SportsWrath

Congratulations Ben McAdoo

fishgutmartyr

Offense is ranked 10th total yards; 13th in total points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG

Still a lot of work to do, and there's some consistency issues; but that is quite a job with the crap he's had to work with.

Not ready to put him on a pedestal, but credit where it's due.

Defense, you ask? The usual.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG

Growing pains obviously, for himself and the players. The emergence of Beckham really saved his ass, and if Cruz can come back and be an effective slot than he will just have more weapons to play with.

He now has a full season of game planning and calling plays under his belt, hope he continues to improve as I'm sure there are still some more growing pains ahead.

Now the Giants just need to find a McAdoo for the defense.

i was as big of a gilbride detractor as any but i think it's hard to judge the offense from last year to this year as improved due to the coach when we had such an obvious x-factor (beckham) this season

You mean the 17 step drops Eli stopped taking this year don't give you a hint?

How about this:

• How many games did ODB miss this year?
  • How many interceptions did Eli have in those games?
  • How many interceptions did Eli have at the same point last year?
  • Could we contend Gilbride had Cruz and Nicks at some point too?
  • Fuck Fewel.

i'm not saying we'd do the same thing with gilbride, nas. i don't like the guy at all and i probably shat on him more than anybody on this board. i'm just trying to be fair when assessing whether changing to mcadoo is the biggest reason why we flipped it around. i took a lot of credit away from gilbride for 2011 in saying that nicks and cruz turned a lot of short passes into long touchdowns and it wouldn't be fair of me to not factor beckham into the mcadoo equation either

i'm not saying we'd do the same thing with gilbride, nas. i don't like the guy at all and i probably shat on him more than anybody on this board. i'm just trying to be fair when assessing whether changing to mcadoo is the biggest reason why we flipped it around. i took a lot of credit away from gilbride for 2011 in saying that nicks and cruz turned a lot of short passes into long touchdowns and it wouldn't be fair of me to not factor beckham into the mcadoo equation either

I understand your point and there are things that are hard to quantify over a short period of time such as one year for McAdoo... I recall the "offense is broken"... and I think our O is far better this year than last.

I can respect that.

Truth be told, though, so long as the offense improves, I couldn't give a shit how it happens. If it was fact that having a human sacrifice of Gilbride to the football gods would improve the offense, I'd hand the knife to the priest.

i was as big of a gilbride detractor as any but i think it's hard to judge the offense from last year to this year as improved due to the coach when we had such an obvious x-factor (beckham) this season

This is the way I feel too. I think McAdoo did well overall, but if I'm not mistaken the offense was a bottom-third unit until Beckham came along.

Lots of scoreless second halves too, but with McAdoo at least you feel like there's room for improvement. With Gilly you knew he was sticking to his ways whether you liked it or not.

This is the way I feel too. I think McAdoo did well overall, but if I'm not mistaken the offense was a bottom-third unit until Beckham came along.

Lots of scoreless second halves too, but with McAdoo at least you feel like there's room for improvement. With Gilly you knew he was sticking to his ways whether you liked it or not.

In the offensive ruts that we did have, how many times did we constantly see this Oline line just get pushed back 2-3 yards, ball carriers dropped behind the line of scrimmage, quarterback under duress even from just 3 to 4 d-lineman at times, and lately Captain Holding Penalty William Beatty.

Everything begins and ends with the offensive line. Guys like Walton and Jerry are sub-par. Richburg is either out of position or not ready yet, Pugh has been only okay, and Beatty is average. Collectively these five are disgustingly atrocious. Schwartz will certainly be an improvement but that's not enough.

If you ask me where the priority free agent money and draft picks go, it's to the offensive line. We need to bring in at least two solid veteran offensive lineman, and supplement that with at least one draft pick, better to have two.

If you look at the rest of the offensive positions, there's not much more that you're really worried about. OL OL OL damnit!!!

This is the way I feel too. I think McAdoo did well overall, but if I'm not mistaken the offense was a bottom-third unit until Beckham came along

Imagine that, a bottom third offense with Rueben Randle and Preston Parker starting at wide receiver along with no running game to speak of.

Give the guy healthy players and this will be a top 10 offense for as long as we have Eli Manning.

Offense is ranked 10th total yards; 13th in total points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG

Still a lot of work to do, and there's some consistency issues; but that is quite a job with the crap he's had to work with.

Not ready to put him on a pedestal, but credit where it's due.

Defense, you ask? The usual.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG

McAdoo in his rookie season did as well as anyone could reasonably expect given the roster and injuries.

Alot of heaving lifting has been completed, and you have to think next year that his offense will be even better.

As far as the defense goes, it's clearly time for a change. I have to think that both Reese and Mara will recommend a new DC, and that Coughlin will reach out to get Spags back.

McAdoo in his rookie season did as well as anyone could reasonably expect given the roster and injuries.

Alot of heaving lifting has been completed, and you have to think next year that his offense will be even better.

As far as the defense goes, it's clearly time for a change. I have to think that both Reese and Mara will recommend a new DC, and that Coughlin will reach out to get Spags back.

And he'd have something to prove. I like that.

Imagine that, a bottom third offense with Rueben Randle and Preston Parker starting at wide receiver along with no running game to speak of.

