SportsWrath

Preseason Week 2: Giants @ Jaguars

Treehugger

Jones should have Parker's roster spot by the start of the season.

Flowers looks like he's coming along.

Nassib might be trade bait for some team desperate for a QB.

Darkwa should be kept when *insert RB* gets hurt.

J.T. Thomas is a starter.

Vereen might end up being the Giant's MVP this year.

I am liking what I have seen from Nassib this game. There has been some ugly. But the good far outweighs the bad

Yeah I hear a lot of analysts and even people on here always saying that Nassib is no option to replace Eli, when Eli retires. They always talk like we would have to draft another qb after Mannin retires. Nassib has the skill and potential to start for this team... Eli might hang around too long for it to happen though.

We have to stop all this injury shit. So sick of it.

I hate to even voice this, but I think I have more confidence in the team with Nassib behind center, than Eli. I like Eli...heck, I love the guy. But he runs hot or cold, and seems cold more often that hot these days. Maybe by the real season, he'll start looking like the man who makes the money to be great.

Great games by Thomas, Harris, Flowers, O-diggy, Kenard, and Unga. Moore seems to be stepping it up.

Did anyone watch Bobby Hart closely? He's friggin huge....and he looks like he's the man that should be manning right tackle. I'm sure that's where he will end up by the end of the year.

Oh well - we have a few players left that aren't injured and they looked a little sharper than last week.

The Safeties on this team are dropping faster than Ron Dayne.

Alright after this season I'll contact the all team owners individually and see about having everyone playing in foam filled fat suits for next season.

So you have Beckham, Cruz, Randle, and Harris (unfortunately kind of stuck with him, now) as pretty much locks. I think you have to keep James Jones and Geremy Davis. Leaves guys like Corey Washington and Preston Parker as odd men out

I disagree on Jones. I think there is a fair chance he stays because of his familiarity with McAdoo's offense, but he's not going to contribute much on Specials, isn't likely to have much of a role on offense unless injuries force him in, and he's more expensive than Washington, who is a similar receiver. I think 2 of 3 out of Parker, Washington, and Jones will not make the team. And Washington has the ability to win that job.

We should totally cut Eli so Nassib can start.

A season ago Nassib was a waste of a roster space and we should of never drafted him.

Now we should let him have the keys to the franchise.

He'll be traded to the Jets by week six for a fourth round pick.

A season ago Nassib was a waste of a roster space and we should of never drafted him.

I've been as big a Nassib fan as there is. I'm a Syracuse fan and was pumped when we drafted him. But I want Eli to start for us until his arm falls off.

I've been as big a Nassib fan as there is. I'm a Syracuse fan and was pumped when we drafted him. But I want Eli to start for us until his arm falls off.

I feel the same way Eli is the Giant's QB until he's arm is a noodle, JR isnt going to be known as the GM who shipped the best Giant's QB out the door because he couldnt get a contract worked out, it's practically a death sentence.

I honestly feel like JR should be on a mad push to try and get Nassib out the door to another team, there's a number of QB starved teams and IF Nassib continues to have a good preseason try to get something of value for him, heck maybe even a quality O-lineman.

The front office is not going to let Nassib go for a 4th round pick. He's a valuable commodity and an NFL caliber QB. He's proving the pre-draft analysts right - that he was the best QB in the draft. But the Bills grabbed EJ Manuel (bust), the Jets grabbed Geno Smith (bust), Tampa Bay took Mike Glennon (not a complete bust, but not NFL caliber either), The Eagles took Mike Glennon (career record thus far - 4 interceptions, 0 TD's).

Nassib is poised, incredibly football smart, has a cannon for an arm, and studies the game like a med student preparing for brain surgery. He is a tremendous understudy of Eli and is soaking up everything he can in preparation for taking over the helm. But he's not content watching the game from the sidelines and he understands well that Eli is incredibly durable.

He might get traded, but not because the Giants don't need him. Nassib has been verbal lately that he wants to be a starting QB on an NFL team and though he accepts his role for now, he will jump ship as soon as the possibility lends itself. He will not be resigning with the Giants to be a backup QB for the next 6 or 7 years....nor should he.

Think how stupid the Bills, Jets, and Eagles must feel passing on Nassib for some splash in the pans. I think the Bills and Jets were so impressed with RG III, and Cam Newton that they thought any black QB in the draft was the way to go.

