SportsWrath

Jerry Reese and the 2012 NFL Draft

RandolphScott

Two things:

First, I say this in pretty much every thread I see that criticizes Reese...the stats mean nothing if not compared with the drafts other teams have. If Reese has 3 guys over 2 years that stick...how does that stack up against other GMs? That's the real evaluation. And until someone is ready to compare the drafting records of 32 teams...then they should probably not bother with threads like this.

Secondly, there's a lot of talk about Randel not living up to his draft selection. Randle's issue is not so much not catching the ball. It's not running the wrong routes I don't think. With Randel, I think 99% of his problems come with the type of athlete he is. He's a long strider. In other words, the legs move slower, but they take longer steps. That's fine in some instances, but in football where you have to be quick in and out of breaks...or you have a DB bumping you at the line...it takes away EVERY advantage he has. Long striders are fly route guys and really, that's the only place they'll get open. This poses a problem, because our offense has become a short passing offense - which complicates things for Randle. Randle is athletic, he's just a different type of athletic that makes him a poor fit for this team. Doesn't mean he couldn't do well elsewhere, but still a poor fit. This offense is built for the Cruz's and Beckham's of the world. So, given Randle was selected while we were running a different offense and given he IS a good athlete - you can't bitch about that pick.

Two things:

First, I say this in pretty much every thread I see that criticizes Reese...the stats mean nothing if not compared with the drafts other teams have. If Reese has 3 guys over 2 years that stick...how does that stack up against other GMs? That's the real evaluation. And until someone is ready to compare the drafting records of 32 teams...then they should probably not bother with threads like this.

Secondly, there's a lot of talk about Randel not living up to his draft selection. Randle's issue is not so much not catching the ball. It's not running the wrong routes I don't think. With Randel, I think 99% of his problems come with the type of athlete he is. He's a long strider. In other words, the legs move slower, but they take longer steps. That's fine in some instances, but in football where you have to be quick in and out of breaks...or you have a DB bumping you at the line...it takes away EVERY advantage he has. Long striders are fly route guys and really, that's the only place they'll get open. This poses a problem, because our offense has become a short passing offense - which complicates things for Randle. Randle is athletic, he's just a different type of athletic that makes him a poor fit for this team. Doesn't mean he couldn't do well elsewhere, but still a poor fit. This offense is built for the Cruz's and Beckham's of the world. So, given Randle was selected while we were running a different offense and given he IS a good athlete - you can't bitch about that pick.

I agree with you on Reese and the Draft. I disagree about Randle. Rueben Randle just can't catch or run routes and those are the two things you must do as a successful WR in the NFL. Sure we have a short passing game this season, what was the excuse the last two seasons?

I agree with you on Reese and the Draft. I disagree about Randle. Rueben Randle just can't catch or run routes and those are the two things you must do as a successful WR in the NFL. Sure we have a short passing game this season, what was the excuse the last two seasons?

Last year, I don't believe Eli had the time to throw longer developing routes and that played into a lot of it in 2013. Like I said, Randle isn't a guy who's going to gain a ton of separation based solely on his running style. Further, he hasn't shown the ability to catch a contested ball. Beyond that, defenses learned quickly that getting him at the line of scrimmage before he gets going is the best way to stop him.

I guess my point is, that if Randle could better learn how to get his own body positioned between the defender and the ball - to lessen the defender's ability to contest the catch - it'd pay huge dividends. I don't think Randle will ever be the wide open receiver or the 3rd down go-to guy because he's not quick enough to find and take advantage of the holes in a defense. I don't know that it has anything to do with running the right routes or not being able to catch.

He did lead the receivers for TDs last year. He had some fuck ups but he was still a serviceable WR.

Randles not useless he's just very frustrating because we all know he has the tools to be better

Randle can be a very good 3rd or 4th option at WR...

Speaking of WR according to NJ.com we may see a bit more of Washington this weekend.

Randle can be a very good 3rd or 4th option at WR...

Speaking of WR according to NJ.com we may see a bit more of Washington this weekend.

I hope so, he was good from what I saw of him.

can't hurt at this point.

Reuben Randle looks exactly how I look when I'm watching him play.....

RUEBENRANDLEARMY09150.JPG

That and for whatever reason Eli goes to Randle with his first few passes of the game always. I guess that's just to keep his head in the game, but my lord does Randle just suck ass.

I don't think anybody else on this board realizes this besides Seph, Joe and myself

i've been pounding the "you guys are overrating randle" drum since before last season

I've never thought of him as a good #1 or a #2 to begin with... something about his footwork, body language, and overall body of work... there's just no there.. there. I've always looked at him as a shade slower than Manningham... Mannin

"we can just sign cruz and have randle be our #1" was the general consensus two offseasons ago

Not mine... The idea was Cruz and a Healthy (motivated) Nicks or a replacement of similar or better quality... ODB strikes me as a great WR but we need someone on the other side to command double teams and Cruz at #3... yea that's how good our WR corp can be with a Dez Bryant next year... or whoever we can get.

gham 2.0 basically.