deal what he did yesterday is trying too hard to go against popular opinion. The league is up in arms on concussions right now and how are you going to feel next week when chances are he will be suspended. Running 10 yards aiming your helmet at a guys head would have been uproar in the good old days,let alone now,

Other than the helmet to helmet, I don't see the big fuckin' deal. And yeah, the helmet to helmet was fucked up, but we've all seen a lot worse. People are acting like he's Ndamukong Suh... In reality, most of the time it's Odell being cheapshotted all game long. Guy is standing up for himself, he'll take his suspension and fine, but he isn't going to allow himself to be targeted the way he has, and he's actually trying to dominate every game. Odell is the freaking man and I would say he needs to control his emotions a bit more, but people are way overreacting like he was the only one in the situation. Norman is playing victim card while he wasn't (and isn't) exactly a saint here.

Yeah, between the frustration of dropping that first ball, and the knowledge that the strategy on Beckham is to play dirty against him, I can see where and why he went off the rails. Not good.... but understandable.

Other than the helmet to helmet, I don't see the big fuckin' deal. And yeah, the helmet to helmet was fucked up, but we've all seen a lot worse. People are acting like he's Ndamukong Suh... In reality, most of the time it's Odell being cheapshotted all game long. Guy is standing up for himself, he'll take his suspension and fine, but he isn't going to allow himself to be targeted the way he has, and he's actually trying to dominate every game. Odell is the freaking man and I would say he needs to control his emotions a bit more, but people are way overreacting like he was the only one in the situation. Norman is playing victim card while he wasn't (and isn't) exactly a saint here.

Flawlessly said, couldn't have said it any better.

No, Odell crossed the line from physical and chippy (which the other guy was) to cheap, counter productive and immature -repeatedly! Three 15 yard flags and he could have had a few more.....and should have been thrown out. I'm sorry, that IS a big fucking deal. He showed this once before - in the Ram game when he was clearly targeted and didn't handle it well - and I hoped he'd learned from that but apparently not. Now he can be sure everybody will try to get into his head this way. Stay tuned.

the more I think about it.... that's fair.

His conduct had no place in the game, and given Beckham's status in the league they had to set an example.

In the NFL rulebook, it should say "You get suspended one game for acting like a bitch"

Yeah I'm good with the suspension and still think you guys are way overreacting.

Him being emotional on the sidelines is what happens in every football game every week. Again, the helmet to helmet targeting is over the line, and the penalties hurt, but the guy is the premier wide receiver in the NFL today, and I can live with some penalties as long as he's defending himself.

Yeah I'm good with the suspension and still think you guys are way overreacting.

Him being emotional on the sidelines is what happens in every football game every week. Again, the helmet to helmet targeting is over the line, and the penalties hurt, but the guy is the premier wide receiver in the NFL today, and I can live with some penalties as long as he's defending himself.

i agree- LT and Marshall used to consistently get a Roughing the Passer penalty in the 1st Quarter just to set the tone.

I read one of the Panthers bench players was waving a baseball bat at him in pregame warm ups. That might be a reason for his mental state. Someone points a bat at me before a game, when I have already spent much of the last year and a half taking late hits and questionable cheap shots, I'd be taking that as a threat and get amped to play extra physical.

Still no excuse for the helmet to helmet, but it does explain why his head was where it was at.

Under Nj state law a Panther player commited aggravated assault on Odell in pregame stretches with a baseball bat!

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYGDaily/status/679126741252706304/video/1

Uh, I think launching yourself at an unsuspecting player, aiming for his head, away from the play is aggravated assault. Not sure about pointing a bat.

What would you be saying if he broke Norman's neck? Not so cute then, is it?

Uh, I think launching yourself at an unsuspecting player, aiming for his head, away from the play is aggravated assault. Not sure about pointing a bat.

What would you be saying if he broke Norman's neck? Not so cute then, is it?

it wasn't away from the play, it was right at the ball carrier, who had just gone down. My first thought, when I saw the play live, was that it was a legal block. No whistle at that point, and it was a hit on a player trying to get in on a tackle. (This of course was before I saw that the hit was high and blindside, which is a penalty)

I mean, it was bad, it should have been flagged regardless of the circumstances, but we don't have to make it out worse than it really was.

Yeah, but that's nothing that Hines Ward didn't do at least once every game.

Different era. In fact, a lot of these rules were put into place because of Hines Ward.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was the Hines Ward era... loved watching that guy play, but you have to play within the confines of the rules today, not from 2003.