SportsWrath

JPP also missing tip of thumb, had procedure on middle finger

Herc

I'm glad he helped our 30th ranked run defense not be 31st or 32nd.

Yeah exactly... imagine were we would've been without him. Ten other guys, man. Just because you have one of the top defensive ends against the run in the game doesn't mean your defense as a whole is going to be good... he can't do everyone else's job for them.

It is half the thumb: below the knuckle is all that remains.

Which as every pass rusher on the board knows he needs as well as the index finger to successfully sack a QB, tip a ball, strip a ball or even tackle!

Lets face it, even if he could do all of those things he still couldn't put that hand on the ground and balance himself; he would fall over and be guilty of neutral zone infraction every down he was out there.

:ermm:

It is half the thumb: below the knuckle is all that remains.

Which as every pass rusher on the board knows he needs as well as the index finger to successfully sack a QB, tip a ball, strip a ball or even tackle!

Lets face it, even if he could do all of those things he still couldn't put that hand on the ground and balance himself; he would fall over and be guilty of neutral zone infraction every down he was out there.

:ermm:

JPP= Just Pieces of Paul (I made that up!)

I'm not impressed by 240 5 or 6 times. And I was talking about the amount of time he couldn't lift because of open wounds healing on his hands. It takes a long time to get into the kind of shape a football player should be in and 2 full months of not training at that level takes a while to build back up to. Plus, let's see him dead lift with 3 fingers.

I'm not impressed by 240 5 or 6 times. And I was talking about the amount of time he couldn't lift because of open wounds healing on his hands. It takes a long time to get into the kind of shape a football player should be in and 2 full months of not training at that level takes a while to build back up to. Plus, let's see him dead lift with 3 fingers.

Yes, so I'm glad you could tell the intensity of his workout by a five second video.

The answer is, you don't know how many sets he did, what weight he was doing on other sets, how many reps he was doing before the video started... all we know is he's working out, he's lifting, and some people here and the other place said he couldn't and wouldn't be able to do that. He's lifting. That's good news. If I were a betting man, I would bet he'd be ready to go in a month or so when he's re-evaluated.

By the way, the backbone of JPP's game is built on speed and explosion (no pun intended). He didn't lose that with the fireworks accident. Strength is nice but remember at the combine he only put up 225 19 times, I believe it was.

There is nothing negative about this guy preparing himself physically to come back and help this team... I think he will, and I think he's going to be a great player again.

Until the nerve damage is completely repaired and he regains the strength and flexibility in his hand, I just don't see him on the field. It's not 100% about lifting and going through drills and getting into shape. It's about rebuilding the muscles, the tendons, the bones that make his hand work. It's good to see that he's making progress, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have a long way to go until that hand can be trusted the way it was prior. My piont is, that there is a significant rehabilitation process outside of getting into football shape.

I'd rather see a video of his face as they flex what's left of his hand or push him through gripping exercises. See how much pain there is there. Or better yet, hear from the doctors about how far his hand is from being as normal as it's ever going to be.

A small video or collection of videos is nice, and it does provide a somewhat reassuring and 'don't forget about me' message...but really, that's all it is until the doctors give him the green light...and it's the progress to that end, that would be telling. But we don't have that, and won't, until after week 6.