SportsWrath

Eli Manning Salary Details (Does Not Include Bonus); Now Have $14,127,537 in Cap Space

Mr. P

O'Hara was pretty good.

That maybe... but the point is teams don't really let good OLs walk.. there maybe an exception and the argument can be made that none of the available OLs was a good fit... I see we have 3 out of 5 starters who can be counted on for the future... one more this upcoming draft and a serious dip at FA and we're cooking.

Dwayne Harris - I don't think many disagree with signing him, but given the apparent interest, I think the argument is that we overpaid. I think having a ST ace is a good thing, especially one who both returns AND covers well. Again, maybe a little too expensive, but I can't bitch too much after his playing only one game.

It does appear in the details that the Giants could get out of the contract after 2017 without taking a hit, due primarily to a $5 million roster bonus in BOTH 2018 and 2019.

Cutting him after 2017 would appear to save 16 million (10.5 base salary, 5 roster bonus, 0.5 workout bonus). But, the prorated part of his signing bonus would advance, creating 12.4 in dead money. So we'd actually save 3.6 million in 2018 if we were to cut Eli. And of course, we'd save 17 million in 2019 in that scenario.

I only bring this up because the extension allows the Giants quite a bit of flexibility in the not too distant future.

Dwayne Harris 1) isn't making an enormous amount of money, and 2) is so much more than a returner. He's a plus coverage guy and he is an offensive weapon that is going to be very apparent to some of you sooner or later. He's going to have big games and I'm going to be here to say I told you so. He's a big asset.

I hope you're right but his average of 11 catches a year in Dallas is not promising.

Harris' deal: 5 years, $17.5 million, $7.1 guaranteed.

Jacoby Jones: 2 years, $5.5 million

Devin Hester - $3 years, $9 million

Ted Ginn, Jr - 2 years, $4.2 million

Harris brings more to the table than any of those guys, and we have him under contract for longer. I think it's not the albatross of a deal some of you suggest it is. We're talking $3.5 mil/year avg. Just watch, this guy is going to do big things.

And there's this: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-giants-dwayne-harris-091715

Giants WR Dwayne Harris could get more snaps in the slot
Dwayne-Harris-Giants-.vadapt.955.high.52
Tim Heitman / USA TODAY Sports
Sep 18, 2015 at 12:40a ET

In Week 1, the New York Giants missed wide receiver Victor Cruz, and it was quite obvious. Filing in for Cruz, slot receiver Preston Parker dropped three passes on key third down situations. After his disappointing performance, head coach Tom Coughlin is open to exploring other possibilities.

“We’ll see how practice goes this week," Coughlin said when asked if wide receiver Dwayne Harris had jumped Parker on the depth chart, per The New York Post. "Dwayne Harris will get more opportunities, but we’ll see.’

“Well, we certainly want to see the ball caught and not dropped."

When Harris signed a five-year, $17.9 million contract with the Giants this offseason, he claimed that the coaches planned to design special packages for him on offense. Harris saw two carries in the season opener, but he did see many more snaps in the slot. Keep an eye on him in Week 2 if Parker's struggles continue.

giphy.gif

Do you wonder if Harris and Amukamara are cool in that locker room?

giphy.gif

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Harris and it's not about his production or lack thereof offensively with the Cowboys that has me excited, it's more about the skills he has that I've observed and what I know he can bring to the table. Personally I think he should've been the slot guy while Cruz is getting back from the get-go, but of course the coaches know more than me so we'll see. But I'm more than confident that he's going to make a big impact on the Giants this season.

From everything I've read, I'm getting more anxious to see Geremy Davis in the lineup than I am Harris.

I've read about Randle and the tendenitis in his knees. I've also read that Davis catches everything thrown his way. I could see holding Davis back until Randle can't go...but I could very easily see Davis keeping that position into next season when Randle is facing free agency. Now, that's probably very premature given Davis hasn't been in a game and we don't know what we have in Cruz just yet given his injuries, but it's one of those things where you read that the rookie has impressed to the point where you have to question why he's not seeing play time.

From everything I've read, I'm getting more anxious to see Geremy Davis in the lineup than I am Harris.

I've read about Randle and the tendenitis in his knees. I've also read that Davis catches everything thrown his way. I could see holding Davis back until Randle can't go...but I could very easily see Davis keeping that position into next season when Randle is facing free agency. Now, that's probably very premature given Davis hasn't been in a game and we don't know what we have in Cruz just yet given his injuries, but it's one of those things where you read that the rookie has impressed to the point where you have to question why he's not seeing play time.

I agree with this, too... I think Geremy Davis is a real player. I love what I saw with him in the preseason when the play wasn't to him. He plays 100% no matter if he's getting the ball or not. And he has the hands and body type that he can be a physical nightmare for defenses. I hope we see him get some meaningful snaps soon.

My guess.. Teams don't let good OLs walk... we tried our luck with Schwartz.. how has that worked out for us? Shit aside from McKenzie, I can't think of an OL signing that was worth a damn... I mean shit.. we let Booth walk and he was adequate, certainly better than Schwartz... but what do I know...

All that says is we need to do a better job in free agency just like we need to do a better job in the draft. This free agency there were 3 top quality OGs on the market... Orlando Franklin, James Carpenter, and Mike Iupati... all of which went to new teams. Now had we actually made the move to bring one of them in our OL would be in really good shape (sans the Beatty injury).

All that says is we need to do a better job in free agency just like we need to do a better job in the draft. This free agency there were 3 top quality OGs on the market... Orlando Franklin, James Carpenter, and Mike Iupati... all of which went to new teams. Now had we actually made the move to bring one of them in our OL would be in really good shape (sans the Beatty injury).

That would have taken the Giants into a bidding war they likely couldn't afford. Mike Iupita had meniscus surgery during the preseason and might be back by week 3.

That would have taken the Giants into a bidding war they likely couldn't afford. Mike Iupita had meniscus surgery during the preseason and might be back by week 3.

Again... that's the biggest excuse we're expected to believe. I find it hard to believe that we really couldn't afford this... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/james-carpenter/

Reese needs to step his game up. And tbh as much of an Eli supporter as I am he isn't innocent in this either. His "see what the other qbs get first" mentality would've been all fine and good if our roster wasn't in the shape that it's in, but this deal should've been taken care of 7 months ago at the latest. That alone would've given us the flexibility to fill the holes prior to the draft.