SportsWrath

Can we sit Williams now, please?

Treehugger

Personally I think we set a low bar at the position, and although we can live with the group we have, I'm hopeful that Reese can find a RB that has a bit more game changing ability. Vereen is our best real playmaker at the position but he isn't really a guy who sees a lot of early down work nor do I think he should. He's just not a between the tackles guy although he is very valuable in his role. I think the Giants need to get a young guy there with good speed but not a scat-back. Barry Sanders should be in this draft (seriously, his son).

But if you are talking about the need for a young player with talent than you can pretty much pick any position on this team and we need help there. Except maybe C and QB.

RB ain't gonna do you any good if your OL is not top notch... I think we're slowly building that position with 3 out of 5 players set.... need another draftee and a really solid FA pick up like MacKenzie.

Did Williams get another carry after that?

I felt a little bad for the guy, the look on his face as he came off the field said it all. He knew.... he knew that was the end. Or at least, it should be. He just hasn't produced like the other three backs.

And I'm a Jennings fan. Best vision we've had here since Tiki... very similar in their patience. I feel like he should get the majority of the carries, and he may only top out at 4.0 ypc, but with his consistency that is more than good enough.

Benched after the fumble. I do feel bad because he did look dejected but it's best player plays. This series I think encapsulates our frustration with the Giants play calling:

1. 1-15-NYG 5 (5:41) 23-R.Jennings up the middle to NYG 16 for 11 yards (20-R.Jones).
  2. 2-4-NYG 16 (5:09) 23-R.Jennings right guard to NYG 19 for 3 yards (20-R.Jones).
  3. 3-1-NYG 19 (4:40) 23-R.Jennings up the middle to NYG 20 for 1 yard (97-J.Phillips).
  4. 1-10-NYG 20 (3:59) 44-A.Williams left tackle to NYG 25 for 5 yards (24-Br.McCain).
  5. 2-5-NYG 25 (3:23) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on MIA-93-N.Suh, Defensive Offside, 4 yards, enforced at NYG 25 - No Play.
  6. 2-1-NYG 29 (3:06) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning FUMBLES (Aborted) at NYG 25, RECOVERED by MIA-20-R.Jones at NYG 34. 20-R.Jones to NYG 25 for 9 yards (86-J.Cunningham).

Jennings has a great run and they sit him. Why would Williams get another 2 carries after Jennings is running strong? :ermm:

I was amazed that Jennings could find holes in the line last night. The run blocking is awful, and drafting another RB won't help that. I haven't added up the stats but I bet Jenning would have been close to 100 yards last night if he didn't take all those hits in the backfield. He was fighting just to make it to the line of scrimmage on a lot of plays.

The main reason why Jennings should be getting the load is because he rarely has negative yards. If there is nothing he'll just smash himself into the pile and gain a yard.

Benched after the fumble. I do feel bad because he did look dejected but it's best player plays. This series I think encapsulates our frustration with the Giants play calling:

1. 1-15-NYG 5 (5:41) 23-R.Jennings up the middle to NYG 16 for 11 yards (20-R.Jones).
  2. 2-4-NYG 16 (5:09) 23-R.Jennings right guard to NYG 19 for 3 yards (20-R.Jones).
  3. 3-1-NYG 19 (4:40) 23-R.Jennings up the middle to NYG 20 for 1 yard (97-J.Phillips).
  4. 1-10-NYG 20 (3:59) 44-A.Williams left tackle to NYG 25 for 5 yards (24-Br.McCain).
  5. 2-5-NYG 25 (3:23) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on MIA-93-N.Suh, Defensive Offside, 4 yards, enforced at NYG 25 - No Play.
  6. 2-1-NYG 29 (3:06) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning FUMBLES (Aborted) at NYG 25, RECOVERED by MIA-20-R.Jones at NYG 34. 20-R.Jones to NYG 25 for 9 yards (86-J.Cunningham).

Jennings has a great run and they sit him. Why would Williams get another 2 carries after Jennings is running strong? :ermm:

The main reason why Jennings should be getting the load is because he rarely has negative yards. If there is nothing he'll just smash himself into the pile and gain a yard.

I remember that, and remember the beat writers on twitter saying Jennings asked to come out and was getting checked for injury.

I found the series of tweets:

Dan Graziano @DanGrazianoESPN 15h15 hours ago

Jennings running well, but appeared to ask out of the game after picking up that first down.

Jennings on the sideline, looks like he's trying to work out some kind of issue with his right leg.

Botched handoff, fumble, Dolphins recover. Giants can't win if they turn it over.

