SportsWrath

Article: Evaluating the Tenure of New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese

Mr. P

Why would anyone fire Mac or Spags? They're far better than anyone we've had dating back to John Fox's days.. and... umm... Can't think of a really good OC the Giants have had.

Gilbride's offenses were good. But they got stale and adapted to.

What those two offenses - and any other, for that matter - have in common is, they all need a competent Offensive Line to function properly. That was especially true of Gilbride's, because the QB and receiver made reads at the top of the route, which takes longer to develop. That O also produced more big plays...and if the OL isn't exceptional, more sacks and more turnovers.

After the 2011 Superbowl win in which Eli Manning pulled every rabbit out of his ass that whole season, I mean seriously...the guy played like John Elway did the 80s when his Broncos were getting smoked in the Superbowls those years. It was basically Manning all on his own with a good core of wide outs. Looking back on it, what he did that season was nothing short of remarkable. No defense, no running game...just his right arm. The Giants as an organization tried to squeeze one more year out of an aging core of veterans on both sides of the ball and make a push. Ernie Accorsi built the team with strengths on the offensive and defensive line and Jerry Reese has yet to plug any of those holes yet, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously Flowers, Richburg and Pugh will be a good nucleus for years to come, assuming Pugh doesn't have to retire prematurely but Reese has really let the Giants team slide into decay.

yeah, IMO, Eli was the real MVP in 2011. He carried the Giants that season.

I think they let Reese stay and pick his own coach and give him time with that. Some draft picks seemed different than Coughlin type guys " athletic freaks" with low football IQ. Guys that you have to be patient with and develop. Coughlin likes the "lunch pail" types that come ready to play. Maybe the players were just bad picks, but benching a guy for making a mistake isn't teaching him anything. Free agents been bad, other then DRC and Ayers just a select few. Specifically on the Oline they've been a disaster Baas, Walton and Schwartz. I haven't been a big fan of Harris I know he was forced into the slot and they didn't have that role envisioned for him, but he's not good at returning either. I have why he field that punt Sunday that took him back into the endzone. For some reason Reese has completely ignored positions like TE(except ARob) we are stuck with guys like Donnell and Hill. He also let guys like Joseph inexpicable walk. I think the Mara's will give Reese another draft or two and different coach though before he's gone

None of Reese's athletic marvels have left the Giants to be successful anywhere else.

They're just bad players.