SportsWrath

Scherf at 9??

osi724dasack

He's not just a fly route guy, he's really good in space.

His speed will be a huge factor at the next level. I didn't know who he was when they played us (FSU). Cooper is still my top choice, but if we end up taking him I wouldn't be mad. I'm hoping for...

1. Amari Cooper (WR)

2. Denzel Perryman (ILB)

3. Ali Marpet (OG)

4. Durrell Eskridge (S

Takes care of all immediate needs. Everything else would be icing.

The Ellis signing really takes a ton of pressure off us needing to draft another DT. Doesn't mean we won't tho if it's bpa. Ellis was a Great signing.

Would any of you take Gregory at 9? Marijuana issues and all?

Idk but if he is still there at 40 I DEF take the risk on him.

"With the 9th pick in the 1st round of the 2015 NFL Draft, the New York Giants pick: ______________"

I will be happy with any pick that isn't a QB, RB/FB, kicker/punter, or long snapper....as long as it's the best player on the board that fits our scheme.

Scherf is a solid, safe pick who would anchor the O-Line for the next decade. Collins might have more upside, but they are pretty evenly matched, but I think Collins would make a better tackle than Scherf. Peat is also an excellent lineman, strong as an ox in his legs - not so much on the upper body. I don't consider him a top 10 pick, but he's certainly a 1st round type of guy. His 2 legs look like oak trees and pushing him out of the way would be like pushing a bulldozer uphill. Too bad his upper body didn't match his lower body - he'd be the human version of the Hulk.

A lot of fans are screaming to go after a top shelf WR, but this draft is loaded with great WR depth so I don't see the Giants going there. I think they can get a WR after the 2nd round that is probably better than Randle. And if we were to grab a top shelf WR, that would mean less throws to Cruz and OBJ, which I'm not so sure is a good idea. We want those 2 guys to be the leaders in the air game. And having Shane Vereen on the team now, and a decent pass catching TE, our two studs should be able to get freed up.

I would be very happy with the Giants trading down and picking up an extra early pick (if possible), or snagging one of the 2 top O-linemen, Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, or Trae Waynes. I would be deliriously happy if we got any one of those guys and lucked out and picked up Owamagbe Odighizuwa in the second round (unless we already picked up Fowler of course).

To me - the excitement in the draft will happen from the 2nd round on.

Regardless, the first round is going to be anti-climactic in my opinion. But to answer the question posed at the beginning of this thread, if we take Scherf, I'll be happy. It's not a flashy / sexy pick like last years OBJ, but he'd be very solid for years to come and one less worry about our O-line.

Going

1. Scherff(The more I think about it, having 3/5ths of the line be 25 and under sounds great)

2. Dorsett(I'm more concerned at WR with Cruz, moreso than Randle)

3. Derron Smith FS Fresno St(Ballhawking S can start from day one)

4. Tyler Kroft TE Rutgers (I am still not in love with our TE's. Kroft was underutilized at Rutgers and played under a different OC all four years there )

5. Xavier Williams DT UNI

English please :)

1-technique vs. 0-technique I believe....has to do with where the player lines up. So typically, a NT is a 0-technique, lining up over the center whereas a 1-technique lines up over the G.

I could be off on that, but I think that's the idea.

1-technique vs. 0-technique I believe....has to do with where the player lines up. So typically, a NT is a 0-technique, lining up over the center whereas a 1-technique lines up over the G.

Close, a 1 technique will line up in the "A" gap directly between the center and guard.

A two technique lines up directly helmet to helmet with the guard.

Easy way to remember is an odd number means the DT is in a gap, even number he's lined up directly with someone.

A true NT is mostly going to line up directly across from the center, or an 0 technique. A 1-Tech lines up across from the A gap (between Center and Guard. A 2 tech is going to line up directly across from the Guard, and so on, until you have the 5-tech, lining up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle. All even numbers line up directly opposite a lineman, all odd numbers indicate lining up over the gap. Personally I think people really put too much stock in it.

In Shelton's case, he could line up anywhere between 0 and 2 tech, IMO, and maybe even 3-tech, depending on the situation and the rest of the D-line formation (although I wouldn't have him there). Doesn't mean he can't play that, though, just means it doesn't make a lot of sense for a man his size, who you want to stop the run inside, to play that far away from the Center, which would theoretically be leaving an A-gap susceptible to the run.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but our current DTs are this...??

Hankins 0-2 tech

Ellis 0-2 tech

Bromley 2-3 tech

And JPP could be considered a 5 tech or even a 3 tech at times even tho he's a DE?

