SportsWrath

We are not safe at all! Are the Giants brass being shitbrained?

Iceman_NYG

We cut Merriweather - who has not exactly been great but probably middle of the pack considering what we have at safety. So we are down to ONLY THREE Safeties in the active roster?? Collins is playing like a special child in passing situations. The other 2 would be on the practice squad in any other team in the NFL. What are the thinking?? We don't exactly have a Panthers type CB-LBs tandem where we can afford to be paper thin at safety. Is there something else or are WE sportswrathians retarded?

It seems like a strange move Ice ......but i suppose they needed the roster spot in order to sign Coefield (because we really needed a DT too ).

Maybe if we make the playoffs and Merriweather is healthy they will resign him ( because i cant see anyone else signing him right now can you ? )

Calculated risk perhaps ......but we are bloody thin at Safety

( where is Stevie Fucking Brown eh ? )

I was surprised by the move.. but I'd have to believe the FO and Coaching know a whole lot more than we do... I really hope we win this game coming up.. could be the catalyst for great things. Or we could be talk draft again.

I'm not a fan of Merriweather either, but why are we so thin at DT that we need to cut a S? And you can't cut an injured player, so Merriweather was neither hurt enough to IR nor good enough to take his place back from Cooper. I wouldn't be surprised to see them resign him next week.

Meriweather is good. Good at getting 15 yard penalties for illegal hits that is! Good at getting lost in coverage! Meriweather is an in-the-box safety with almost no deep cover skills. We have in-the-box safeties already on our team, with marginally better deep cover skills. Yes, both Dahl, Taylor, and Collins have better cover skills than Meriweather, which is a very low bar. That is why he was cut.

Meriweather is good. Good at getting 15 yard penalties for illegal hits that is! Good at getting lost in coverage! Meriweather is an in-the-box safety with almost no deep cover skills. We have in-the-box safeties already on our team, with marginally better deep cover skills. Yes, both Dahl, Taylor, and Collins have better cover skills than Meriweather, which is a very low bar. That is why he was cut.

And there is this too. He's unlikable.... AND he sucks.

It seems like a strange move Ice ......but i suppose they needed the roster spot in order to sign Coefield (because we really needed a DT too ).

Maybe if we make the playoffs and Merriweather is healthy they will resign him ( because i cant see anyone else signing him right now can you ? )

Calculated risk perhaps ......but we are bloody thin at Safety

( where is Stevie Fucking Brown eh ? )

didn't we just cut Moore? Thought there was an open roster spot.

Well, when Markus Kuhn is on your team, it's pretty much like not having a DT at all, so you have to sign two other guys to compensate.

Well you know if we cut Kuhn, Panthers would have picked him up and finally be ranked as the best defense to ever take the field.

Merriweather was serviceable and far from a liability this year. They had no idea what they even had in Cooper Taylor and I'm pretty sure they still don't so I don't think he was cut in favor of Taylor. The need for a DT was simply higher than the need for a 4th safety at this point. I don't think Merriweather was cut because any of our current safeties are any better than he is...but he is not a long term solution and the need for DT was greater. That and he is having a rough time getting healthy.

Merriweather was serviceable and far from a liability this year. They had no idea what they even had in Cooper Taylor and I'm pretty sure they still don't so I don't think he was cut in favor of Taylor. The need for a DT was simply higher than the need for a 4th safety at this point. I don't think Merriweather was cut because any of our current safeties are any better than he is...but he is not a long term solution and the need for DT was greater. That and he is having a rough time getting healthy.

This and Merriweather's play really fell off outside of that hot streak he had in September.