SportsWrath

It's La'el Collins turn to fall - girlfriend murdered last night

BleedinBlue

Mayock is a smart man, but how does he know that no one would take a chance on him? I would put money on it that some team would. But still, if a team does take a shot at him, he'd better be cleaner than my ex-girlfriends pussy that was smooth as a baby's ass and smelled like a flower garden.

If he is 100% innocent here - then that is a horrible shame. Terrible timing.

Could be worse, a team could win the no. 1 draft pick in the NBA lottery for the first time in a quarter century, grab the best damn player to come out of college in years and pick up the morning paper to find out that he died of a drug overdose celebrating during the after draft party..........man, that was sad. Len Bias, we barely knew ye

Mayock is a smart man, but how does he know that no one would take a chance on him? I would put money on it that some team would. But still, if a team does take a shot at him, he'd better be cleaner than my ex-girlfriends pussy that was smooth as a baby's ass and smelled like a flower garden.

Could be worse, a team could win the no. 1 draft pick in the NBA lottery for the first time in a quarter century, grab the best damn player to come out of college in years and pick up the morning paper to find out that he died of a drug overdose celebrating during the after draft party..........man, that was sad. Len Bias, we barely knew ye

I think it's probably an ownership thing.

Face it the NFL has been fucking the dog the last few years with it's public relations. If it isnt a player killing someone, its another beating his kid of his wife, and the NFL has handled most of these situations almost as bad as anyone could handle it.

Not to mention there's still a bad taste in everyone mouth over the player/owner negations, and all the scandals going on inside the game i.e. deflate gate, crowd noise.

I imagine the NFL has basically just told every team that if it looks like it will cause anything negative to your team or the league, dont go near it with a 10 foot pole.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/lael-collins-draft-stock-in-question-after-ex-girlfriends-murder/

Authorities want to question Collins, but he's in Chicago for the draft. His girlfriend that he broke up with in September was pregnant. She was shot and killed, but medics saved the baby.

His stock will probably fall even though he probably had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Still - timing couldn't be worse.

Whoa....Lebowski just turned radioactive.

Welcome to the Ravens in the 4th.

[edit] Sorry bout that, Len Bias was the 2nd pick in the draft, not the first.

Not necessarily... if a team drafts him, he can demand to get paid like a 1st rounder... or hold out.

He can demand to get paid like a 1st rounder only if he's drafted in the 1st round.

There is a rookie pay scale. What rookies get paid is determined by where they are drafted.

The best thing that could ever happen to this guy, is that the police make an arrest tonight, of someone he never knew and the guy confesses and explains why he did it.

If he's completely innocent - this is simply a travesty. On the other hand, if he has anything whatsoever to do with it, he deserves it. I actually feel for the guy.

The best thing that could ever happen to this guy, is that the police make an arrest tonight, of someone he never knew and the guy confesses and explains why he did it.

If he's completely innocent - this is simply a travesty. On the other hand, if he has anything whatsoever to do with it, he deserves it. I actually feel for the guy.

I don't see how it's a travesty.

The guy is obviously going to play in the NFL and if he's good enough, he'll be making more money than he'll ever need in his life.

It's just he might not be making 2 million a year for his first few years, only like 750k per year.

What a travesty lol.

If he is responsible at all for the murder though fuck him and everything about him.

My bet is he wasnt involved....but like Dizz said...after Hernadez...guys that run with thugs are going to get dinged....and your ex girlfriend getting whacked...is a sign of thugs.

C. Wagon

Yep, and in my opinion, it'd be standard police operating procedure to consider the possibility of a hit. It seems negligent to immediately write him off as a suspect simply because of distance.

In reality, the dude is set to get a big payday and he'd be a complete idiot to have her killed now, but still, money can buy a lot of things...even a bullet.

I don't see how it's a travesty.

The guy is obviously going to play in the NFL and if he's good enough, he'll be making more money than he'll ever need in his life.

It's just he might not be making 2 million a year for his first few years, only like 750k per year.

What a travesty lol.

If he is responsible at all for the murder though fuck him and everything about him.

Still, this guy has dedicated his entire life to this moment. To have the rug pulled out from under you when you're about to be rewarded, and this is provided he is innocent, is pretty tragic.

Still, this guy has dedicated his entire life to this moment. To have the rug pulled out from under you when you're about to be rewarded, and this is provided he is innocent, is pretty tragic.