Idk brother.. I recall Jacobs tip toeing and not making it...

maybe towards the end of his career Nas yes ....but not for those years when we had O'hara , Snee , Seubert , Diehl , McKenzie etc .

( when BJ made that 4th and 1 inside the 2 minute warning at Glendale in the Superbowl ........we didnt even blink ......everyone was so sure that he would make it )

I remember that, and remember the beat writers on twitter saying Jennings asked to come out and was getting checked for injury.

I found the series of tweets:

Well...in that case McAdoo is slightly redeemed. Makes me wonder though why Vereen is getting almost nothing. Is he also injured?

Still want to see more out of the RB's. to this point the running game has been really weak. one game against the Dolphins doesn't mean it's fixed or even if Jennings is what we saw last night. Do it against the Panthers then it will be something.

Well...in that case McAdoo is slightly redeemed. Makes me wonder though why Vereen is getting almost nothing. Is he also injured?

The lack of touches for Vereen (only 2 last night!) is the most puzzling use of a prized FA signing I've ever seen.

RB ain't gonna do you any good if your OL is not top notch... I think we're slowly building that position with 3 out of 5 players set.... need another draftee and a really solid FA pick up like MacKenzie.

This may be true but that doesn't mean that we have good running backs, either. It just means we have talent deficiencies in both areas.

Remember Beatty is under contract for the next two seasons, yes he could be cut but I don't see that happening until after the 2016 season. So I could see him slide back into the LT spot (I know, and unpopular opinion), and Flowers to the right side. I want the Giants to draft a RT for the future (developmental tackle), to provide depth for if/when Beatty gets hurt again and Flowers goes back to the left side, but I would like the Giants to put a high priority draft pick on getting a mauling, agile Guard to play between Richburg and Flowers, that would really make it a dream to run behind to the right side.

But I don't think any of the RB's on the roster are the kind of player we are looking for to establish the power running game that would complement the kind of QB we have. Derrick Henry would be high on my radar should he be available in the 2nd round (and I don't expect that to happen).

The lack of touches for Vereen (only 2 last night!) is the most puzzling use of a prized FA signing I've ever seen.

Yeah, with the weak OLine you would think he'd get a lot of screens out of the backfield but nothing. Sometimes I forget he's on the team. Reading the 1998 thread makes me pine for those 21 yard TD throws to a RB (Barber).

Yeah, with the weak OLine you would think he'd get a lot of screens out of the backfield but nothing. Sometimes I forget he's on the team. Reading the 1998 thread makes me pine for those 21 yard TD throws to a RB (Barber).

They don't even run outside the tackles. Our previous years' best rushing attacks heavily featured power running plays but this season they're almost 100% inside runs.

Honestly the Giant's have THE best WR in the NFL at the moment.

Fucking amazing watching what he does week in and week out.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week. If the Panthers shut him down, well see if Eli can adjust or back to the 3 and outs.

I think the Panthers will bring pressure so there is no time for Eli to play pitch and catch with OBJ. This is why Vereen would be great this week if the Giants can remember he exists. Some quick dumps to slow the pass rush and Eli time for those big OBJ plays.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week. If the Panthers shut him down, well see if Eli can adjust or back to the 3 and outs.

The question isn't if Eli can make the adjustment, but of the other guys picking up the slack.

The question isn't if Eli can make the adjustment, but of the other guys picking up the slack.

True, there's not going to be any time to mess around this week. but maybe Harris will have a decent game. Randle and Nicks are just so so. I really don't expect them to win, but just play a good game and not the ugly head they show sometimes.

True, there's not going to be any time to mess around this week. but maybe Harris will have a decent game. Randle and Nicks are just so so. I really don't expect them to win, but just play a good game and not the ugly head they show sometimes.

I can't think of a single WR the Giants picked up midseason do anything more than take up a roster spot. Nicks might have been here a few years but it doesn't seem to help him get on the field. Not that when he is on the field he is making anyone forget Randle. Dwayne Harris has done a great job this season. He has been a dependable receiver, catches the ball and move the chains. I expect the Giants to win every week, trick is not to get angry when they fall short.

I can't think of a single WR the Giants picked up midseason do anything more than take up a roster spot. Nicks might have been here a few years but it doesn't seem to help him get on the field. Not that when he is on the field he is making anyone forget Randle. Dwayne Harris has done a great job this season. He has been a dependable receiver, catches the ball and move the chains. I expect the Giants to win every week, trick is not to get angry when they fall short.

Will Tye has brought some good plays too. but man, the clock is ticking on NY. the teams has some many issues, so I'm not going to be pissed when and if the time comes. just get these guys healed up and give it another go next year.