SportsWrath

Giants To Honor Osi With Pre-Game Highlight Video

Mr. P

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Defensive end Osi Umenyiora admittedly had some forgettable moments with the Giants. There were even more memorable ones though.

Umenyiora, in his second year with the Atlanta Falcons, spent nine seasons with the Giants and won two Super Bowls. He recorded 75.0 sacks, 33 forced fumbles and was named an All-Pro and Pro Bowler.

The outspoken pass rusher also had his fair share of confrontations (usually involving contract disputes) and bolted as a free agent after the 2012. It has left some doubt about how he will be received upon his return to MetLife Stadium on Sunday afternoon when the Giants host the Falcons.

"I haven't really thought about that. I think I left there on good terms," Umenyiora said. "So I don't think ... why there would be a bad or chilly reception or nothing like that. However they feel, that's OK with me."

The Giants plan to honor Umenyiora with a pregame highlight video. It's similar to what they did last season prior to a preseason game with the Colts, when running back Ahmad Bradshaw returned for his first game against his former team.

Giants fans seem to appear on either end of the spectrum with Umenyiora. There is no in between.

They either love him for his play on the field or harbor hard feelings for his shenanigans off it. Umenyiora will forever be remembered by some as the outspoken player that essentially called general manager Jerry Reese a liar for reneging on a promise to redo his contract.

Over the years though, Umenyiora insists the broken relationships have been repaired.

"I have a lot of love for pretty much everyone over there," he said. "So I'm not looking forward to going over there and destroying my former team as most people would think. I just have a job to do and I have to execute."

Umenyiora spoke highly of many of his former teammates. He raved about left tackle Will Beatty playing at a Pro Bowl level, even jokingly taking credit for the resurgence because their matchup was looming. He spoke highly of defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul's growth and improved technique. He called Eli Manning his "brother."

The 11-year veteran even hesitated when asked if he wanted to end his career with the Giants. Maybe he wants to see if the fans welcome him back first.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/10/osi_umenyiora_doesnt_expect_bad_or_chilly_reception_from_giants_fans_on_sunday.html

Why?

Did Osi retire or die?

I don't get it.

Was he an all time top 10 Giants player?

The fans giving him a standing O should be good enough.

They did it for Bradshaw last season too.

I have no problem with this once a player retires, but why the fuck would you want to honor someone who's trying to score points for the other team?

"Yes... Osi is a great player, and a great man. Lets hope he gets 3 sacks on Eli today, because we really like him so much... so much, we didn't re-sign him."

It just doesn't seem to make any sense on any level.

What an awful beginning line for this story. Of course, the highlights should have a caption crediting Strahan

Every Giants Line Man...most notably Chad Bradzke should have a retroactive clause in their contracts giving up at least 20% of their annual salaries to the architect of their success... Strahan...

I have no problem with this once a player retires, but why the fuck would you want to honor someone who's trying to score points for the other team?

"Yes... Osi is a great player, and a great man. Lets hope he gets 3 sacks on Eli today, because we really like him so much... so much, we didn't re-sign him."

It just doesn't seem to make any sense on any level.

Because at the end of the day, it's just a game.

Not like these guys hate each other or anything.

The Giant's did it for Bradshaw.

Why?

Did Osi retire or die?

I don't get it.

Was he an all time top 10 Giants player?

The fans giving him a standing O should be good enough.

He's playing with the Falcons now, they play the Giants on Sunday. Front office wants Osi's "little brother" Eli to make it through the season. :laugh:

His, and everyones uniform should be clean since they play on fieldturf.

Might have some rubber pellets in his shoe...

Anyway, all due respect but unless they do one for Keith Hamilton, then they shouldn't do it for anyone else. Not when Keith is driving through the streets looking for dope, those other times when he was pushing his guy into the qb and allowing Stray one on ones for sacks