SportsWrath

JPP to return next week

UK-Giantsfan

Guaranteed money is guaranteed money by that team to the player in his contract, when a player is traded to another team the guaranteed money has to be paid up front by the team, which creates the whole "dead money" situation that teams find themselves in.

For example when Revis was traded from the Jets to Tampa Bay, the Jets still had to pay all his guaranteed money to him, something like 13 million, that counts against next years cap.

Carson Palmer was another example, when he was traded from the Raiders to the Cardinals, the Raiders had to eat up 10 million in dead money on the cap hit.

I understand the dead money thing...and I get how it applies to terminated contracts. But I was not so certain that it also applied to traded players. I was under the assumption that a traded player's contract goes with him...and the new team can rework the deal as they see fit. Of course, any guaranteed money from the original team would seemingly go against the salary cap of the original team, prorated and/or accelerated as usual depending upon dates of the year.

I suppose the question is, is the franchise tag contract fully guaranteed? Normal salaries are not...

Yeah, but I'd imagine his signing it will be contingent upon whether or not the Giants put him on the NFI list...or if they do, whether or not he'll still get paid because paying him becomes optional at that point for the Giants. So it's not just signing the FT...there's injury settlement clause type stuff that will likely become part of it all.

If I'm the Giants, he absolutely goes on NFI. He hasn't practiced or worked with the team all summer. He could be ready to go by week 6 but honestly, what's the rush? Save some money, teach the moron a lesson. Principles.

If I'm the Giants, he absolutely goes on NFI. He hasn't practiced or worked with the team all summer. He could be ready to go by week 6 but honestly, what's the rush? Save some money, teach the moron a lesson. Principles.

And if you're JPP, looking to get paid, you're not signing the tag in an attempt to gain some certainty that you won't get put on that list...or if you are...that you'll still get the full franchise tag amount.

Maybe it's just me...but I fail to see why players hate the tag so much. If it's fully guaranteed, and if it's the average of the top 5 in the league at your position...what's the problem? I understand long-term deals bring more guaranteed money, but what is so bad about hitting it big on a one year deal and then setting yourself up for a big contract next year? Sure, injuries play a role in the level of concern, but you could get injured at ANY point...not just this upcoming season...and instantly lose that future financial security just as quickly as you gained it.

an Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

#Giants have not rescinded JPPs franchise tag. Hell sign it when hes healthy & receive a prorated portion of $14.8M. Hes heading home

In other words, since he didn't get what he wanted, he wasn't going to stick around and prepare, he's just going home so that when he CAN play, he still won't be ready.

There is no way the Giants are going to sign this guy to a long-term deal. Unfortunate such a gifted player can be so hard-headed and characterless.

Ed Werder @Edwerderespn 22m22 minutes ago

Since 53-man rosters have been submitted, putting JPP on Non-Football Injury List would end his season. Now can't be activated after 6 games

Personally, I have pretty much written him off. I don't expect anything from him this year. Skin grafts can take months to fully heal, and even then, you are talking about people who suffered occupational injuries. Can't think of a worse location for a graft than on the hand of an NFL Defensive End. Unless that hand is fully healed it's going to be very risky having him out there without a hard cast, which means there would be extremely limited grip ability in his dominant hand. And every NFL OL will be looking to exploit that.

He had a dominant 2011, and was directly responsible for the Giants winning their 4th Super Bowl. If he never plays another down, he'll still be remembered as a very important Giants player. But since 2011, it's been two injury-marred seasons in 2012, and 2013, followed by a very uneven 2014.

I remember back in 2012, when his back was clearly bothering him....and he wasn't shut down....instead, he played at what looked like 75% of capacity, at most.

He should have gone on IR at the end of 2012 and had surgery....instead, he waits until June of 2013, right before camp, and has surgery, which again, pretty much fucked up his entire 2013 season.

