SportsWrath

Best Giants GM (1980s - Present)

JMFP

Best Giants GM (recent history)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who among these GMs did the best job during their tenure?

• George Young
    • Ernie Accorsi
    • Jerry Reese

Gut... I am torn ya know my abiding Hatred of The Prostitute... a phony yet winning coach... And you are quite right he is a starter and not a finisher. B & H... Brown and Handley have scarred me for life. To take the nucleus of good team and have it desecrated by their ineptness... makes me scream ...no bay at the Moon at night. Yes The Prostitute with his two months before the season starts... my health can't take anymore... no Prostitute it was more like you couldn't share the credit with the guy who didn't fire you after you initial season of horribleness... didn't he go 1 and 15 or was it 3 and 13... both suck beyond all belief. He was the one to say to the owners... give him a chance...he will right the ship. Prostitute is very good about protecting his brand...not by coincidence he has not won it all since severing ties with the Prince of Darkness... the Other Bill... :P

3-12-1, with the tie being against the Cardinals. That game was so bad neither team deserved a win.

To be fair, by the time Brown took over, that team was already done--Taylor had retired, Banks was ancient, and most of the starters were already well into or past their prime. Right about there picks like Khanavis McGhee started taking their toll. So while you'll never hear me say a good thing about Brown, he wasn't completely the cause of the shitty play we saw. And he was still better than Pisacik, Golsteyn, and Randy Dean.

Handley? The Ego quit after the draft, so all the name coaches were gone. Bellicek was already committed, so whatever Young thought about him is pretty irrelevant. Coughlin already left for BC (imagine him taking over for Parcells!). Handley wasn't an unreasonable choice on paper--he just sucked in the real world. And Young did right in the situation: cut him some slack his first year, canned his sorry ass the second.

Again, he failed the 3rd rebuild, but those first two were gold standards as far as I'm concerned.

3-12-1, with the tie being against the Cardinals. That game was so bad neither team deserved a win.

To be fair, by the time Brown took over, that team was already done--Taylor had retired, Banks was ancient, and most of the starters were already well into or past their prime. Right about there picks like Khanavis McGhee started taking their toll. So while you'll never hear me say a good thing about Brown, he wasn't completely the cause of the shitty play we saw. And he was still better than Pisacik, Golsteyn, and Randy Dean.

Handley? The Ego quit after the draft, so all the name coaches were gone. Bellicek was already committed, so whatever Young thought about him is pretty irrelevant. Coughlin already left for BC (imagine him taking over for Parcells!). Handley wasn't an unreasonable choice on paper--he just sucked in the real world. And Young did right in the situation: cut him some slack his first year, canned his sorry ass the second.

Again, he failed the 3rd rebuild, but those first two were gold standards as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah the famous Blackout Game... when the lights kept shutting down in half of Giants Stadium... :D I actually watched that game. But can you imagine how Gifford felt having to listen to Cosell's bullshit about the disgrace to football... Cosell that classic homer... whose lips were so tight on Stealer and Broke Back cock it wasn't funny. :D

True... The Prostitute totally fucked us that year... its one reason why I lost all love for him. When he resurrected in Patsie Land is when I started to call him the Living Whore that he is... But Brown should never have been selected... Gut... he literally sucked. And worse by measure is that he thought he was good... :P

Gut... I am torn ya know my abiding Hatred of The Prostitute... a phony yet winning coach... And you are quite right he is a starter and not a finisher. B & H... Brown and Handley have scarred me for life. To take the nucleus of good team and have it desecrated by their ineptness... makes me scream ...no bay at the Moon at night. Yes The Prostitute with his two months before the season starts... my health can't take anymore... no Prostitute it was more like you couldn't share the credit with the guy who didn't fire you after you initial season of horribleness... didn't he go 1 and 15 or was it 3 and 13... both suck beyond all belief. He was the one to say to the owners... give him a chance...he will right the ship. Prostitute is very good about protecting his brand...not by coincidence he has not won it all since severing ties with the Prince of Darkness... the Other Bill... :P

I'm having a déjà vu

The ownership of the Giants has historically been abysmall in making football decisions.

Tim was good, the original but after him, they are all suck asses.

The Giants got Young FORCED on them. They didnt like to give up any power to a GM and wanted to make all the decisions. Its why Lombardi left, Why landry left, why Parcells left, and why Belechick had no desire to coach for the Giants. Hence Ray Handley. They got rid of Hostetler in favor of an aging Simms, then dumped Simms because he was too old.

They had won two super bowls, the stadium was sold out for 20 years, why did they need to spend money on players? They didnt, like the Kncks they can suck balls and the NY fans will still spend their cash.

The NFL said, look your in the major market, you need to put a football team out on the field and since you milktoast trust fund babies couldnt field a pop warner team, the NFL needs you to have a team people will spend money on. Its NY after all and its where all the fools goto part with their money.

The ownership of the Giants has historically been abysmall in making football decisions.

Tim was good, the original but after him, they are all suck asses.

