SportsWrath

Let's say we end up with a top 5 pick

Virginia Giant

Not sure the likelihood, but there are 8 teams counting us at 3-9 or worse, so there is a shot.

Do you want Jerry Reese puling the trigger? Or, assuming Reese is fired, a guy who will have been with the team for a few months making the most important pick since Eli?

I don't know, it's an important draft. Reese has a pretty good track record with first round selections. ODB, Prince, Nicks, JPP, Well, he has a decent track record.

Is it better to give the keys to a potentially unproven GM?

I just can't see Mara pulling a Snyder and clearing house in one season.

If anything Fewell gets the boot at the end of this season and maybe JR or Coughlin next season depending on results.

JR and Coughlin will get another season at the helm and I'm sure they'll make the right pick.

I think if Coughlin gets fired you will see JR get fired as well because it will be a while new regime change, I'm sure Coughlin will get a FO job though, heck maybe he even stays on as an assistant.

I just can't see Mara pulling a Snyder and clearing house in one season.

If anything Fewell gets the boot at the end of this season and maybe JR or Coughlin next season depending on results.

JR and Coughlin will get another season at the helm and I'm sure they'll make the right pick.

I think if Coughlin gets fired you will see JR get fired as well because it will be a while new regime change, I'm sure Coughlin will get a FO job though, heck maybe he even stays on as an assistant.

Coughlin will never get Fired. He will resign, Maybe Coughlin will turn GM if he goes to the FO. I get the feeling Reese says here is a bag of Onions make us an Apple pie when it comes to draft picks.

If he is willing to pull the trigger on Sammy Coates or Amari Cooper, I'd be fine with Reese making that decision.

We need OL and who knows what for D (the yearly we need LBers thread should be starting up shortly) ....we don't know what will happen to the DC or assistants yet if they all stay there is really no sense in getting your hopes up for next year either. With that said I don't think there is any one on here that thinks Fewell will stay. I feel its still to early to say we need this player or that player in the draft.

We need OL and who knows what for D (the yearly we need LBers thread should be starting up shortly) ....we don't know what will happen to the DC or assistants yet if they all stay there is really no sense in getting your hopes up for next year either. With that said I don't think there is any one on here that thinks Fewell will stay. I feel its still to early to say we need this player or that player in the draft.

I don't know, offensive lineman so rarely come in and make a difference as rookies that it's the one position that I'm fine looking to free agency for help. Finding a dominant playmaker to pair with Odell Beckham for the next 5+ years should certainly be a priority. It would also serve to solidify the slot position by getting Victor Cruz the hell out of the outside WR positions and back where he belongs and excels at. Getting a fellow true X or Y receiver to pair with Beckham has to be a priority

I don't know, offensive lineman so rarely come in and make a difference as rookies that it's the one position that I'm fine looking to free agency for help. Finding a dominant playmaker to pair with Odell Beckham for the next 5+ years should certainly be a priority. It would also serve to solidify the slot position by getting Victor Cruz the hell out of the outside WR positions and back where he belongs and excels at. Getting a fellow true X or Y receiver to pair with Beckham has to be a priority

I think you can get a solid WR in the second round though, the Giant's have gotten value out of that round anyways with WRs, Smith, Randle.

I think if a top 10 pick is what's in store for the Giant's they take a leader on the defense (if there is any worth that spot). Get a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, someone who is going to be on the defense for the next 10+ years who is going to lead the team.

Start getting some more leadership and core players on the team, WRs seem to leave the Giant's faster then they can draft them.

I think you can get a solid WR in the second round though, the Giant's have gotten value out of that round anyways with WRs, Smith, Randle.

I think if a top 10 pick is what's in store for the Giant's they take a leader on the defense (if there is any worth that spot). Get a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, someone who is going to be on the defense for the next 10+ years who is going to lead the team.

Start getting some more leadership and core players on the team, WRs seem to leave the Giant's faster then they can draft them.

In my opinion, Rueben Randle is a complete nonfactor in most games. He's a possession WR who they tried to make a #1 (or at least a #2, going back to when they assumed Cruz would be a #1) when in reality, he's better suited for converting 3rd downs on occasion and that's about it.

I do agree that we need defensive leaders, though. I just hate the thought of having to go defense in what will likely be at least a top 7 pick. I think we will pick top 5, to be honest. I don't see the Giants winning another game.

the offensive line men we get in the 5th round and on are not any better than the FA offensive line men we have had in the past. take some young corn fed guys and teach them. Don't go get a geriatric used up has been that got cut from another team, there was probably a reason he got cut..... like being replaced by a younger corn fed bruiser. besides there isnt any QB out there that will be getting the ball to your stud X,Y and Z if he is running for his life and not sitting pretty in the pocket.