He's worked his entire life to play in the NFL and he will.

Was he even going to the draft in Chicago? He misses one night albeit over a tragic incident but he'll still be playing in the NFL.

He's worked his entire life to play in the NFL and he will.

Was he even going to the draft in Chicago? He misses one night albeit over a tragic incident but he'll still be playing in the NFL.

Imagine if someone else's crime cost you millions of dollars....you don't have to feel sorry for him with what he's making, that's a different story, depending on how you feel about athletes and their pay.

He can demand to get paid like a 1st rounder only if he's drafted in the 1st round.

There is a rookie pay scale. What rookies get paid is determined by where they are drafted.

you are correct. I guess what I was getting at though is if he's cleared then a team shouldn't use the scale and can pay him more since it's a special circumstance... of course I'm not sure if it's allowed either.

Another option for him could be to sign in Canada, where he'd probably make more money if teams really aren't going to draft him (though admittedly, I am not well-versed in any current pay scales, CBAs in the CFL) and come back to the league after he loses the rookie designation. I believe this is what Raghib Ismail did and he made bank....different circumstances, admittedly (they offered him a whole shit load of money...more than the NFL had seen). I'm not sure how you actually lose the rookie designation, either, do you have to be on an NFL roster for a year?

Imagine if someone else's crime cost you millions of dollars....you don't have to feel sorry for him with what he's making, that's a different story, depending on how you feel about athletes and their pay.

I see your point but I just feel like you're getting paid atleast 500K a year to play in the NFL, he's going to demand a decent contract because of his 1st round talent.

He's a grown man playing a child's game. I understand this was supposed to be a memorable night for him, something he's been looking forward to but shit happens.

It's life, a young woman's life was taken and it needs to be accounted for. So he doesnt retire a multi-millionaire and has a disappointing few weeks in his life.

He still gets to be paid millions for playing a game at the end of the day.

Yeah, typically UDFA's guaranteed money is pretty paltry. I think they have to have $1.44 million over 3 years in the contract for all rookies per the CBA. However, guys that are UDFA's are getting amounts like $10k as signing bonuses and $30k guaranteed, many times much less guaranteed money than that. Michael Cox was a 7th rounder and received a 4 year $2.21 million deal with a $45,896 signing bonus. I'm sure the guaranteed money didn't make him rich.

Every expectation is that La'el Collins would get more money than the typical UDFA if he were to go undrafted. And with his talent, he should still become a millionaire. But the advantage that guys that go in the first round is they are millionaires the second the ink is dry on their contract.

Look at Ryan Shazier... the 15th pick in last year's draft for the Steelers. I'm picking him because I would've expected Collins to go somewhere in this part of the first round. Shazier got $9 million guaranteed (!), including a $5.23 million signing bonus.

Giants signed Kerry Wynn as a UDFA for 3 years at $1.53 million, with base salaries of $420k, $510k, and $600k. That means all the money is in the deal, NO signing bonus, and no information is out there on how much was guaranteed, if any. So what happens if Collins doesn't get drafted and suffers a career threatening injury his rookie year, and he is on that UDFA contract? He is SCREWED. Time to go be an assistant high school football coach or something.

One guy is set for life. One guy isn't. This matters huge and I for one, feel bad for the guy if he had nothing to do with this. In my mock I won't have him as a first rounder even though that's what he should be. I still think he gets drafted, though at some point.

Part of me is saying, "take a chance Reese - maybe a 4th or 5th". It'd be the steal of the draft if he's completely cleared. Probably why I'm not the general manager! LOL

Fifth round I do it without thinking. How many 5th rounders turn out to be nothing more than practice squad fodder? Hell, fourth round it's very much on the table.

Fuck, I was thinking 2nd.

You're all wrong... wrong :angry:

3rd round is where it should be. :rules:

Question is, would La'el Collins have legal recourse against the guy who killed his ex-girlfriend? I think it's plain to see now that the first round is over, that his draft stock has plummeted. He was a clear cut first rounder. Given the rookie wage scale, a fair value of loss should be able to be estimated.

Again, it'd all take time to shake out after the investigation is over. But once the murder is solved, would Collins have legal recourse or is this one of those situations where he is just screwed? I mean, I don't think it'd be too difficult to prove that his loss of wages was due to the murder of an ex-girlfriend.