In the end - the Giants grabbed the best QB in the draft by a large margin. And other teams and scouts know that and are ready to pounce if the opportunity arises.

Worst case scenario: Giants trade Nassib to Eagles for a first round pick - then Eli gets hit like LT on Theismann.

Second worst case scenario: Giants trade Nassib to Jets for a first round pick - then Eli gets hit like LT on Theismann.

The front office is not going to let Nassib go for a 4th round pick. He's a valuable commodity and an NFL caliber QB. He's proving the pre-draft analysts right - that he was the best QB in the draft. But the Bills grabbed EJ Manuel (bust), the Jets grabbed Geno Smith (bust), Tampa Bay took Mike Glennon (not a complete bust, but not NFL caliber either), The Eagles took Mike Glennon (career record thus far - 4 interceptions, 0 TD's).

Nassib is poised, incredibly football smart, has a cannon for an arm, and studies the game like a med student preparing for brain surgery. He is a tremendous understudy of Eli and is soaking up everything he can in preparation for taking over the helm. But he's not content watching the game from the sidelines and he understands well that Eli is incredibly durable.

He might get traded, but not because the Giants don't need him. Nassib has been verbal lately that he wants to be a starting QB on an NFL team and though he accepts his role for now, he will jump ship as soon as the possibility lends itself. He will not be resigning with the Giants to be a backup QB for the next 6 or 7 years....nor should he.

Think how stupid the Bills, Jets, and Eagles must feel passing on Nassib for some splash in the pans. I think the Bills and Jets were so impressed with RG III, and Cam Newton that they thought any black QB in the draft was the way to go.

In the end - the Giants grabbed the best QB in the draft by a large margin. And other teams and scouts know that and are ready to pounce if the opportunity arises.

Worst case scenario: Giants trade Nassib to Eagles for a first round pick - then Eli gets hit like LT on Theismann.

Second worst case scenario: Giants trade Nassib to Jets for a first round pick - then Eli gets hit like LT on Theismann.

You're never and i mean never going to get a first round pick for Nassib, best case scenario is a third round pick a QB needy team or if a string of injuries hit a team and only if the GM is stupid enough to use a third round pick on a QB who's never even started a single game in the NFL, who isnt a rookie they can groom in their scheme.

Nassib hasnt even started a regular season game and he's suddenly the best QB out of the draft, keep in mind probably the weakest QB draft that anyone has seen in the last 10 years.

He's an unproven commodity that is exactly playing what is he, a backup QB for the Giant's.

If he wants to leave (and he should like you said) then fine by me, JR SHOULD trade him for something of value so he can go be the QB for the Rams.

You're never and i mean never going to get a first round pick for Nassib, best case scenario is a third round pick a QB needy team or if a string of injuries hit a team and only if the GM is stupid enough to use a third round pick on a QB who's never even started a single game in the NFL, who isnt a rookie they can groom in their scheme.

Nassib hasnt even started a regular season game and he's suddenly the best QB out of the draft, keep in mind probably the weakest QB draft that anyone has seen in the last 10 years.

He's an unproven commodity that is exactly playing what is he, a backup QB for the Giant's.

If he wants to leave (and he should like you said) then fine by me, JR SHOULD trade him for something of value so he can go be the QB for the Rams.

A couple of points.

NFL teams give up the ranch if they think they can get their hands on a decent QB to pilot their teams. Look what we gave up to get Eli. Look what the Eagles gave up last year just for the chance they could draft Mariota - "a QB who's never even started a single game in the NFL"

Without a solid QB, no team is going anywhere. It's by far, the most important position on a team. As a metaphor, if each part of a body was indicated by a position on a football team, the QB would be the brain.

Teams give up far more than a 1st round pick to get a QB they feel can lead their team to the promised land. Thinking that the only thing any team would give up for Nassib is a "3rd rounder" is literally nonsense.

Would you be happy to give Nassib to the Eagles for a future 3rd round pick? Because I'd bet you any amount of money that the Eagles would pop the cork on champagne if they could screw the Giants that easily.

You underestimate Nassib and for some reason seem to think he has the value of a backup linebacker or something. He's incredibly valuable where he is as an understudy of Eli. And if Eli does get hurt - and it's a possibility, for he isn't a god - we will be able to breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Nassib can pilot the team. Many teams don't even have a QB that would serve as a backup on a contending team. And there's no way for them to get one unless they throw games in order to get a high draft pick...and even then there are no guarantees.