I would think you are mostly correct, although Bromley is probably more 1-3 tech, you likely wouldn't ever have him directly over the C, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but our current DTs are this...??

Hankins 0-2 tech

Ellis 0-2 tech

Bromley 2-3 tech

And JPP could be considered a 5 tech or even a 3 tech at times even tho he's a DE?

Usually when people refer to technique it's in reference to a DT since they will primarily line up in that position a majority of the snaps.

A DE is shifted around and depending on what side of the line he plays on, it's why when the Eagles were running that "9 wide" defense, the DEs were considered "9 techniques" since both of them usually just lined up on the outside of the tackles.

You might not ever line up a DT over the center in a 4-3 or Spags scheme, he wants to let the DTs open up the gaps by pushing the guards out away from the center.

Guess college ball give me something other than a broken ankle and a concussion.

Edit: I see now BIC has responded as well... I thought that NT lines up directly across from the center (ass up sexy pose kindda) but the DT lines up in the A Gap.

Close, a 1 technique will line up in the "A" gap directly between the center and guard.

A two technique lines up directly helmet to helmet with the guard.

Easy way to remember is an odd number means the DT is in a gap, even number he's lined up directly with someone.

Wouldn't the 6T mean lined up against a WR? :D

I would think you are mostly correct, although Bromley is probably more 1-3 tech, you likely wouldn't ever have him directly over the C, though.

Yep. Bromley is going to be our "shoot the gap" guy. What you said about Shelton is why I wouldn't put him at 0T. He doesn't two gap well enough despite his size

Edit: I see now BIC has responded as well... I thought that NT lines up directly across from the center (ass up sexy pose kindda) but the DT lines up in the A Gap.

All NT's are DT's. When they are lined up over OC, they are playing the NT position at that time, but they are still DT's. At least that's the way I look at it.

Wouldn't the 6T mean lined up against a WR? :D

No. :) If you have a TE on the line, then you have a 6-tech (across the TE), a 7-tech, on the outside shoulder of the TE which could also be considered the 9-tech, for whatever reason... but you would be on the outside of the TE... here's a handy chart / article:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/3/7/5482102/football-101-defensive-line-gap-techniques

Yep. Bromley is going to be our "shoot the gap" guy. What you said about Shelton is why I wouldn't put him at 0T. He doesn't two gap well enough despite his size

I just think that the team that values him most will be a 3-4 team, and view him as projectable to play the NT at some point. I also think a 3-4 team might want to put him at DE and play the 2-tech/3-tech early in his career as well, if he doesn't play at the NT. Personally, I think he can play NT. I just don't he's as good a prospect as other recent prospects like Dontari Poe. It doesn't mean I think he can't play at DT in a 4-3 or would necessarily be a bad fit. I just think a 3-4 team might value him more than a 4-3 team and hence, draft him earlier than what he would go for a 4-3 team.

The more I see of him, the less I like him. I think he's been overvalued in this draft by most pundits, and I no longer see him as a value at 9 at all.

I just think that the team that values him most will be a 3-4 team, and view him as projectable to play the NT at some point. I also think a 3-4 team might want to put him at DE and play the 2-tech/3-tech early in his career as well, if he doesn't play at the NT. Personally, I think he can play NT. I just don't he's as good a prospect as other recent prospects like Dontari Poe. It doesn't mean I think he can't play at DT in a 4-3 or would necessarily be a bad fit. I just think a 3-4 team might value him more than a 4-3 team and hence, draft him earlier than what he would go for a 4-3 team.

The more I see of him, the less I like him. I think he's been overvalued in this draft by most pundits, and I no longer see him as a value at 9 at all.

Agreed. I suppose you watched him vs. Grasu of Oregon. Despite his size he gives up tons of leverage because he tries to penetrate instead of occupying blockers. I actually became a bigger fan of Shaq Thompson watching Shelton

In 07 we played the afc east, drafted a cb round 1, won the super bowl

In 2011 (4 years later) we played the afc east, drafted a cb round 1 and won the super bowl

Well, now it's 4 years later and we play the afc east again. Should we draft CB round 1 Trae Waynes and win the super bowl again?

In 2011 (4 years later) we played the afc east, drafted a cb round 1 and won the super bowl

Well, now it's 4 years later and we play the afc east again. Should we draft CB round 1 Trae Waynes and win the super bowl again?

I don't love Waynes. The only CB I would take that high is Marcus Peters and the Giants won't touch his character

Correlation does not equal causation. I think Waynes is out for #9 overall.