SportsWrath

Predict your busts

HOUND

I see an awful lot of people predicting the past. Some don't even do a good job of that!

Then there's the rush to assign draft grades to every team which is retarded considering it'll be 3 years before we know how this draft went.

What I want to know is, who are the 1 round picks who will be busts for their respective teams from teh 2006 draft?

I define "Bust" as a guy who either can't crack the starting lineup due to a lack of playing ability or football intelligence, or a guy who collects enough off-field arrests, violations, etc. that he's either suspended, cut or bagging groceries within a few years. For the most part, I'd say a guy has to be a first rounder to even qualify as a bust but if some of you want to look into early 2nd round, I'll allow it.

For example, I'd venture to say, that several will select Bills safety Donte Whitner as he was hardly viewed as a top 10 selection on any draft board. However I don't consider Whitner a bust as I think he will be a solid competitor, even if he never does perform at a top 10 level.

That being the case ... here are Hound's fearless predictions (try not to copy them):

QB Matt Leinart - 10th overall to Arizona

CB Tye Hill - 15th overall to St Louis

DE Tamba Hali - 20th overall to Kansas City

DT John McCargo - 26th overall to Buffalo

I wanted to add Kam Wimbley to the list but I have too much respect for Phil Savage in Cleveland. Jonathan Joseph on Cincy got serious consideration too. I actually like him as a prospect but he might be the riskiest pick of the 1st round. Bengals are making a pretty big gamble. I didn't think Seattle should've taken CB Kelly Jennings as I don't think he's first round caliber but I don't think he's a washout either. Looking at the draft, I'm amazed the Seahawks didn't take Kiwanuka. He's a far superiro rusher than they could've hoped to land at that spot and Grant Wistrom isn't getting any better. I think Seahawk fans will regret that in a few years.

I don't know if you could consider this a bust, but I think that Mario Williams is going to seem like it for a long time. When you think about Houston passing on Reggie Bush and how the Houston fans reacted to that, he is going to have to be outstanding almost immediately in order to get past the circumstances in which he was drafted. That he's a defensive lineman, the liklihood of that happening is going to be very small.

I think he's going to be good, maybe even with Houston, but it won't be recognized until he ends up on another team.

did you watch the playoff game vs. the panthers last year????

av-3148.jpg

Yeah.......you mean the one where we went to the playoffs in Eli's FIRST full season. The exact same year we won the division and swept the Eagles??

Let's compare that to the amount of big games McNubbins choked in.

LMAO....

so Manning is why NY lost the game...

nice!

Philly is the choke capital of the sporting world....

:rock:

i'm not saying he's the only reason, but i know for a fact that if mcnabb went 10-18 for 153 yards 0 tds, 3 INTs and 4 sacks at home you'd be saying he chocked

i'm not saying he's the only reason, but i know for a fact that if mcnabb went 10-18 for 153 yards 0 tds, 3 INTs and 4 sacks at home you'd be saying he chocked

Not if he took his team to the playoffs in his first full year. Beside, McChoke does it in much bigger fashion.

he looked pretty tired in the final mins of the SB....

dispite his "good" stats...

Take your schoolgirl logic someplace else and stop threadjacking. Be happy I didn't predict Bunkley as a bust.

thanks, i was worried for a second......at least bunkley will play his 1st year.

i look for mathias kwikimart to be a special team ace for the next few years as he waits for strahan to retire!!!!

plus mcnabb made the probowl and didn't have nearly as much help as prince manning. he only had one other offensive probowler on the roster. his receivers were torrence small and charles johnson and his starting rb (duce staley) was injured in week 5 for the season

so let's not compare eli to mcnabb

Getting back to the subject, I happen to disagree with some of your selections, and the Leinart pick is bold since he probably couldn't be in a better situation. I actually like McCargo, Hill and Hali, and I think they are all going to be productive players for their respective teams.

If I had to predict a few busts, I'd start with Jay Cutler. I just haven't seen much that much from him that would convince me he's the real deal.

I think that in 3 years, Mario Williams is going to have to overcome a lot to be considered worthy of the 1st pick.

Haloti Ngata

Ernie Simms

Marcedes Lewis

Mathias Kiwanuka-Sorry guys...Hound, I know your especially high on Kiwi, but I was never too high on him to begin with, and he's going to have a fight getting some playing time. I was never sold on his playing style, and he's going to have to make a lot of improvements to make it in the NFL, IMO. Of course, it would be a pleasure to be wrong.

thanks, i was worried for a second......at least bunkley will play his 1st year.

i look for mathias kwikimart to be a special team ace for the next few years as he waits for strahan to retire!!!!

Having your 1st round pick not start his first year because of the pre-existing talent level is hardly a dilemma.

How can anyone take this debate seriously? The tale of the tape is simple: we won the East, we're back on top, the Beagles are back where they belong and their window closed with a whimper.

Philly (the new Boston) is a haven for second best and we should all revel in our dominance over them. Debate positions, the past, should'a, would'a, and could'a, but in the end, it's a sad place without a championship since before most of this MB was born.

Critique our team our draft, we won the East

Critique our QB, not worried

Critique our D, we've gotten better

Critque it all, when we win it again the only fight the Beagles will have is at the bottom with Washington..again

Getting back to the subject, I happen to disagree with some of your selections, and the Leinart pick is bold since he probably couldn't be in a better situation. I actually like McCargo, Hill and Hali, and I think they are all going to be productive players for their respective teams.

If I had to predict a few busts, I'd start with Jay Cutler. I just haven't seen much that much from him that would convince me he's the real deal.

I think that in 3 years, Mario Williams is going to have to overcome a lot to be considered worthy of the 1st pick.

Haloti Ngata

Ernie Simms

Marcedes Lewis

Mathias Kiwanuka-Sorry guys...Hound, I know your especially high on Kiwi, but I was never too high on him to begin with, and he's going to have a fight getting some playing time. I was never sold on his playing style, and he's going to have to make a lot of improvements to make it in the NFL, IMO. Of course, it would be a pleasure to be wrong.

Wow Barens, we have almost polar opposite picks! I like Cutler and think of the three he's going to the best team. I think he's in a good position to learn the O at a nice slow pace. I doubt he'll make much of a splash in his first two seasons but I think that's due more to the teams present QB situation than any lack in skill.

I think Ngata is in a great situation in Baltimore. He's a perfect fit.

I love Ernie Sims. Even though Detroit got him and they always seem to bungle their first rounders, I have confidence that Marinelli will make him an absolute stud.

Lewis I may agree with. I don't think he'll set the world on fire but I don't think he'll be horrible either. I don't expect much from him his rookie season.

I've stated my case on Kiwi.

I don't think Williams should be judged as a number 1 pick. If he averages 7.5 sacks a year his first three seasons, I don't see how he can be labelled a bust. There are plenty of guys who went #1 overall who were good, but not great players.