SportsWrath

Giants and JPP agree to deal

Mr. P

I think this is BIG BIG news for us.

1) It shows that JPP's recovery was better than most of us naysayers were thinking and that he is capable of playing competitive football in the NFL...this year itself. Compounding the fact that we have absolutely no pass rush at all, its a pretty symbiotic relationship since no other team was going to take a shot at JPP.

2) I think JPP has worked extra hard in the meantime to bring himself/keep himself to football ready shape. I really liked his post where he said he is thankful and that this has been a very humbling experience for him. I mean come on - he was just doing what millions of Americans do on 4th of July - lighting fireworks - it was his shitty fucking luck that it exploded in his hand. Its not like he raped someone or crashed his car in a DUI or some shit like that. It was very unfortunate for him and not something we guys should be holding against him as if he let everyone down on purpose.

3) He realizes he made a mistake and that things were unfortunate for him and he also realizes that the way things played out right after weren't to the best of everyone's interests - either that or the media completely blew the whole thing out of proportion. And he knows that the Giants will reward him and take care of him if he can bring his game to the field for the team that has stood by him all the while. I think if anyone then JPP would have the biggest chip on his shoulder and fire in his heart to perform and help this team on the D line.

His leaner form will give him quickness but just the fact that he is there on the line makes the OL guys keep one eye on him and that automatically might make the others on the line get better I hope.

I for one am ecstatic with his signing and I feel he is going to contribute big time this year. Maybe Im building castles in the clouds but hey, Im still happy.

I think this is BIG BIG news for us.

1) It shows that JPP's recovery was better than most of us naysayers were thinking and that he is capable of playing competitive football in the NFL...this year itself. Compounding the fact that we have absolutely no pass rush at all, its a pretty symbiotic relationship since no other team was going to take a shot at JPP.

2) I think JPP has worked extra hard in the meantime to bring himself/keep himself to football ready shape. I really liked his post where he said he is thankful and that this has been a very humbling experience for him. I mean come on - he was just doing what millions of Americans do on 4th of July - lighting fireworks - it was his shitty fucking luck that it exploded in his hand. Its not like he raped someone or crashed his car in a DUI or some shit like that. It was very unfortunate for him and not something we guys should be holding against him as if he let everyone down on purpose.

3) He realizes he made a mistake and that things were unfortunate for him and he also realizes that the way things played out right after weren't to the best of everyone's interests - either that or the media completely blew the whole thing out of proportion. And he knows that the Giants will reward him and take care of him if he can bring his game to the field for the team that has stood by him all the while. I think if anyone then JPP would have the biggest chip on his shoulder and fire in his heart to perform and help this team on the D line.

His leaner form will give him quickness but just the fact that he is there on the line makes the OL guys keep one eye on him and that automatically might make the others on the line get better I hope.

I for one am ecstatic with his signing and I feel he is going to contribute big time this year. Maybe Im building castles in the clouds but hey, Im still happy.

100% agreed, very well said.

+1

I'm curious to see Jpp at his lighter weight, he's incredible agile at his college weight and rookie year weight around 270 but seemed way stiffer then expected at 285-290, I swear when I saw him at training camp in 2011 he was 290-300 pounds. He was next to tuck and I saw them both and tuck looked amazing in shape, but was clearly atleast 25-30 pounds lighter and tuck was at minimum 265 when I saw him.

But I feel JPP and come in and really be a factor

Well, I was one who all along stated how surprised I'd be if JPP played again this year given what I've seen in my buddy's recovery from the same thing. I am pleasantly surprised that he's back on the team. If he can provide any kind of pass rush, even situational, it's a huge bonus to this team. The lighter weight is always a concern when it comes to holding the point on outside runs. The hand will come into play when it comes to shedding blocks and making tackles. I'm glad to see the Giants were smart with the incentive laden deal. I'm assuming the 1-year deal is still only for 2015 season...and doesn't carry over into the 2016 season at all. Can't really call it a 1-year deal...more like a 5 or 6 month deal, but it doesn't really matter. It'll be enough time to tell if he'll be the guy he once was or if he'll fade off into the sunset that many NFL players do.

When your best pass rusher is a 4 foot 3 inch full back ... it's a no brainer you need JPP with or without his finger

LMAO - unfortunately, it's true...although, he's more like 5'3". He does have a lot of spunk though. Big heart in a little body.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 6m6 minutes ago

Jason Pierre-Paul's contract w/ Giants includes $1.5m in base salary guaranteed, another $1.5m in per-game roster bonuses, source said.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 5m5 minutes ago

Pierre-Paul has playtime and sack incentives that can get him up to the remaining $8.7m he would've earned on the franchise tender.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 3m3 minutes ago

Full story coming on Pierre-Paul's contract. Bottom line: if he's active for seven games and hits no incentives, he gets $3m, FA in spring.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago

JPP gets $214K each game active (up to 7 G/max of $1.5M). Additional $100K/week for 45% of snaps (200K for 75%, 250K for 80%) - Max of $3.9M

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 56s56 seconds ago

JPP's sack bonuses kick in at 1/2 sack ($50K) and go up $50K/sack up to 9.5 sacks (worth $1M). Gets $864K trigger at 7.5 sacks...

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 36s36 seconds ago

If JPP gets 10 or more sacks he hits a trigger worth $7.2M minus whatever he earned in 46-man roster bonuses (that was a max of $1.5M)...

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 7m7 minutes ago

Critical element of JPP deal - NYG agree not to put him on NFI list, so contract can't toll. Otherwise may have had to play '16 on this deal

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 8m8 minutes ago

So now JPP is assured that come 2016, NYG either have to franchise him again, sign him long term or he becomes an unrestricted free agent