Looking at 2014, it looks goods on paper, but I remember a defense that cratered, a DC who got fired, and a team that was out of the playoff hunt by Thanksgiving because they couldn't stop anyone when they absolutely needed to. JPP thrived on a string of cupcake opponents after the 2014 season no longer mattered.....I really wasn't impressed.

The whole thing sucks, and I feel bad for JPP, but at the same time, this entire situation was his own doing. If the Giants eventually decide to move on, I couldn't blame them.

Personally, I have pretty much written him off. I don't expect anything from him this year. Skin grafts can take months to fully heal, and even then, you are talking about people who suffered occupational injuries. Can't think of a worse location for a graft than on the hand of an NFL Defensive End. Unless that hand is fully healed it's going to be very risky having him out there without a hard cast, which means there would be extremely limited grip ability in his dominant hand. And every NFL OL will be looking to exploit that.

He had a dominant 2011, and was directly responsible for the Giants winning their 4th Super Bowl. If he never plays another down, he'll still be remembered as a very important Giants player. But since 2011, it's been two injury-marred seasons in 2012, and 2013, followed by a very uneven 2014.

I remember back in 2012, when his back was clearly bothering him....and he wasn't shut down....instead, he played at what looked like 75% of capacity, at most.

He should have gone on IR at the end of 2012 and had surgery....instead, he waits until June of 2013, right before camp, and has surgery, which again, pretty much fucked up his entire 2013 season.

Looking at 2014, it looks goods on paper, but I remember a defense that cratered, a DC who got fired, and a team that was out of the playoff hunt by Thanksgiving in large part they couldn't stop anyone when they absolutely needed to. JPP thrived on a string of cupcake opponents after the 2014 season no longer mattered.....I really wasn't impressed.

The whole thing sucks, and I feel bad for JPP, but at the same time, this entire situation was his own doing. If the Giants eventually decide to move on, I couldn't blame them.

Honestly, JPP was one of the best, if not the best run-stuffing DE in the league last year... but those aren't guys you give 14 mil to per season.

Looking at 2014, it looks goods on paper, but I remember a defense that cratered, a DC who got fired, and a team that was out of the playoff hunt by Thanksgiving in large part they couldn't stop anyone when they absolutely needed to. JPP thrived on a string of cupcake opponents after the 2014 season no longer mattered.....I really wasn't impressed.

Well said. I'm of the opinion that the Giants should rescind the tag at this point while offering up their medical rehab facilities for his use should he choose to use them.

I mentioned it in past threads regarding JPP's accident...I literally am good friends with a guy who went through the exact same thing. My friend lost his left thumb, shattered bones in his hand and wrist from a fireworks accident. It took him well over a year to START rehabbing. The first few months included multiple surgeries to clean out the wound, set what bones they could, insert pins (that extrude through the skin all Wolverine-style, but that are also connected to bone so tapping on the extruding pins causes extreme pain, skin grafts, and nerve repair).

In between and after the surgeries, he had to wear a compression glove to help force circulation to the damaged part of his hand. He had to go through gripping and flexibility exercises. Meanwhile, he has had to deal with the feeling that his thumb is still there.

For whatever it's worth, my friend very much worked/works with his hands, as does JPP. And that is what really cast a lot of doubts in my head that JPP would ever return to his previous form, and certainly not for the Giants. If my friend is any sort of measuring stick, JPP won't play at all this year. And after a year off, some up and down seasons, previous back surgery...I just don't see how you can pay the guy 14 million this year.

I'd very much like to see that 14 million get saved, rolled into next year's cap, and used towards resigning Eli. Between that 14 million and Eli's what, 17 million...you could theoretically give Eli a base salary next year of 31 million...and back it down from there towards the end of his contract...making signing free agents and transitioning to a new QB much easier. In other words, the availability of the 14 million makes frontloading Eli's final extension a distinct possibility.

I guess there's something to be said about a player's IQ.. or at lest lack of dumb-assery. First we had Plax and now this dumb ass.... I'd much rather draft/sign blue collar players with some resemblance of a brain...