SportsWrath

Enough about coaching...what players does this team need? (incredibly long-winded)

fishgutmartyr

Great post Fish, and I agree with alot of it.

If there were 4 players I could take, it would be 2 guards, a center and an OLB that can actually defeat a runningback's block on a blitz.

For the last 2 years, I've watched teams bring blitzes that our runningbacks struggle to neutralize, and then watch as the Giants blitzes get handled with ease......it really pisses me off.

As for Beatty, he sucked this season, and Eli's performance was directly affected. Unfortunately, Beatty is probably the best option at left tackle next season, but I would certainly look for opportunities to upgrade....if that means sliding Pugh over there, fine. I understand the cap math makes cutting him financially impossible, but that doesn't mean he gets the to retain the 2nd most important spot on this team.

I think Beatty can rebound, but not unless he has a much better guard than Boothe to play alongside.

And Eli needs a much better center in front of him.

Snee might need to stick around another season, because Brewer is little more than an huge child out there.

To me, it's all about the line, plus a SAM linebacker that is capable of blitzing and covering.

As shitty as this team has become, it still have a great coach, and a great QB.....most GMs wish they were in the position that Reese is in.

And now they have an offensive coordinator that sounds like he's going to work tirelessly to get the most out of whatever roster he gets.

If Reese can't rebuild this offensive line, then Mara needs to bounce his overrated ass out the door.

Joe, agree with about all of this, except that as things stand there's no way we keep Snee. He costs too much for too little.

I think more will be put into linebacker. Haven't given up hope with Paysinger, I think playing alongside Beason helped a lot. But it is a great chance to revive that squad, and they should take it. I'm not sure how they'll do it, though.

I don't think it would be too bad if we got the 2012 Beatty back--the question is: will we? We won't know until it's too late, and we can't risk it. The interior line is a must with a pocket-passer.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/01/ben_mcadoo_a_look_at_packers_offensive_free_agents_and_how_they_may_fit_giants.html

Evan Dietrich-Smith might be the best choice at center. Knows a good chunk of the offense, a vet. If we go drafting guards, he's got to be the guy to hold it together. The time to draft a center was 3 years ago--when we had vet guards that needed less guidance. It isn't now.

I wonder how Snee can perform at center... His physique is that of O'Hara... The Giants will shore up the OLine and Snee... Restructuring (taking a pay cut really) and moving to center can be very good for all parties. Thoughts?

I wonder how Snee can perform at center... His physique is that of O'Hara... The Giants will shore up the OLine and Snee... Restructuring (taking a pay cut really) and moving to center can be very good for all parties. Thoughts?

My thoughts are Snee looked done at guard, and has never played center. I don't like it.

If that's the case, let's hold onto Diehl and let's move him to center. He's much cheaper.

I suspect playing guard is tougher (although slightly) than playing center... Snee unlike Diehl has something left AND his physique mirrors O'Hara/Richie... I'd like to find out if the team at least had that option.

I suspect playing guard is tougher (although slightly) than playing center... Snee unlike Diehl has something left AND his physique mirrors O'Hara/Richie... I'd like to find out if the team at least had that option.

I suspect that you suspect wrong. I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion but center is like guard except with the extra responsibilty of snapping the ball to the center, helping call out blocking schemes etc. Thats why centers move to guard when they don't do as well at center and guards move to center when they play extremely well.

You seem to have it backwards.

I suspect that you suspect wrong. I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion but center is like guard except with the extra responsibilty of snapping the ball to the center, helping call out blocking schemes etc. Thats why centers move to guard when they don't do as well at center and guards move to center when they play extremely well.

You seem to have it backwards.

I have no faith in Baas... I do think Snee can be a better center than Baas but that's not really saying much.