Give the guy healthy players and this will be a top 10 offense for as long as we have Eli Manning.

To be fair, he DID have Cruz but I read somewhere yesterday that Cruz had a 20% drop rate this year. Ugh.

Beckham's drop rate? 2%

*Cough* *Cough*... Gilfuck anyone... or the more P.C. Saint Gilbride of Giants Land... :whistling:

I think he deserves a pat on the back for this season. Improved the performance of our franchise QB and amazingly managed to perform as well with the same problems on offense as our former 20+year offensive coordinator veteran. Now McAdoo managed to statistically improve the offense and we can put most of that on Odell Beckham Jr. with people wondering if Gilbride could have done just as well if not better with a talent like that last year. I leave the pondering of that possibility to the What If machine. Nobody cares about What if and all that matters is what has been done.

The offense struggled early on in both the running and passing and steadily improved to the point it has been for three seasons, lack of a running game and an offense reliant entirely on passing the ball. Ben McAdoo is getting the offense running on the right path to get even better in 2015. Need more help on the offensive line specifically at Center and Right Guard.

Maybe JD Walton is rusty and can be better but why wait and see if he can be after next season? Keep him on the roster. Weston Richburg did well and could do better if he gets bigger, because he struggled and lacked the power required from a center. Weston Richburg is either going to get bigger and stronger or turn into the technique center that we had in Sean O'Hara.

John Jerry was as advertised, a talented underperforming starting guard. He came to NY and continued to be a talented underperforming starting guard. We still need a guard playing up to their talent and John Jerry isn't the answer, and that answer is not on the roster. We should get another guard in free agency similar to Schwartz simply because we need more experience on a very young offensive line.

If we fix the offensive line, we have a running game and we can give a powerhouse WR core and an inexperienced TE playmaker a chance to exploit any defense.

To be fair, he DID have Cruz but I read somewhere yesterday that Cruz had a 20% drop rate this year. Ugh.

Beckham's drop rate? 2%

That's true, sorry I forgot that Cruz was even a factor this season. He sure didn't seem like one even when he was healthy. That's a big reason why I think wide receiver is still a top need going into the offseason. I still think we should focus on getting McAdoo the weapons he needs and I still think that at 9th, we have a shot at a guy like Amari Cooper, considering who picks before us. Oakland might snatch that away from us, in which case, I think Sammie Coates is there at 9th in the second round and we need to consider picking him...the guy is a physical beast, probably pound for pound the strongest and most physically gifted player in the draft, actually. Watch him tomorrow against Wisconsin, I think you'll see what I mean. I think you get Cruz back into the slot position and allow Coates some reps at number 2 (though Randle's conclusion to the season was impressive and encouraging, I still don't think he's worth any extension aka any time spent with the Giants after his initial contract is up) and this offense is absolutely scary. I would like to see us feature a healthy Rashad Jennings and pick up a third down back while rotating Andre Williams in because Jennings proved he could produce behind this offensive line when he was healthy. I don't think the offensive line is as far away as many people here do. I think you keep John Jerry as a solid backup and replace him with a draft pick or perhaps a guy like Schwartz and that really is going to improve the unit as a whole. I don't know what to think of Walton because in some games, he performed and that unit kept Eli upright for the most part, especially against two good defenses in St. Louis and Philly. I don't see the pros of shaking that unit up beyond adding a piece here and there, especially since they seemed to be gelling quite well.

The defense is another story. I don't see the benefits of picking a safety at #9 but it's clear that the secondary is missing that key component. I would like to see them let Rolle walk, personally. But we have huge question marks behind him in Cooper Taylor and Nat Berhe (sp?). At 6'2, 230, Paul Dawson out of TCU intrigues the shit out of me as I think he's a player better suited for the safety position at the pro level. Could he be a game changer at linebacker? Probably, but I think he's undersized, personally. Get him down to 220 and put him in the secondary and you have a ball hawk (a form junior college WR) who excels in the open field and can blitz. He also translates to a solid outside linebacker, too, I just think his ball skills (the man had 4 picks) translate better to the safety position. Definitely an intriguing 2nd round pick. He absolutely owned Ole Miss today---they averaged 0.2 yards per carry on 30+ rushes. Dawson reminds me of Troy Polamalu....always around the ball.

If you go defense in the first round at #9, it has to be a defensive lineman, particularly a defensive end.

In the offensive ruts that we did have, how many times did we constantly see this Oline line just get pushed back 2-3 yards, ball carriers dropped behind the line of scrimmage, quarterback under duress even from just 3 to 4 d-lineman at times, and lately Captain Holding Penalty William Beatty.

Everything begins and ends with the offensive line. Guys like Walton and Jerry are sub-par. Richburg is either out of position or not ready yet, Pugh has been only okay, and Beatty is average. Collectively these five are disgustingly atrocious. Schwartz will certainly be an improvement but that's not enough.

If you ask me where the priority free agent money and draft picks go, it's to the offensive line. We need to bring in at least two solid veteran offensive lineman, and supplement that with at least one draft pick, better to have two.

If you look at the rest of the offensive positions, there's not much more that you're really worried about. OL OL OL damnit!!!

Well said.

The only thing i would even begin to argue here is that Beatty is average. He was a one man drive killer this year.