SportsWrath

Donkey Kong wants to play in NY next year

Lughead

Point is, if he truly wants to be here more than anywhere else, he'll take less money than anywhere else to be here. That'll be the test of his priorities...money vs. football.

I think that the Giants would be foolish not to at least take a flier on him and explore the opportunity in the offseason. Make an offer and stick to their guns. Do it before the draft, and call it a day. If it happens for us, so be it. But if another team throws ridiculous money at him, which I personally believe will happen, then you let him sign elsewhere. But again, it'd be stupid not to at least take it into consideration.

I agree, he's the kind of player that impacts the entire defense. Just thinking about a line that includes, him and JPP, with the other young defensive linemen we have, really gets my blood pumping. Would be a fun defense to watch. Defense wins championships.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, we now have an idea of what Suh might cost us. Gerald McCoy, the best DT nobody ever hears about, because he plays in Tampa, was drafted 3rd overall in 2010, one spot behind Suh. He was coming to the end of his rookie contract, too, just like Suh. The Bucs just resigned him for 7 years, $98M, with $51.5M guaranteed. You better believe Suh will want every bit as much and knowing him, a dollar more. Suh turns 28 in January, so he'll be closer to 29 by the time the 2015 season starts. You wanna give him $14M per year for his age 29 to 35 years? I love the guy's talent - he's a beast - but that's a risky deal to say the least. Yeah, I know he said he wants to play in NY and maybe he'll take a little less, figuring he'll make up the diff in off field deals......but unless he'd take fewer years - CAVEAT EMPTOR!

And yes, I realize "only" $51.5 is guaranteed in McCoy's deal but that still works out to a cool $7.35M per season. That's a big number if it's dead cap space.

OK, we now have an idea of what Suh might cost us. Gerald McCoy, the best DT nobody ever hears about, because he plays in Tampa, was drafted 3rd overall in 2010, one spot behind Suh. He was coming to the end of his rookie contract, too, just like Suh. The Bucs just resigned him for 7 years, $98M, with $51.5M guaranteed. You better believe Suh will want every bit as much and knowing him, a dollar more. Suh turns 28 in January, so he'll be closer to 29 by the time the 2015 season starts. You wanna give him $14M per year for his age 29 to 35 years? I love the guy's talent - he's a beast - but that's a risky deal to say the least. Yeah, I know he said he wants to play in NY and maybe he'll take a little less, figuring he'll make up the diff in off field deals......but unless he'd take fewer years - CAVEAT EMPTOR!

And yes, I realize "only" $51.5 is guaranteed in McCoy's deal but that still works out to a cool $7.35M per season. That's a big number if it's dead cap space.

hehe, that rhymes.

Well let's hope Bromley is ready next year then.. I don't think this team has what it takes this year.. not unless there's a major change of philosophy at the defensive level... this who ideal is "bend over and hope it won't hurt" isn't working.

I'd take the risk with Suh, because I think he's that special. I believe he's a HOF talent. But you have to have enough players around Eli. It would be nice if Eli would take a salary reduction to put him in the range of what he should be paid amongst starting QB's in the NFL. We could afford an extra superstar.

I'd do five years, not seven.

The longer the deal, the more years you can spread out the guaranteed money.

4 years, average 7.5 million per year...throw in 10 million signing bonus. That's $40 million total. No more. And that's only if we can resign JPP first.

The longer the deal, the more years you can spread out the guaranteed money.

4 years, average 7.5 million per year...throw in 10 million signing bonus. That's $40 million total. No more. And that's only if we can resign JPP first.

Yeah, I go along with something like that. Problem is, Suh and his agent would not.

Yeah, I go along with something like that. Problem is, Suh and his agent would not.

Then let him sign elsewhere. I said before, we'd be dumb not to at least take a flier on the guy. Work him out, check his attitude, make him an offer that won't fuck the team over, but won't be overly insulting either. Given we have JPP to take care of, perhaps Suh would be a little more understanding.

Is JPP worth a big contract? We can't pay him for his potential anymore, he has to be producing.

He's producing although not consistently... but I think some has to do with him being out there by himself with no one on the DL doing shit (although Hankin is doing well).

Is JPP worth a big contract? We can't pay him for his potential anymore, he has to be producing.

At first blush, it appears he's been pretty good against the run this year and he's putting forth effort on passing downs. And that would lead you to wanting to resign him.

But then you look and there are 149 players in the league who have more tackles than he does. There are 33 players with more sacks than he does.

Among defensive linemen - there are 21 with more sacks but there are only 4 who have more total tackles than JPP.

What that tells me is that he's focused on the run first and the QB 2nd.

I'm afraid I see the Giants getting into another Will Beatty trap here. Recall that when Beatty's contract was up, we had nobody else on the roster to play Left Tackle and Beatty was one of the only experienced guys on the market. He had shown enough flashes and potential that he could be a solid LT that he would attract offers.......but because the Giants had nobody else, they simply could not be outbid and wound up overpaying.

David Bass was a similar situation. We had a big hole at Center and he was not only the top rated Center, he was about the only established Center, meaning he would also attract offers and once again, we needed him more and couldn't afford to be outbid. Baas parlayed being in the right place at the right time into a contact beyond his talent level.

With Kiwi almost certainly in his final year as a Giant, we have Da Monster ready to step into one DE spot. But who else do we have? Ayers? Wynn? JPP will undoubtedly attract offers. Can the Giants afford, from a positional need standpoint or from a PR standpoint, to let him walk? JPP and his agent will have the hammer in these negotiations.

I'm afraid I see the Giants getting into another Will Beatty trap here. Recall that when Beatty's contract was up, we had nobody else on the roster to play Left Tackle and Beatty was one of the only experienced guys on the market. He had shown enough flashes and potential that he could be a solid LT that he would attract offers.......but because the Giants had nobody else, they simply could not be outbid and wound up overpaying.

David Bass was a similar situation. We had a big hole at Center and he was not only the top rated Center, he was about the only established Center, meaning he would also attract offers and once again, we needed him more and couldn't afford to be outbid. Baas parlayed being in the right place at the right time into a contact beyond his talent level.

With Kiwi almost certainly in his final year as a Giant, we have Da Monster ready to step into one DE spot. But who else do we have? Ayers? Wynn? JPP will undoubtedly attract offers. Can the Giants afford, from a positional need standpoint or from a PR standpoint, to let him walk? JPP and his agent will have the hammer in these negotiations.

A lot too, depends on how many DEs hit the open market. I'm not up on how many and who will be available.

At first blush, it appears he's been pretty good against the run this year and he's putting forth effort on passing downs. And that would lead you to wanting to resign him.

But then you look and there are 149 players in the league who have more tackles than he does. There are 33 players with more sacks than he does.

Among defensive linemen - there are 21 with more sacks but there are only 4 who have more total tackles than JPP.

What that tells me is that he's focused on the run first and the QB 2nd.

I've watched him and teams bring a lot of attention his way, he gets chipped by a RB or TE on almost every play and teams are running to the opposite RT side away from JPP. We need someone across from him. PFF has him rated +16 against the run(second in the NFL) and +19 overall

I've watched him and teams bring a lot of attention his way, he gets chipped by a RB or TE on almost every play and teams are running to the opposite RT side away from JPP. We need someone across from him

That's a good point too...just because he's not making a play, doesn't mean he's not drawing attention...dictating the opposing offense to do certain things. I said earlier in the thread, when it was still about Suh, that the Giants should be interested in Suh, but only after they resign JPP. Determining the value for JPP will be difficult if the attention is there, but the stats aren't.