SportsWrath

Jasper Brinkley - highest rated LB per PFF in Week 9

JMFP

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/09/best-players-at-every-position-for-week-9/

Linebackers: Jasper Brinkley, Giants (+5.5) and Anthony Barr, Vikings (+4.2)

Barr has proven to be a key component in the Vikings’ defense, and his ability to do everything well is really driving the team on. Meanwhile, Brinkley is your classic thumper, and while he’ll never contribute massively in coverage, his ability to wreak havoc in the run game shouldn’t be underestimated.....

Yeah, he really sucked the week before, but he had a hell of a game against Tampa. Hopefully, he keeps it up as we are short again on linebackers.

I like Collins a lot, but they are playing him as a free safety when he is obviously a strong safety.

Yeah, he really sucked the week before, but he had a hell of a game against Tampa. Hopefully, he keeps it up as we are short again on linebackers.

I like Collins a lot, but they are playing him as a free safety when he is obviously a strong safety.

Agreed on both counts.

Merriweather makes plays and doesn't miss tackles. Collins is miles below Merriweather. I loved the inexplicable whiff on the attempt for an interception that led to a 68 yard reception.

I missed the first quarter because I thought the game was on at 4:30 for whatever reason. I just saw that, holy shit that was bad.

Collins has looked lost all season. Mainly due to injuries, he was thrown into the fire on day one and simply wasn't (isn't) ready. In a perfect world, he would have been spoon fed a little at a time, gradually increasing his responsibilities and playing time as he learned and developed. Unfortunately, we didn't have that luxury. Anyway, I just hope that's the case and not that he's a bust......because he's been bad. Real bad.

I've seen Collins break up at least three TD passes so far. I think you guys are focusing on the negative a bit too much.

This. The kid is a rookie... and yes he took a wrong angle on that 68 yard pass... but so what... beats the fuck out of sitting on Coughlin's bench for 3 years.

Collins has looked lost all season. Mainly due to injuries, he was thrown into the fire on day one and simply wasn't (isn't) ready. In a perfect world, he would have been spoon fed a little at a time, gradually increasing his responsibilities and playing time as he learned and developed. Unfortunately, we didn't have that luxury. Anyway, I just hope that's the case and not that he's a bust......because he's been bad. Real bad.

I disagree. He has been up and down. There were times when he played great and times when he looked like he should be selling hot dogs in the stands ... he will get better. He could be worse, he could be Demontre Moore.

Collins is built and ready to be a star NFL strong safety. But that's not where they are playing him and have made him play the free safety spot. To be a great free safety, he'd have to shed a lot of weight and muscle in order to be faster and quicker in order to keep up with the slightly built darting/speedy receivers.

As a strong safety being forced into the free safety position, he's done pretty well. He'll eventually be moved into the strong safety position and probably be a perennial pro-bowler. But since we don't have a legit free safety, he's been thrown into that position as a rook. Gotta give him credit for doing what he is told and putting it all out there on the field. He's not only learning a position he's never played....he's learning the position in the NFL as a rookie.

Cut the kid some slack...a lot of slack.

Merriweather makes plays and doesn't miss tackles.

Merriweather bounces off opponents every game. He's the worst tackler on the team behind ODB...actually that's too harsh on Odell, at least he wrapped up and eventually took the guy to the ground.

"

Defensive interior – nose: Linval Joseph, Vikings (+10.9)

About as good a 54 snaps as you’ll see from a one-tech. Joseph was a monster in the run game and added some pressures to the party as well."

and to think he was a Giant

He grades out as their #2 ranked interior defensive lineman this season.

I disagree. He has been up and down. There were times when he played great and times when he looked like he should be selling hot dogs in the stands ... he will get better. He could be worse, he could be Demontre Moore.

I must have missed those times when he's played great. But don't misunderstand me - I think he can be good, just has to develop.

Collins is built and ready to be a star NFL strong safety. But that's not where they are playing him and have made him play the free safety spot. To be a great free safety, he'd have to shed a lot of weight and muscle in order to be faster and quicker in order to keep up with the slightly built darting/speedy receivers.

As a strong safety being forced into the free safety position, he's done pretty well. He'll eventually be moved into the strong safety position and probably be a perennial pro-bowler. But since we don't have a legit free safety, he's been thrown into that position as a rook. Gotta give him credit for doing what he is told and putting it all out there on the field. He's not only learning a position he's never played....he's learning the position in the NFL as a rookie.

Cut the kid some slack...a lot of slack.

+1

I don't see it, he can't cover receivers, he can't cover tight ends, and he can't cover running backs. He can step into the box and make tackles, provided he takes the right angle. But that's it.