So I missed the game last night, but here's what I gathered:

1. Eli and the passing game looked out of sync, and ODB was alligator-arming it (not that I blame him... it's preseason with two other starters injured).

2. More injuries at LB and Safety.

3. J.T. Thomas had a good game.

4. Nassib looked sharp.

5. The O-line kept everybody clean, and Pugh/Flowers in particular were impressive.

6. Still no running game.

The running game was good. They just decided to pass about 10 times out of the first 12 plays.

The question that will determine if I missed out:

Did the Giants run the legendary Mac-Adoodle third and long draw play? No game is complete without it, preseason or otherwise.

I actually do not recall any third and long draws. I remember a lot of 1st and 2nd down passes 30 yards down field, more so than draws. And Nassib rarely got the team in 3rd and long, he's pretty good at scrambling and making something out of nothing. I remember he got pressure on the edges, stepped up and picked up 2 or 3 yards on a 3rd down in JAX territory...ended up turning like a 56-57 yard field goal into a more manageable 53 yard field goal. Smart decision not to wait around for someone to get open and end up taking the sack.

And in response to some of the posts above, I will say this: Nassib is tailored and appears to be more comfortable to run McAdoo's style offense. Eli still looks uncomfortable with the short drops and quick throws. Last year, it took him a good portion of the season to begin to look comfortable, maybe it will be the same this year. But neither Eli nor any of his receivers were anywhere close to being on the same page. Nassib was consistently hitting Jones, Davis, Washington, and even Parker on quick slants and curls. He did it last year in preseason, too, but he still gets shitted on because he's the backup by some of you folks. If things work out, you could be looking at an Aaron Rodgers situation...where it took a long time to get the playing time, being behind a stalwart like Eli or Favre, learning a lot from them, and then coming in several years after being drafted to lead the team to a smooth transition.

A couple of points.

NFL teams give up the ranch if they think they can get their hands on a decent QB to pilot their teams. Look what we gave up to get Eli. Look what the Eagles gave up last year just for the chance they could draft Mariota - "a QB who's never even started a single game in the NFL"

Without a solid QB, no team is going anywhere. It's by far, the most important position on a team. As a metaphor, if each part of a body was indicated by a position on a football team, the QB would be the brain.

Teams give up far more than a 1st round pick to get a QB they feel can lead their team to the promised land. Thinking that the only thing any team would give up for Nassib is a "3rd rounder" is literally nonsense.

Would you be happy to give Nassib to the Eagles for a future 3rd round pick? Because I'd bet you any amount of money that the Eagles would pop the cork on champagne if they could screw the Giants that easily.

You underestimate Nassib and for some reason seem to think he has the value of a backup linebacker or something. He's incredibly valuable where he is as an understudy of Eli. And if Eli does get hurt - and it's a possibility, for he isn't a god - we will be able to breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Nassib can pilot the team. Many teams don't even have a QB that would serve as a backup on a contending team. And there's no way for them to get one unless they throw games in order to get a high draft pick...and even then there are no guarantees.

A QB is the most valuable position on the team is the only point I agree with you here, and teams are willing to get the QB THEY want, not a qb another team has as their career backup.

Nassib fell to the fourth round, if a team wanted him so bad they would of grabbed him in the first round by your logic since he "was the best QB in the draft by all the analysts"

You think that just because Nassib is tearing up the preseason teams are frothing at the mouth to trade for a 26 year old QB who has no starting game time. Why wouldn't they instead just draft someone that they would want instead? Someone they can groom and not have to send a pick to other team for. Why go for Jim Sorgi when you can draft a Andrew Luck, sure busts happen but what would then compile a team to trade a first round pick for a backup qb who has just the same potential to bust out in the league?

Nassib is insurance that the giants don't go 2-14 if Eli goes down for the season, but nassib has proven nothing to the nfl other than he can play well with backups.

No one and I repeat no one is "giving up the ranch" for Ryan Nassib, other than the giants who traded up to get him.

The question that will determine if I missed out:

Did the Giants run the legendary Mac-Adoodle third and long draw play? No game is complete without it, preseason or otherwise.

We did see a play as to why Vereen was signed however..... Then again he would have to be in there more often then just 3rd and 7 because everyone will know what is coming ,a clear out dump off.