SportsWrath

Giants offensive line already in midseason form.

Sephiroth

EAST RUTHERFORD ‐ Decked in full pads for the first time at training camp, this was supposed to be the Giants chance to show what they could really do. This was supposed to be the offensive line's opportunity to prove they are the bigger, nastier version to which they aspire.

Except when the Giants took the field Wednesday, it was without left tackle Ereck Flowers (hip flexor) and center Weston Richburg (knee tendinitis). It was with Will Beatty (torn pectoral) jogging on a side field. There were three of the originally projected Week 1 starters not practicing.

The Giants came out for their first padded practice with an offensive line consisting of (left to right) tackle Justin Pugh, guard Adam Gettis, center Dallas Reynolds, guard Geoff Schwartz and tackle Marshall Newhouse. Not exactly unexpected, they had their fair share of troubles.

Defensive end Robert Ayers burst through on one play. Rookie Owa Odighizuwa on another. Defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins was in the backfield to stuff a run later in practice. Defensive end George Selvie produced a pressure off the edge.

The Giants offensive line had their struggles, especially on passing plays. Here's some more bullshit if you want to read it.

bill-cowher-car-accident-gi.jpg

He's out with a "lingering foot injury."

Yep...

"Obviously, (he) wasn't doing well enough to stay out there for two days in a row," Coughlin said. "It looks like one of those things that's got to be managed. We hope to get him where he can practice hard a couple days a week, but we'll have to see how that goes."

What I get from this article, they are letting injured players rest and the rag tag O-line made up of mostly career backups is struggling against starting talent.

This is one of those non articles in the offseason.

which is the exact opposite of what a lot of people think coughlin does, which is force players to work injured and destroy their career.

See: Nicks, Hakeem, Pierre-Paul, Jason

What did Coughlin do to JPPs career? Couglin didnt force him to not elect for surgery until June and then play around with fireworks.

Also can someone explain this whole Nicks thing, how does Coughlin get the blame for a guy who has never been healthy his entire career and how does he prevent a Tampa player from landing on his foot?

see steve smith, who signed with the eagles because they deemed him ready to play for the season opener, while the giants would have kept him out until midseason:

UPDATE: The Giants team doctors don't think Smith will be ready until mid-season, while the Eagles doctors think he'll be ready for the opener, according to ESPN's John Clayton.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/800518-2011-nfl-free-agency-former-giants-wr-steve-smith-signs-with-the-eagles

and it's the team doctors, not coughlin, that decide if a player can participate. but lets blame coughlin.

remember this:

Smith's recovery took less than the four to six weeks predicted by Giants coach Tom Coughlin during the offseason.

"I didn't know what coach Coughlin was talking about," Smith told the newspaper. "I expected to be ready, if not all the way, at least to participate. I did quite a bit in practice. (Thursday), we pushed it a lot. I did everything. It felt good."

What did Coughlin do to JPPs career? Couglin didnt force him to not elect for surgery until June and then play around with fireworks.

Also can someone explain this whole Nicks thing, how does Coughlin get the blame for a guy who has never been healthy his entire career and how does he prevent a Tampa player from landing on his foot?

If memory serves me correctly, JPP (stupidly) elected to have back surgery right before training camp, but most said he wouldn't be ready to start in September. Despite having high round draft picks on the roster like Kiwanuka, Tuck, and Moore (as well as players like Cullen Jenkins that can fill in if necessary) Coughlin elected to start an ineffective JPP for the whole season. He had two sacks and 20 tackles.... literally any DE could have gotten the team that type of production.

Nicks was a top-5 receiver that was playing on a sore foot in 2012 in Tampa that got stepped on, aggravating the injury. He wanted a big payday, so he played through the pain despite the team once again having several capable and high-round-pick backups. He finished with 692 yards and was never the same player again... and the Giants rewarded his toughness by letting him hit the free agent market.

Coughlin has a track record of this... Tony Brackens, Boselli, etc. He's happy to run players into the ground in the name of "toughness." If the O-line injuries are minor then I'm glad he's finally letting his players get some recuperation time but you also have to ask why with the new CBA so many players are being injured in the first place.

If memory serves me correctly, JPP (stupidly) elected to have back surgery right before training camp, but most said he wouldn't be ready to start in September. Despite having high round draft picks on the roster like Kiwanuka, Tuck, and Moore (as well as players like Cullen Jenkins that can fill in if necessary) Coughlin elected to start an ineffective JPP for the whole season. He had two sacks and 20 tackles.... literally any DE could have gotten the team that type of production.

Nicks was a top-5 receiver that was playing on a sore foot in 2012 in Tampa that got stepped on, aggravating the injury. He wanted a big payday, so he played through the pain despite the team once again having several capable and high-round-pick backups. He finished with 692 yards and was never the same player again... and the Giants rewarded his toughness by letting him hit the free agent market.