Edit: Let me add this (I know not knowing how long Cruz's injury wil keep him out) next year Beckham #1, Cruz #2 ,Parker #3, Randle..... not sure if he is on the team if so maybe MAYBE #4 of course Washington is waiting in the weeds.

but if Cruz can come back next year Game 1 we will have a pretty good Wr corps . not to mention throwing Donnell in the mix hes got the foundation he just needs more refining

In my opinion, Rueben Randle is a complete nonfactor in most games. He's a possession WR who they tried to make a #1 (or at least a #2, going back to when they assumed Cruz would be a #1) when in reality, he's better suited for converting 3rd downs on occasion and that's about it.

I do agree that we need defensive leaders, though. I just hate the thought of having to go defense in what will likely be at least a top 7 pick. I think we will pick top 5, to be honest. I don't see the Giants winning another game.

Yeah it's hard to say with top 10, even top 5 picks, it's almost more of a burden than anything else.

I mean with the benching of RG the Third, people are saying that 2012 draft class the only first round pick worth a damn was Luck and that LB Carolina has.

I just don't see the Giant's getting another first round WR, unless he's going to be the next Calvin Johnson, and even than if I had to chose between the next Ray Lewis or Calvin Johnson for the Giant's right now, I would probably go with the LB.

But at the same time I'm from the school of thought that if you have a top 5 pick and there's no one there that every single expert is claiming he will be the next great thing, you trade back and get picks. Far to often these top five-ten picks end up being nothing but a waste of time for teams.

the offensive line men we get in the 5th round and on are not any better than the FA offensive line men we have had in the past. take some young corn fed guys and teach them. Don't go get a geriatric used up has been that got cut from another team, there was probably a reason he got cut..... like being replaced by a younger corn fed bruiser. besides there isnt any QB out there that will be getting the ball to your stud X,Y and Z if he is running for his life and not sitting pretty in the pocket.

Edit: Let me add this (I know not knowing how long Cruz's injury wil keep him out) next year Beckham #1, Cruz #2 ,Parker #3, Randle..... not sure if he is on the team if so maybe MAYBE #4 of course Washington is waiting in the weeds.

but if Cruz can come back next year Game 1 we will have a pretty good Wr corps . not to mention throwing Donnell in the mix hes got the foundation he just needs more refining

I want the biggest corn fed pasty face that Iowa or Nebraska can produce... :P But I could live with the second round... first round I want a WR or LB that can set the offense or defense on fire...

That's totally the wrong mentality... We need an a solid OL who will anchor the position for years to come... and those come thru the draft... FA, you only get overpriced or with too much tread on their tires....

That's totally the wrong mentality... We need an a solid OL who will anchor the position for years to come... and those come thru the draft... FA, you only get overpriced or with too much tread on their tires....

And yet, we won Super Bowls with that exact mentality. Clearly you don't overspend on guys. You get the Kareem Mckenzie and and Shaun Oharas of the world.

They spent on OL this year and arguably got the best guy out there, They spent money on a center who hasn't been that bad, and the rest of the line consists of 2 2nd rounders and a 1st. Getting a starting offensive line has been a focus. Plus remember Snee was supposed to play and he retired. The problem is no depth. Brewer and Jerry are fucking hopeless and they haven't gotten any steals late in the draft to supplement the line. Look what happened yesterday, the line went to shits when Schwartz got hurt. John Jerry is fine if his guy stays directly in front of him, but he never follows up his blocks, either upfield or the backfield. Watch him play and you'll see.The warning signs were there, Miami made no effort to keep him, and the word coming out of free agency was he was lazy, and he is.

Why is that everyone is overlooking the QB on this team?

I guess because they realize that while he's not Aaron Rodgers, Eli isn't bad if you get him an OL who can pass protect and receivers not named Odell who can get open.

And yet, we won Super Bowls with that exact mentality. Clearly you don't overspend on guys. You get the Kareem Mckenzie and and Shaun Oharas of the world.

Look I just want an OL built from the ground up.. yes it can be a mix but going heavier on the FA route means you will have to keep changing parts... And you're not always going to get lucky with the likes of O'Hara and McKenzie either... come to think of it.. we should go both routes...

Why is that everyone is overlooking the QB on this team?

Because we don't want to be the Jets... QB isn't great but he's serviceable and at least in my eyes he's top 15 in this league... hard to ask him to perform miracles when the OL is in shambles.

I guess because they realize that while he's not Aaron Rodgers, Eli isn't bad if you get him an OL who can pass protect and receivers not named Odell who can get open.

Most QB's can do that though, I've always been a fan of the guy.....but I've grown tired of his sloppy play. Yeah the O-line is shit, but his job is to protect the ball. It's getting old, very old.

Because we don't want to be the Jets... QB isn't great but he's serviceable and at least in my eyes he's top 15 in this league... hard to ask him to perform miracles when the OL is in shambles.

But aren't you tired of his slop play? So what at this point, the team is years from being good and we'll just waste more time on him anyway. We need a QB that can move around in the pocket better.