The Giants got Young FORCED on them. They didnt like to give up any power to a GM and wanted to make all the decisions. Its why Lombardi left, Why landry left, why Parcells left, and why Belechick had no desire to coach for the Giants. Hence Ray Handley. They got rid of Hostetler in favor of an aging Simms, then dumped Simms because he was too old.

They had won two super bowls, the stadium was sold out for 20 years, why did they need to spend money on players? They didnt, like the Kncks they can suck balls and the NY fans will still spend their cash.

The NFL said, look your in the major market, you need to put a football team out on the field and since you milktoast trust fund babies couldnt field a pop warner team, the NFL needs you to have a team people will spend money on. Its NY after all and its where all the fools goto part with their money.

? a little revisionist history but most of those things kinda happened.

True... The Prostitute totally fucked us that year... its one reason why I lost all love for him. When he resurrected in Patsie Land is when I started to call him the Living Whore that he is... But Brown should never have been selected... Gut... he literally sucked. And worse by measure is that he thought he was good... :P

Like I said, I'm not an apologist for Brown--if you're waiting for me to justify the pick, you might want to get yourself a copy of War and Peace to occupy your time. I'm just saying that he only had Hampton around him, an aging offensive line, and an ancient defense that was still living on past glories. That team was shot, and no amount of denial is going to excuse Young for that.

Nonetheless, Young has 2 superbowls that are unquestionably the result of his work, and that's more than could be said for the other two.

LOL, I totally forgot that Brown also had a raging ego...what a jackass.

a little revisionist history but most of those things kinda happened.

it was a little scattered and not really in any historical order,

but yes, Giants ownership are comeplete idiots an the NFL needed a real team in NY that wasnt the Jets.

they forced a GM on them.

Parcells left because he was disgusted, not because of health issues, belechik left before anyone could even ask him.

Lombardi left becuase the Maras didnt like Italians, and Landry just had too much class for NY.

it was a little scattered and not really in any historical order,

but yes, Giants ownership are comeplete idiots an the NFL needed a real team in NY that wasnt the Jets.

they forced a GM on them.

Parcells left because he was disgusted, not because of health issues, belechik left before anyone could even ask him.

Lombardi left becuase the Maras didnt like Italians, and Landry just had too much class for NY.

lol

Like I said, I'm not an apologist for Brown--if you're waiting for me to justify the pick, you might want to get yourself a copy of War and Peace to occupy your time. I'm just saying that he only had Hampton around him, an aging offensive line, and an ancient defense that was still living on past glories. That team was shot, and no amount of denial is going to excuse Young for that.

Nonetheless, Young has 2 superbowls that are unquestionably the result of his work, and that's more than could be said for the other two.

LOL, I totally forgot that Brown also had a raging ego...what a jackass.

Yep... now if he had an ego like Pisarcik or Goldsteyn... remember them... of course you do Gut... now if he had a personality like those two sacks of shit... no one would be raging on him. Kid thought he was Johnny Unitas... Worst thing to happen to him was winning those first two games of his career...one against the 69'ers.

Yeah the famous Blackout Game... when the lights kept shutting down in half of Giants Stadium... :D I actually watched that game. But can you imagine how Gifford felt having to listen to Cosell's bullshit about the disgrace to football... Cosell that classic homer... whose lips were so tight on Stealer and Broke Back cock it wasn't funny. :D

Oh, man, you have my pity--I saw that shit-show, too. Both teams managed to blow field goals in OT, and at a certain point, I just wanted the embarrassment to end, and didn't care who won. Considering how die-hard I was at the time, that says a lot.

Yep... now if he had an ego like Pisarcik or Goldsteyn... remember them... of course you do Gut... now if he had a personality like those two sacks of shit... no one would be raging on him. Kid thought he was Johnny Unitas... Worst thing to happen to him was winning those first two games of his career...one against the 69'ers.

Nonsense-- I still pick on "Dandy" Randy Dean, and I don't think he even had a quote in a paper. I still think he was the worst QB to start for an NFL team, ever.

Man, those were some dark years......from 1964 to 1980, in those 17 years, we finished over 500 exactly twice and did not make a playoff appearance. In nine of those years, we had 10 losses or more. Think about that. I was 13 in 1964 and lemmie tell you, that was a rough introduction to being a Giant fan.

And that's exactly why I can only shake my head at some around here who want to commit hari kari and/or nuke the entire roster and organization after 6-10 and 7-9 - the first losing seasons in nine years! And those eight seasons in between included four double digit win seasons, five playoff appearances and oh yeah, two Super Bowls. I don't know if they would have made it through the 60s and 70s.

Man, those were some dark years......from 1964 to 1980, in those 17 years, we finished over 500 exactly twice and did not make a playoff appearance. In nine of those years, we had 10 losses or more. Think about that. I was 13 in 1964 and lemmie tell you, that was a rough introduction to being a Giant fan.

And that's exactly why I can only shake my head at some around here who want to commit hari kari and/or nuke the entire roster and organization after 6-10 and 7-9 - the first losing seasons in nine years! And those eight seasons in between included four double digit win seasons, five playoff appearances and oh yeah, two Super Bowls. I don't know if they would have made it through the 60s and 70s.

This...