Coughlin has a track record of this... Tony Brackens, Boselli, etc. He's happy to run players into the ground in the name of "toughness." If the O-line injuries are minor then I'm glad he's finally letting his players get some recuperation time but you also have to ask why with the new CBA so many players are being injured in the first place.

So you're telling me the "all star" players of the team who are suppose to carry the team, who the owners want out there to sell jerseys/tickets, are themselves electing to play injured/cut it close on recovery time, but yet it's Coughlin who is running them into the ground?

How was Boselli run into the ground? He finished his career with the Jags with two full healthy seasons before he had to retire in Houston.

So you're telling me the "all star" players of the team who are suppose to carry the team, who the owners want out there to sell jerseys/tickets, are themselves electing to play injured/cut it close on recovery time, but yet it's Coughlin who is running them into the ground?

How was Boselli run into the ground? He finished his career with the Jags with two full healthy seasons before he had to retire in Houston.

I think if the coach says "you're healthy enough to play" the correct response is "ok" whether you actually feel that way or not. Keep in mind these are kids in their early twenties that might not have the gall to tell coach they're not "tough" enough to play that weekend.

This old time mother fucker running people in the ground and forcing/telling them to play through injuries.

Coughlin: JPP will return to team when he feels ready
  • By Mark E. Ortega NFL.com
  • Published: Aug. 8, 2015 at 06:21 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 8, 2015 at 06:50 p.m.

New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Saturday he finally spoke to star defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

The two had a "good conversation" on Friday according to Coughlin, who also said Pierre-Paul wouldn't return to the team until he's healthy enough to get on the field.

"He's looking forward to coming," Coughlin said. "He's anxious to be here. But he's not going to come until he feels like he's ready to be able to play."

The news comes a day after Giants defensive line coach Robert Nunn said he exchanged texts with Pierre-Paul, who said he'd be back.

JPP is still recovering from injuries to both of his hands he sustained on the Fourth of July in a fireworks accident. He had his right index finger amputated as a result of the accident, which could lead to JPP being ready to return sooner than he otherwise would have.

When asked when the team could expect to see their star pass-rusher return to the team, Coughlin had no timetable.

"It could be whatever amount of time," Coughlin said. "I'm not even going to speculate."

Regardless of how long it is until he's back on the field, some progress was made between the player and his team at the start of the weekend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000507888/article/coughlin-jpp-will-return-to-team-when-he-feels-ready

I sure wish Coughlin would stop telling players that they have to play regardless of how the player feels.

I think if the coach says "you're healthy enough to play" the correct response is "ok" whether you actually feel that way or not. Keep in mind these are kids in their early twenties that might not have the gall to tell coach they're not "tough" enough to play that weekend.

I think the correct response is "Have the team doctors cleared me to play?"

Which is what I assume is the determining factor if someone plays, unless a team wants to be sued by the NFLPA.

Well, players want to play, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is not wanting a backup to come in and play exceptionally well. I think the new cba is a little more strict regarding player health and giving team doctors more power, but coaches still have influence. Football players are expected to be tough.

***Warning, high school football reference coming***

I don't know how many times I was asked "are you hurt or are you injured" by coaches. One time I broke my ring finger, went to the team doctor/trainer and he said it was not broken, probably just sprain. That night my mom took me to the er and they found it was broken. Showed up to practice the next day with a finger brace or whatever and my coach said I should have went to the team doctor because he understands that there is a difference between football players and the general public. I was covertly pressured to "play through the pain", dropped by finger brace on the practice field and went at it.

Now, I was no star player, no big recruit, no key factor to the team, just a so-so DT. Imagine the same mindset combined with the millions of dollars, jobs on the line, etc.

Does Coughlin run all injured players into the ground, not really, but the Giants do suffer more injuuries than other teams and it seems those players often find themselves back on the field before they are fully healed to the detriment of their play.

Well, players want to play, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is not wanting a backup to come in and play exceptionally well. I think the new cba is a little more strict regarding player health and giving team doctors more power, but coaches still have influence. Football players are expected to be tough.

***Warning, high school football reference coming***

I don't know how many times I was asked "are you hurt or are you injured" by coaches. One time I broke my ring finger, went to the team doctor/trainer and he said it was not broken, probably just sprain. That night my mom took me to the er and they found it was broken. Showed up to practice the next day with a finger brace or whatever and my coach said I should have went to the team doctor because he understands that there is a difference between football players and the general public. I was covertly pressured to "play through the pain", dropped by finger brace on the practice field and went at it.

Now, I was no star player, no big recruit, no key factor to the team, just a so-so DT. Imagine the same mindset combined with the millions of dollars, jobs on the line, etc.

Does Coughlin run all injured players into the ground, not really, but the Giants do suffer more injuuries than other teams and it seems those players often find themselves back on the field before they are fully healed to the detriment of their play.

Yep.

Let's not forget that Donovan McBad played a game on a broken leg after team doctors had cleared him, or for a more recent example, Chris Borland played a game when he was concussed last year.